Thread: Out in the Bush

Default Out in the Bush

Hello Everyone!

I haven't been around in a while. Actually, not since right after I moved here from Connecticut. I did the dry cabin for a year, went without T.V for 2 years.

I was watching this show "Life Below Zero" and it made me wonder, if so,e of these people actually own the land they built on or just built on state land? There is a guy in Wiseman who lives by subsistence and does guide work in the summer. I don't get the feeling that he owns the land, it feels like he just found a nice spot and built. Can that be done legally in Alaska?

I learned a lot of what I know from all of you on here before I moved here. I was told then, that every 2 weeks I had to move a mile when camping on state land. Now I see a possible contradiction, and would like to know if it's possible to find a spot, build, subsistence hunt, trap, and fish, even if you don't own the land?

Thanks

Jeff
    My Brothers in Arms, I Will Never Be Able to Shake the Hands of the Real Heroes.

No it is not legal.
    It is illegal and any structures found can be trespassed. After then the State can remove the cabin (after giving the owner of the cabin a short time to remove it)

It is possible as long as you move every two weeks. You cannot build on it, and yes even tent platforms left over two weeks are illegal.

Setting up and using a camp for personal, noncommercial recreational purposes, or for any non-recreational purpose
    (such as a support camp during mineral exploration), for no more than 14 days at one site, using a tent platform or other
    temporary structure that can readily be dismantled and removed, or a floathouse that can readily be moved. Moving the
    entire camp at least two miles starts a new 14-day period. Cabins or other permanent improvements are not allowed,
    even if they are on skids or another non-permanent foundation. The camp must be removed immediately if the
    department determines that it interferes with public access or other public uses or interests.

http://dnr.alaska.gov/mlw/factsht/gen_allow_use.pdf

Most of these tv companies have gotten in trouble with the state at one time or another, and they do need filming permits. SO chances are they either own the property, or it is on native lands or allotments or they rent it.

Or they can be squatting on federal or native lands
    2000 Bayliner Ciera Express 2452
    5.0 Mercruiser Alpha 1

Thank you AlaskanMutt, it is how I remember the law, but I needed to ask anyway.

Jeff
    My Brothers in Arms, I Will Never Be Able to Shake the Hands of the Real Heroes.

Corpsman, Hope all has been well with you. There was talk some time back as to what had happen to you. Bring us up to date.

Yep trapping cabins are legal with permit up to three cabins. I'm sure Eric owns his land and plane and lots of other stuff.
    http://www.bushwhackalaska.com/
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

But you have to be an established trapper and show receipts to get the permits, plus the state can let other trappers use the cabins. you are only supposed to use them while actively trapping.

http://dnr.alaska.gov/mlw/factsht/trap_cabin.pdf
    2000 Bayliner Ciera Express 2452
    5.0 Mercruiser Alpha 1

I'm sure Eric passed muster and doubt anyone is trapping on top of him to need his cabin,just ain't done.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you