Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suppressor (Silencer) Brand Choice for Hunting

Premium Member

Default Suppressor (Silencer) Brand Choice for Hunting

I'm starting the process of getting a suppressor or silencer for hunting and target shooting purposes, and I am overwhelmed by suppressor manufacturers... most of which seem way too tactical for my purpose. Can anyone point me to a small number of suppressor manufacturer recommendations, which ones work the best in a hunting and target shooting situation?

I always though silencers were illegal for hunting. Something change?

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

What caliber/s are you looking to suppress? Different companies make good ones for different purposes.

Only if you get caught........

Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    I always though silencers were illegal for hunting. Something change?

I always thought they were illegal also but a search through the regs doesn't mention it. There is no reason they should be illegal.
    Ignorance is not Bliss, it's insanity

Poaching.................

Quote Originally Posted by alaskabliss View Post
    There is no reason they should be illegal.

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    Do you think that if suppressors were to be declared illegal in Alaska, the incidence of poaching would decrease
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    I think poaching would be illegal whether you have a silencer or not.

Supposedly it is legal in some states. Commiefornia and Fascist New York you can hold your hand on your butt. Here is the best site I could find on the issue.
    http://www.silencerresearch.com/Silencerguide.pdf

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Buy a cheap one..not much difference in actual field performance. The expensive ones are like designer jeans, cost more but Carhartts work just as well.
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

Go talk with Steve at Alaska Tactical on Muldoon, he can walk you through it.
    Which can is "not so tactical" doesn't matter. They have a simple job to do and these days they are all so similar it doesn't really matter which brand. There may be warranty differences to consider but the rest is fluff. I look at weight and $

Quote Originally Posted by kubs View Post
    Go talk with Steve at Alaska Tactical on Muldoon, he can walk you through it.
    Which can is "not so tactical" doesn't matter. They have a simple job to do and these days they are all so similar it doesn't really matter which brand. There may be warranty differences to consider but the rest is fluff. I look at weight and $
    Exactly what kubs said! Steve will talk you through the +/- of them and then go from there. He will have some on hand to look at. Just like guns and rods you can spend a lot or less...

I've been a bit interested in one. A friend of mine in England reports it's considered essential and nearly every centerfire rifle has one over there.

I watched some video of him shooting his .270 with the suppressor fitted... not as loud as a plain muzzle but still pretty darn loud.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    I've been a bit interested in one. A friend of mine in England reports it's considered essential and nearly every centerfire rifle has one over there.

I watched some video of him shooting his .270 with the suppressor fitted... not as loud as a plain muzzle but still pretty darn loud.
    Silencers on High-Powered rifles don't really "Silence" as the speed of the bullet causes a loud "crack"
    If we all agreed....this would be no fun

Supressors are required in some countries/areas. They are favored in populated areas and in Africa because it aids the PH in hearing the hit.
    They make alot of sense to protect hearing so you don't end up like me, hearing loss and hearing aids and getting worse with age. Funny they make us wear seatbelts but we can' t protect our hearing because someone MIGHT break the law.
    When I was looking at New Zealand for hunting, I can carry my gun into a shop, and $700 later walk out with a supressor, barrel threaded ready to shoot. Not in this country, 6-8 month wait and $3000 later..... under suspicion becuase I followed the law...

I've never understood the reasoning behind making them an NFA item. We all know criminals don't obey laws. You can find the instructions to build a home made, very effective suppressor on the internet with very little effort. In fact, there's one that shows how to make one out of about $20 worth of parts from Home Depot. Takes all of about an hour to build. I guess my point is, if a criminal is going to somehow use a suppressor, making it an NFA item is not going to stop them. And the benefits and safety aspects are pretty compelling.

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

You state that your intended use for a silencer is for hunting AND target shooting, which are two very different activities with very different requirements. I am by no means an expert on silencers, however I do own a couple. Having said that; I would not personally recommend a silencer for hunting applications. First off, when hunting, the number of shots fired is generally very few, and often times just one. As with everything, there is a tradeoff to be made, and to reduce the perceived sound of that one single shot during hunting season, you have to be willing to invest a large sum of money (often in excess of a $1,000) to purchase the silencer, and then invest a great deal of time and anxiety waiting for the paperwork process to unfold (currently about 9 months) and once you do get your new toy in hand (after having your barrel threaded for about $170) and mounted on your hunting rifle, you will find that it has increased the overall length by 8 to 10 inches, and the weight from 1 to 2 pounds, perhaps even more depending on your silencer and the application. Both of these will significantly affect the balance and feel of your rifle, as well as the practicality of walking around with what is now essentially 32" - "34" barrel hanging off of your favorite hunting rifle. Transportation can also be problematic, as your options for ATV and boat / raft carry become more complex due to the extended length. Think how much fun it would be to spot and stalk black bears thru the forest toting your 10 gauge goose gun... not very.. And if you think that you can simply remove the silencer whenever you wish and shoot without it, you may be quite disappointed to know that it's weight and its location at the end of your barrel has a huge impact on barrel harmonics and (regardless of what the manufactures say on their web sites) your point of impact will likely change significantly when your remove the silencer. So much so (in my case at least) that you will find that you are not just a bit off at 100 yards, but off to the point that you aren’t even on the target frame, let alone the target..

Regarding target shooting, I think you will find a silencer to be a fantastic and enjoyable addition to your rifle that is well worth whatever price you paid for it.

Regarding manufactures, designs and prices: in my opinion, silencer are pretty much like everything else, in that you get what you pay for. Sure there are a couple of "brand name" manufactures out there that may be a bit overpriced, but they are still selling a quality product with quality service (in the very unlikely event you ever need it) at a slightly higher price than their competitors. More of a worry, is the "new" silencer makers, of which there are many. The popularity (and recent legalization in several states) of these units has grown by leaps and bounds in the last 5 or 6 years, and this profit potential has spawned a great many manufactures who may not have the experience, technical knowhow, or ethics to design and produce a quality silencer. As a previous commenter noted, a suppressor can be fabricated for about $20 from off the shelf junk from the hardware store (and this is totally legal provided you follow the rules and submit a form 1) painted up real nice with high temp stove paint, and presto! Silencer! AND it looks (externally at least) nearly identical to the one from a name brand manufacture that is selling for $800 - $1,200. However I can assure you that it does not perform anywhere near as well, will not last as long, may explode in your face if not properly designed, and will pretty much be a waste of $20 that would have been much better spent on beer.

There are many forums dedicated to suppressors and silencers. I recommend that you do a pile of reading and engage them in discussions. Having said that, I would not hesitate to purchase from the following manufactures.

Yankee Hill Machine
    Advanced Armament
    Gemtech
    Silencerco
    Liberty
    AWC

Different manufactures have different silencers for different applications, and while company "A" might make a great 30 cal can, their .22lr cans might suck... do your research and take your time. Also, different baffle designs work better in some applications than others. K-baffles, Omega Baffles, Stepped Cone, Unicore, Monocore etc. all have their place, but each is designed to perform optimally under certain parameters. It is however safe to say that any one of them would be FAR superior to a set of stacked fender washers welded into a piece of exhaust pipe by your drunk buddy... just sayin..
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

I guess I made the assumption that the OP was talking about big game hunting with a center fire rifle... If he was talking about a .22LR then the weight, length and harmonics issues are greatly reduced due to the current designs on the market. In this case, suppressed hunting rifles are quite doable!
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

Quote Originally Posted by Alangaq View Post
    I guess I made the assumption that the OP was talking about big game hunting with a center fire rifle... If he was talking about a .22LR then the weight, length and harmonics issues are greatly reduced due to the current designs on the market. In this case, suppressed hunting rifles are quite doable!
    Likewise a suppressed AR for predator hunting can be a very valuable tool leading to shots on several animals rather than 1.

If I were interested in silencer for a hi-power rifle I would carry a kitchen window into the wools. When I see an animal I would slowly open it and shoot through it. My friend said it works really good.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast