Thread: Upper susitna/north of talkeetna w/a prop?

Default Upper susitna/north of talkeetna w/a prop?

Perhaps this has been beat to death already but I haven't found it. Flat bottom with a 50hp prop, my understanding is that at decent water levelS I should be fine running the big sue north of talkeetna up to the end of the canyon. Anyone have input on that? I can't imagine I draft much more than the big boats mahays runs up there every day.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

A friend took me up that way a few years ago in Sept for rainbow fishing. He has a 19ft hewescraft with a 50 hp prop on it and never hit ground... Not saying you never will but he also knows the river very well, he used to run the Mahays large boats up the river.

If your an expert... Expert. If not not, then no.
    Tony

Default Upper susitna/north of talkeetna w/a prop?

Yes the wAter is deep enuff for a prop. The first mile out of the launch with all the submerged logs would have me worried. Then the rock garden right below clear creek.

Water is fast and it only takes a second to get crossed up and next thing your heading into a sweeper.
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

Quote Originally Posted by akmike30 View Post
    Yes the wAter is deep enuff for a prop. The first mile out of the launch with all the submerged logs would have me worried. Then the rock garden right below clear creek.

Water is fast and it only takes a second to get crossed up and next thing your heading into a sweeper.
    But if your running sue to cannon like you said you'll be fine. Just don't go passed portage creek. Since I sold my jet boat... Portage creek has best king,grayling,rainbow fishing in the drainage.....
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

you need to be good at reading water. both of the boulder gardens are ok depending on water levels. i draw 8" - 10" on step. taking the wrong braid could make for a long float trip back down stream. portage creek is great fishing, ingram has nice rainbow and grayling, and a few of the smaller creeks on the way up have desent rainbow's as well. it is an awesome boat ride to portage creek, make sure you stop at curry and look around.
    2005 20' Weldcraft Sabre XL 350 MP
    SD309 AT
    2009 Polaris Dragon 800 163
    Custom Mod's

Roughly where are these boulder gardens?
    Master guide 212

If you havent ran that part of river its tough to speak in general terms. I have ran from Talkeetna through both of the boulder gardens 3x last year and those where my first times. If memory serves the first is past Mahays tourest spot and the second was below Curry. at Curry the river slows down quite a bit and there is a shallow bar that runs out into the rive about 50 yards from bank on river right going upstream. There is some interesting water below Gold creek as well that will get your attention. Most of it is pretty straigh forward. Its the 5% that makes unique.

If you have a smart phone i would suggest getting the app called FishHead. It access the gauaging station for water flow (cfs) and stage level and water temp for the larger stream and rivers in the state.
    SD309 AT
    Custom Mod's

I've snow machines the river and remember the place below curry. Pretty obvious in the winter. I've rode up with mahays once too.
    Master guide 212

I've been planning to do the same thing this spring with a buddy from Talkeetna. I am running a Alweld 1752 w/tunnel and a 50/35 tldi jet. I have never been up there, figured it would be fun to check out some place different. I bet tjm on here could run it with his eyes closed. Maybe he will chime in.

Back in the late 1970's and early eighties on my first and second boat both had props. Second boat was a yukon freighter canoe with a 40 hp merc prop. The merc had a clutch instead of shear pin so I could at least clank my way to shore. SS props were 2 rich for my blood back then and went with bronze props. I could pull off to the side of the river and hammer the blades somewhat straight. When the blades wore down 2 much could braze them back up. I operated on the Talkeetna and Susitna rivers. Having a lift would also b a very good idea.

well it worked. made the trip on one prop, barely. took two wrong braids down low, the rest was smooth sailing. but some of the boulders sticking out sure make ya pucker when ya wizz by.
    Master guide 212

Awesome, and the water has been low the past few weeks. did you make to Portage creek?
    SD309 AT
    Custom Mod's

no i didn't try to go that far, went up from curry just a little ways. prop was slowing me down ALOT. it was missing a few pieces....lol
    Master guide 212

that is quite a ways up congrats. it gets rather braided past curry
    SD309 AT
    Custom Mod's

i will add that what saved us more than not, was two metal military ski poles we used for checking depth.. narrow and stiff enough that we could check while on step, if they touched, i moved till i found the channel. they sure were handy!!
    Master guide 212