Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Your (vices) that you take hunting?

Default Your (vices) that you take hunting?

I started a thred about Cigars, what are some of yorr vices that you like to take hunting? ( candy, soda, tang, granola, etc.)

coffee is a must

Pouch of backwoods, bottle of crown, minimum 12 pack of PBR are all part of the backcountry kill kit. 2 for 2 so far on hunts packing that combo.

Lots and Lots and LOTS of cinnamon pop-tarts; I'm talking like boxes of them. I also started taking my Nook E-reader because its less than a pound in weight (or at least feels likes it) and it carries up to like 400 books or something like that. The battery lasts like 3 months so I don't have to worry about charging it in the field. The thing goes sheep hunting with me now too, there is nothing worse than spending a day in your tent because of weather and counting the stitching squares in your fabric...

Fresh ground coffee with a french press (unless backpack hunting, then lighter coffee options without the press) and a flask of bourbon. If weight/space allows, a six pack of quality local beer (usually a mix of IPA and stout) and a box of wine.

Never go anywhere without my coffee. I use the singles pouches, like a tea bag. Light weight and works perfectly with a jetboil

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

I have no vices just normal ways of life for me.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

I must admit... I pack those Starbuck's Via Coffees now. Every trip. There are other ways of making coffee in the field...all inferior to the VIA.

Depending on the trip and other arrangements... a sixer of some dark, malty suds might go along for a ride.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    I must admit... I pack those Starbuck's Via Coffees now. Every trip. There are other ways of making coffee in the field...all inferior to the VIA.
    The Via coffee packets are a good option and that's what goes in my backpack, but they are certainly inferior to a french press. Join me around a campfire someday, my friend - I'll make a believer out of you.

tabasco. and a delicious beer of some sort, if it's worth carrying the weight and protecting the bottle...

capped salt shaker, and ground chocolate pepper (been using a pill bottle for this one)

a small multi-led magnetic light... (trade name "Larry")

it's amazing how a little flavor on yer dinner, and some light can cheer you up at 22 dark thirty and sore feet

Chris
    Last edited by akgun&ammo; 04-17-2014 at 07:51. Reason: accidentle back space

Cappuccino mix, French vanilla.
    Now that I'm not guiding an don't get out anymore, I'd be thrilled to be out without any of my stuff. Just the smell of the tundra, the whistle of the marmot, the thunder of a jumped grouse, the metallic climax of a bolt slipping shut....go time. Enjoy every hunt guys, vices or no, be thankfull to be there. Times will get fewer as life creeps to a close.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    the thunder of a jumped grouse,
    The crapping of your pants when the grouse is right next to you...

Tupper Lake, NEW YORK IN THE CENTER OF THE ADIRONDACK MTS.

Jake,
    I remember when we found that bottle of Ron Rico Rum at our Game Lake cabin. That was my only bottle of liquid vice that I had with you. At least until we got out of the woods!!!!! Hope all is well. Plans for Sept. grizz hunt going along well. Know anything about that Yentna river hunt. Going out of Skwentna upriver by boat(11 days). Going with a friend of mine that is a big wheel for Remington. He is kind of a "cheechako" when it comes to hunting bears in Alaska but he is a good guy. Should be great fun.

I almost always bring my pipe (tobacco), and I used tomake sure to grab the Oreo cakesters ( they were light, delicious, and packedwith calories probably why health nuts got so up in arms about them). coffee isa must too but I don't really consider that a luxury item. Scotch sometimesmakes it in but not always, if Iím fishing beer is a must. And ALWAYS BRING APACK OF CARDS! Last hunt I was on we got stuck in the tent for about 20 hourswith nothing to do other then watch one guy sharpen knives ( and praying thecabin fever doesnít hit him).

Scotch, Scotch Scotch. Johnny bule if it is a real special hunt. Nothing like a little scotch poured over some glacier ice to relax a guy (or gal) at the end of a successful day.

Monster Energy.. I even pack a couple up the mountain goat hunting..
    Quality Counts @ Dahlberg's Taxidermy

Spam, Pilot bread, and mustard!

Quote Originally Posted by AKRecurveAssassin View Post
    Lots and Lots and LOTS of cinnamon pop-tarts; I'm talking like boxes of them. I also started taking my Nook E-reader because its less than a pound in weight (or at least feels likes it) and it carries up to like 400 books or something like that. The battery lasts like 3 months so I don't have to worry about charging it in the field. The thing goes sheep hunting with me now too, there is nothing worse than spending a day in your tent because of weather and counting the stitching squares in your fabric...
    After a 5 day stint in the tent waiting for a ride out this past season I also invested in one of the smaller Nook e-readers. It should easily get me through any normal hunting scenarios or delays. If it runs out of battery I should probably be spending my spare time getting ready to try and survive the winter...

Smoked oysters and Tabasco

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast