Thread: kenai Black bear hunt

Default kenai Black bear hunt

Flying up from Florida tomorrow and still cannot decide if I should bring my rifle to go black bear hunting or not on the kenai penn.going to be there the 4th thru the 18th .looked into getting a boat to hunt PWS out of whitter but they wanted a little to much . Probley just be hiking in around moose pass or reserection trail near exit glacier .Any ideas

Red face

Rob: If you hike the Resurrection trail up from Exit Glacier you will likely see bears whether you want to or not. There are lots of brown and black bears in there. If you dont bring your gun probably by Murphys law you will see lots of them. Have a good hike!

Pete
    I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. Fred Bear

how far up Res. trail do you have to go to get into bears? I might end up tryin' this also; came up dry this year on my bear hunt.

Thanks,

~Jon

We had one at about 12 yards that would not get off the trail on the way out from Aspen Flat Cabin last Sunday, easy shooting if hunting. I had to shoot in front of him to get him off the trail.

AKFishOn- Are you talking about the Russian lakes trail? I had the same incodent on the trail last year but we WERE hunting! ended up with a nice 6 footer with a superb coat!

Yep talking about the Russina Lakes Trail, I was out with the kids and the wife and hunting was not on the list having already got a black this Spring. But looking back the wife could have made a very easy shot at this black bear that would not get off the trail. And I would guess she was a 6+ bear with what looked like a very nice hide. Oh well that would have made the 45 pound pack I was carrying much heavier and the bike ride out more of a bike push. My wife was somewhat put down by the fact she could have had the opportunity to shoot a nice one but we were not prepared for it only knife I had was a leatherman.

Yeah, the lower end of Resurrection trail has lots of brown and black bears. You have to make noise and still should have protection on that section of trail if you are hiking. A family member had to fire three times and yell before he could get a brownie to stop following his trail up a tree where he was stand hunting blackies. To hunt the blackies you would do best above treeline where you could glass. Another option would be to watch a slide. Take a few bears out of that area and give the hikers a break. Too bad the brownies are not available as they are thick.
    I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. Fred Bear

Can you get above the treeline pretty easily? Could this be a day hunt or would this be like doing Devils pass and you'd need to pack back?

Thanks,

Jon

You could day hunt that area and if you dont go in too far you can get above treeline pretty fast after heading uphill. The only problem is, the reason there are alot of bears there is its thick. You have to bushwack to get anywhere off the trail. Lots of alder and devils club. If there wasnt there probably wouldnt be a lot of bears in there. Good luck!

Talking Black Bear

Thanks all for the advice . I didn't harvest a Bear but it was not for the lack of bears . It was a good couple of days and more than likley I will do it agian next year.Agian thanks for the advice

Where did you decide to hunt?

Did you hunt Resurrection? I'm assuming this area will be good come fall; I'm looking at heading back in then.

~Jon