Thread: Tangle lakes????

Default Tangle lakes????

I don't see much on here for ice fishing tangles. Am I wasting my time? I want one more trip on sled so I'm going to maclaren Friday and want to put a few holes in to look for some fish

any info??
    thanks

GS

Hope you kill 'em ! I'd look for the transition from deep to shallow water. Lakers should be cruising shallow water looking for grayling and whitefish. Tangles have all three species, so go get em!

Probably a bit late in this posting, and I'm not going to try and pretend I know the current ice conditions at McClaren. This is, rather, a generic posting, in light of the appearance of the original poster not being intimately familiar with the body of water in question...

With that preamble and disclaimer out of the way, this can be a hazardous time of year. I know the Denali Hwy was reputed to have received a good amount of snow this year, but if you're not seriously familiar with a specific lake, the warmer spots that tend to hold thinner ice in spring (i.e., near outlets, inlets, rock formations and darker shoreline that attract/build/hold heat, and such), etc. ice fishing this time of year requires some serious amounts of intel and caution.

Do the due diligence, inquire where able re. thickness and rate of melt, night time temps, day time highs, etc.

If you're going into the backcountry, especially solo, this time of year, incorrect judgments or insufficient information about such things can lead to horrible phone calls back home.

That said, I'm envious of anyone who manages to get back out into some quality remote ice fishing right now.. Good luck!!

I just wanted to know about the ice fishing. I'm a 47 year Alaskan. The back country is my playground. I know the lake very well. I wouldn't considerate it back country at all.

Quote Originally Posted by GlacierShaker View Post
    I just wanted to know about the ice fishing. I'm a 47 year Alaskan. The back country is my playground. I know the lake very well. I wouldn't considerate it back country at all.
    Apologies if my post implied otherwise.

I have been thinking about another trip out myself, but with the weather being what it has been, I'm not likely to take the risk; trails, ice, etc., are turning to crap quickly..

Maybe we're talking about two different locations. The spot I was thinking of runs up the river north of the Denali Hwy. a ways west of the Tangle Lake Lodge, etc., and is back in a fair distance, not on the Hwy with the Tangle lakes that are road accessible.