Thread: Hunting and Shooting

Default Hunting and Shooting

Moved up to Alaska 6 months ago from North Dakota. Been Hunting and shooting my entire life. Would like advise on the best way to go about starting to hunt Alaska. Thank you.

The first thing would be to spend a good amount of time reading through threads on this forum, specifically the hunting forum. Search for things like "beginner" and things like that and you should find a good number of valuable threads.

Second, get a copy of the hunting regs (you can download them from the ADF&G website if you want) and read through them, then do it again and again.

Third, provide us with a bit more details about you. Do you have any idea of what you want to hunt? Bears, moose, caribou, small game, etc... If you have specific interests or specific things you know you are not interested in, let us know so we can give more specific tips. What equipment do you have or do you think you will have access to? Do you have or are you willing to get ATV's for access or are you a boat guy? Maybe you prefer to hunt with bow and arrow or travel on foot? How far are you willing to travel to hunt? Any of these things will help to narrow things down.

Hunting in Alaska is not a simple thing to explain/teach. Due to the size of the State and the remoteness of a lot of areas, there are tons of different techniques/terrains/etc... possible out there.

I guess my post was pretty vague. I picked up a copy of the regs when I got here, and have read it over and over. My name is Chris and I am 39 years old. I grew up in western North Dakota, in what is known as the Badlands. Hunting Big game is what I love. I have many years of hunting whitetail deer, mule deer, antelope, turkeys, and upland game. In ND they have Elk, Moose, and Bighorn sheep which are once-in-a-lifetime tags. I have drawn and harvested a Elk and Moose. My wife also drew and harvested a Moose. I know how to field dress and butcher. I want to hunt Big and small game. I hunt with both bow and rifle, but am mainly a rifle hunter. I have firearms that cover everything here in Alaska. I have the clothing, and some camping gear. Glassing, Spot and stalk, and some stand hunting is what I know. Right now I have a truck and my own two feet, but will eventually get a atv. I understand hunting Alaska is not a simple thing, but I am willing to learn. The only way I know how to learn is get out and do it. Thank you. Moose, Caribou, and Bear are the main ones.

Where are you located in Alaska..........? (Just Roughly)

Located in Anchorage.

If you've never used a compass much, get one and learn how to use it.......
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

I would first try something close off the road systemwith a low success rate, consider it glorified camping. Just experience Alaskaand the more you spend the outside the more you will be like "hey thatspot looks moosey". Honestly people today are too considered about successthey want to make sure that if they go hunt they will shoot something, justenjoy Alaska.

Also if you have your bow certification the north slope haul road in august isa good hunt, off the road, cool country, and you will see animals.

Love spot and stalk archery elk in the badlands!

An easy one is to go south on the seward highway. Find some pull outs and use your binos to find a black bear. Or hike up a drainage and get some elevation and then start spotting.

The next few weeks is the right time of year to find a black bear.

AKDucks is spot on....good tip from 4merguide too!

PM sent to a fellow former Nodak.

Have before. Been awhile will have to give myself a refresher

Thanks for the info. Ive never measured my success in animals harvested. I just enjoy being outdoors, and taking it all in. By doing that ive managed to be successful, harvesting a lot of game over the years.

Quote Originally Posted by Dakota Kid View Post
    .....Ive never measured my success in animals harvested.
    You're off to a REAL good start then..........imo.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dakota Kid View Post
    Thanks for the info. Ive never measured my success in animals harvested. I just enjoy being outdoors, and taking it all in. By doing that ive managed to be successful, harvesting a lot of game over the years.
    Sent ya a PM Chris. Good to have another North Dakotan on the site.
    "A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user." T. R.