Thread: Plastic barrel users

Default Plastic barrel users

Got a question for you guys. I understand that there's a likelihood that my plastic barrels will get chewed up, but when the bears do are they chewing at the hole to get to the food?

I've got two that I'm using this year (my first). I've got some 4" stainless steel rings that are 1/2" thick that I plan on bolting to the hole so they can't chew it, will that help?

Also with regard to chaining it to a tree, do you guys cut holes in the back to run the chain? Seems like a brownie will rip it right off the tree. I planned on chaining it just below the top lip in the groove but wasn't sure if there might be a better method

Sent from my LG-P769 using Tapatalk 2

We usually use the thickest ratchet straps you can buy from Lowe's. I feel that the tighter you can squeeze the barrel to the tree it helps with any momentum the bears may use to to rip it off. This method has worked well so far.

I also forgot to add, we try and find 2 trees close together so the barrel is a little more supported. Then when you really ratchet it down the barrel get sucked in-between them.

Quote Originally Posted by shimano 33 View Post
    I also forgot to add, we try and find 2 trees close together so the barrel is a little more supported. Then when you really ratchet it down the barrel get sucked in-between them.
    Awesome idea, thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Shimano, that's some good stuff. Do you have any input with regards to the barrels getting chewed?

These are the rings I was referring to

Doubt you'll have an issue will getting chewed up if you follow above techniques
    Them barrels are pretty tough

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by farmerman View Post

These are the rings I was referring to

Those look nice! I'm not sure how big the opening would be if you were to use those rings. If my memory serves me correctly I believe our opening is around 5 inches.

I don't think the rings are necessary, but since you already have them made I would use them for the simple fact of the smooth surface it would create and keep their arm hair from getting rubbed. I usually use a file on my plastic drums to achieve this. The only issue you may run into with using the rings is if they rip them off, which isn't a big deal. I enjoy putting new ideas to the test and see which produces the best results.

For my metal drums I will cut an X into the middle of the barrel and then use a crow bar to bend the flaps inside the barrel until bent flush. This will achieve the same smoothness your rings will and keep them from rubbing their coat off. I should also mention this method will produce more of a square opening, opposed to a circular one.

hope that made sense..

I work for a hydraulic seal manufacturing company and these are left over parts so I have no money in them. They are 4" which I read is a good size but opinions vary of course.

I'll give them a go and see what comes of it. Might piss off a brownie if he can't get his fat paw in there which may cause him to get violent on my barrel lol

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

I work for a hydraulic seal manufacturing company and these are left over parts so I have no money in them. They are 4" which I read is a good size but opinions vary of course.

I'll give them a go and see what comes of it. Might piss off a brownie if he can't get his fat paw in there which may cause him to get violent on my barrel lol

The last bear I shot at my bait station had two of her upper front teeth broken off at the gum line. I don't know if it happened at the site or even how long ago she had done it. Maybe a year or two earlier, who knows...but it makes me wonder if she somehow did it on my steel barrel.

It's definitely a redneck looking bear skull with the front teeth missing!!

Got a question for you guys. I understand that there's a likelihood that my plastic barrels will get chewed up, but when the bears do are they chewing at the hole to get to the food?

I've got two that I'm using this year (my first). I've got some 4" stainless steel rings that are 1/2" thick that I plan on bolting to the hole so they can't chew it, will that help?

Also with regard to chaining it to a tree, do you guys cut holes in the back to run the chain? Seems like a brownie will rip it right off the tree. I planned on chaining it just below the top lip in the groove but wasn't sure if there might be a better method

I do not know how much this will help, since we only have blacks in this part of Canada. Yes they chew the hole. I have to repace the barrel every 5-6 years when the hole gets to big, no big deal. I chain the barrel by cutting 4 holes in the back so there is 4 pressure points on the chain and the one inch holes does get stretch a little as the bears try and steel the barrel.

Bob

Yeah frostbitten, that's a pretty unique trophy!

Thanks for your input Bob, the stretching of the holes in the back is why I'm thinking a chain on the lip and a ratchet strap at he bottom might be better for brownies. I liked the idea of squeezing between trees

I started out with plastic 55 gal drum n guess wat they chewed up the hole n made it look like a shotgun went off at it... I changed to metal drums n hole is cd size... The brownies will crush it but can't chew at hole anymore, tho they tried visible teeth marks are seen around hole edge but held together great... They can't rip it from tree... I used thick steel cable and bailing wire to tie it off. Just put my in last weekend..

I use 5 gallon buckets & nail them to the trees. Sometimes the brown bears or bigger blackies tear them off and run off with the buckets. No big deal, I just bring in another bucket. Plus it is easy to haul food in the 5 gallon bucket quantity. Has worked for a few bears.