Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ever had a bear try to cross a river after being shot?

Default Ever had a bear try to cross a river after being shot?

I’m about to setup my first bait station. It’s close to ariver and on the other side is a close area. The river is very shallow now witha 6’ bank, but has the potential to 40’ wide and 4’ to 6’ deep. Average is half that. My concern is after I shot him and he has enoughlife in him to run, would he try to cross the river? Concern #2, If said bear does cross the river to aclosed area, am I in deep doo doo?

They sink when dead. They will often gas up and float in about 10 to 20 days.

LoL, Not the answer I was looking for, but thanks for the laugh.

Quote Originally Posted by ASUS-DAG View Post
    LoL, Not the answer I was looking for, but thanks for the laugh.
    Not very often that we hear "lol" around here. You need to get help with your texting problem.
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

yes...it doesn't seem to deter them. my dad had one run/swim across a river. they can go suprisingly far when hit.

Quote Originally Posted by SkinnyD View Post
    Not very often that we hear "lol" around here. You need to get help with your texting problem.
    Wow, You must have 4merguide on ignore. He uses "lol" every other post, and has cute little "things" on all his other ones!

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    Not from my experience (brown bear)... Only when gutted. Like the New Gangsters said, ya got to gut them before ya toss them off the bridge! And yes they will absolutely cross the river....maybe,.? As far as retrieving it in a closed area ya better call the land manager and trooper before ya do. And then after you have been told yes by both ya better have it in writing and/or hire a good lawyer.

I'd not consider anything a barrier to a bear once shot, and most definitely not a river.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

Quote Originally Posted by CapnMike View Post
    Wow, You must have 4merguide on ignore. He uses "lol" every other post, and has cute little "things" on all his other ones!
    So sorry that bothers you........NOT...!!!..........LOL.....

I watched a video of what was once the #5 brownie (still may be I don't know) get drilled by an arrow, then swim back across a creek, climb up the bank on the other side, start to walk away, wobble and drop dead. Sometimes they can go a long ways when they're "dead".....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by CapnMike View Post
    I am a huge fan of 4merguide! I knew he was a staunch supporter of emoticon use but never noticed the "lol" part. Looks like he's used it in 5 of his last 25 posts... not quite every other one, but at 20% he's still above average. Good catch, CapnCaribou.
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

We shot one this fall at seventy yards three times he jumped in lake then back out shot him couple more times, back in lake for over ten minutes. He then swam 600 yards across and got out the other side. When he got out the weight of his huge body 29" skull, and the fact he was full of holes he couldn't go anywhere. I shot him at 300 and dropped him. Actually I had been running and shot over my pack. Shot was four feet low and skipped off the water and dropped him... I then walked up to him and he still tried to get back in the lake. Put two more in him at 20 yards and his nose was in the water. Kinda ugly scene but I was dang glad he didn't die in that water! Worst part after i was very short on ammo and still plenty of bears around with a night time walk back to camp. Have seen them do amazing stuff after being shot.

Quote Originally Posted by SkinnyD View Post
    I am a huge fan of 4merguide! I knew he was a staunch supporter of emoticon use but never noticed the "lol" part. Looks like he's used it in 5 of his last 25 posts... not quite every other one, but at 20% he's still above average. Good catch, CapnCaribou.
    Now if'n they had a real good sarcastic emoticon I'd would probably have to use THAT almost every post...!!! Oh and, basically I started to use "lol" a lot so people wouldn't get bent outta shape all the time. Thus the need for a REALLY good sarcastic "cute little thing".......

Quote Originally Posted by hunttolive View Post
    We shot one this fall at seventy yards three times he jumped in lake then back out shot him couple more times, back in lake for over ten minutes. He then swam 600 yards across and got out the other side. When he got out the weight of his huge body 29" skull, and the fact he was full of holes he couldn't go anywhere. I shot him at 300 and dropped him. Actually I had been running and shot over my pack. Shot was four feet low and skipped off the water and dropped him... I then walked up to him and he still tried to get back in the lake. Put two more in him at 20 yards and his nose was in the water. Kinda ugly scene but I was dang glad he didn't die in that water! Worst part after i was very short on ammo and still plenty of bears around with a night time walk back to camp. Have seen them do amazing stuff after being shot.
    what type of .22lr ammo were you using? they are pretty darn tough thats for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by cjustinm View Post
    what type of .22lr ammo were you using? they are pretty darn tough thats for sure.
    Yup........ how they can run with two blown out shoulders is beyond me.....

Quote Originally Posted by hunttolive View Post
    Actually I had been running and shot over my pack. Shot was four feet low and skipped off the water and dropped him....
    One in a million shot........crazy!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ASUS-DAG View Post
    I’m about to setup my first bait station. It’s close to ariver and on the other side is a close area. The river is very shallow now witha 6’ bank, but has the potential to 40’ wide and 4’ to 6’ deep. Average is half that. My concern is after I shot him and he has enoughlife in him to run, would he try to cross the river? Concern #2, If said bear does cross the river to aclosed area, am I in deep doo doo?
    Yes, while guiding a bear hunter by Bruin Bay one time we shot the bear across the river from us and he began swimming to the side we were on. He expired in the river.

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    The one we shot did float and I actually had to go swimming out in the river to pull him in. A little scary, because I wasn't sure if he had any life left in him and I had to grab him by the toe and pull him in.

Bears love water. Even when shot. And yep, they do sink. And roll really well in a current.
    Since bears don't know they are dying they will commit to activities with intent to finish it but sometimes don't. Like swim a lake or river or try to climb a tree or rape you....lol
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

I am going to save this thread for the next person that says I don't "need" a .375...

I'm starting to wonder if I should have gone .458...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by limon32 View Post

I'm starting to wonder if I should have gone .458...

Wouldn't hurt..............well, you're shoulder maybe.......

(btw, I'm trying to not use "lol" now since I've just found out how uncouth it is)......lol....DANG IT...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Wouldn't hurt..............well, you're shoulder maybe.......

(btw, I'm trying to not use "lol" now since I've just found out how uncouth it is)......lol....DANG IT...!!!
    Ha ha ha... (Lol)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast