Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: No season, no limit, SCI helicopter hunt

Default No season, no limit, SCI helicopter hunt

So rumor has it that at a recent SCI event some "hunts" of feral reindeer were auctioned off out of Nome. I guess this guy( Johnny Walker?) has a license for a reindeer farm, but has never really developed it. Now he has a Robinson chopper and is selling hunts at $7k a pop.
    Sure irks me that this type of "hunt" is going to get auctioned off along with the governors tags that just got pimped through HB 161.
    not even comparable, unless of course you are SCI I guess.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

What a burr under the saddle post you did there dave. Glad you put quotes around hunt. Maybe ought to call it Live target shooting instead though eh?

The idea that SCI would have a trophy Dall sheep hunt on the same docket as shooting one of Santa's reindeer just galls me.
    I guess if you have enough money all hunting is is target practice anyway.
    When the outfit I worked for started booking hunts through Cabelas I quit, too many folks had booked a moose hunt the way they ordered socks.
    ( the moose was bigger in the catalog)

Its shooting domestic stock, no different than shooting range cattle, 'cept their Reindeer.......No seasons or bag limits, just $$$$$$ to Kill kill kill.....I hate Cows, so it might do a Montana Rancher some good with amn R-400 and I , say, wanted to blast a few just because on any given day of the year, hunting limits and seasons be ****d.yaaaaaaaaaa, if I get rich......

If he's from Kotzebue/Kiana, then I know/ have delt with Jonny personally a few times...... Keep grains of salt handy when engauged in any discussion.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

When you say helicopter hunt Dave, do you mean actually shooting from one or just to access the area?
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Safaris don't normally include helicopters?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think you can shoot domestic livestock from Helocopters, Airplanes and from moveing vehicles or anyway you want......

Quote Originally Posted by strangerinastrangeland View Post
    I think you can shoot domestic livestock from Helocopters, Airplanes and from moveing vehicles or anyway you want......
    Caribou are not domestic livestock.

Quote Originally Posted by tsunami View Post
    Caribou are not domestic livestock.
    Yeah, but "reindeer" are. Is there an SCI trophy category for reindeer? How about Suffolk sheep? Or Devonshire hogs?

You know, raising a calf and shooting it in the fall would be a lot cheaper than moose hunting... Might have to think about that... I wonder how much grain it would take to get one in the SCI record book?

There are very few private reindeer herds left on the Sew. Pen. The one herd that is still somewhat managed is owned by a family in Teller but managed by a guy in Nome. While Reindeer are private stock, they are held "in trust" by the feds for the owner. Sale of deer to non natives requires BIA approval.
    Dave, the same thing goes on down south with feral hogs. Looks fun to me as I have seen videos. However, if this REALLY bothers you, Dave, call Kawerak in Nome. You can google them I'm sure. Ask to speak to Rose Fosdick in the Reindeer Herders Assoc. See if she knows anything about this.
    Maybe this is just another forum rumor!!!
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

So, MT, the 'Sale' of the Reindeer via $$ for hunting them would require prior approval.....prehaps the "Hunter" would more likely be the designated "Shooter" like the guy with teh .22mag at the head of the pen during roundup and slaughter.....?

dang legalitys ~~LOL!~~

These types of 'hunts' are not hunting but actually 'culling' the herd. It is done all of the time, just the owners 'ranchers' get paid by some one else. I have worked 'culling' operations and enjoyed the meat we took, but did NOT call it hunting.
    Like others I have issues with SCI supporting this type of event, but that is me!

Several years ago a SCI head dude was pushing me to take an opportunity to head to Australia to shoot camels and donkies with a full auto weapon from a helicopter as part of a culling operation. Did not sound like fun.

if its domestic livestock ie. reindeer than whats the big deal? its just like walking out to your pasture and shooting a cow. if someone is stupid enough to pay to shoot livestock than so be it. this isnt going to effect any "hunters" i just dont see the issue. if you want to fly around and shoot your cattle out of a chopper whos to say you cant. no different than shooting game farm deer/elk behind a high fence. thas why i dislkike SCI the fact they even have a category for this kind of stuff is ridiculous. as far as the title of this post no season no limit of course there isnt they are private animals.

Until it's more than just a rumor, I wouldn't get bent out of shape about it.

Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

Quote Originally Posted by homerdave View Post
    So rumor has it that at a recent SCI event some "hunts" of feral reindeer were auctioned off out of Nome. I guess this guy( Johnny Walker?) has a license for a reindeer farm, but has never really developed it. Now he has a Robinson chopper and is selling hunts at $7k a pop.
    Sure irks me that this type of "hunt" is going to get auctioned off along with the governors tags that just got pimped through HB 161.
    not even comparable, unless of course you are SCI I guess.
    I'm going to be taking this one with the world's largest grain of salt until someone points me towards some facts rather than guess what I heard. As for the helicopter sheep hunts.......keep wearing the tin foil hat man.

Brett

Every time I've been on Nunivak, the only remnants of reindeer we saw was a cloud of dust. They are not the easiest animal to hunt by any means. I think the logic behind this is that SCI has a reindeer category and there are very few places in the world where you can hunt them free range.

Free range domesticated reindeer from a helo....that's funny! More a function of a dentist from Texas who wants to brag to his buddies about his " Great Alaskan Adventure".

Quote Originally Posted by AK Ray View Post
    Several years ago a SCI head dude was pushing me to take an opportunity to head to Australia to shoot camels and donkies with a full auto weapon from a helicopter as part of a culling operation. Did not sound like fun.
    WHAT?! Sounds like a truck load of fun!!!
    Totally depends on who's riding the camels I guess.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast