Thread: May King Hunting in Homer, Your advice would be welcome.

Question May King Hunting in Homer, Your advice would be welcome.

Getting paroled from the hot high desert for 30 days R&R and am heading straight to the cold wet waters off Homer and looking forward to it.
    Taking my dad up the Alcan and ending up in Homer-ish for some King Hunting. Took him fishing with Sandy the dog three years ago and had a ball. This time, we are taking his boat and and want to slay the big one before he heads off to the big fisherman,s liars club in the sky.
    We usually use plug cut as a general rule but we are looking for any advice in tackle or technique that all of you may offer. We have an 18' Hewes and are not inclined to venture to far out of K-bay or off the east coast of Cook.

Short of wearing my underwear backwards and biting the head off a herring for luck, I am very open to anything that works.

Drew
    All paradise rests in the shadow of swords." ~K. Yates

When are you heading up? That has a lot to do with what's happening with Kings. In the summer time, I don't carry bait for salmon, waste of time and money down here in Kodiak(at least for me). And as far as getting the old man the "big one", Homer is great for numbers of Kings, and if you're there when the Kenai's head through the big one can be had. But if you have you sights set on BIG Kings, your best shots are Sitka, Outside of POW and Kodiak. Kodiak, is now until the end of June for best shots.
    Life's to short for an ugly boat

Blaze N Abel Charters
    Kodiak, AK
    www.alaska-fish.com
    https://www.facebook.com/BlazeNAbelCharters/?fref=ts

We are going to be on the peninsula the month of May. Going to close on some property and the fishing will be icing on the cake.
    All paradise rests in the shadow of swords." ~K. Yates

The only info that is worth anything for kings is recent info. Ask the same question when you get here and you will get some good intel.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/