A couple of friends, my wife, and I went out yesterday for a day on the water and to soak some shrimp pots. It was kind of a gloomy day with overcast and light rain, but fairly warm and the water was glass smooth until evening time.
After a four hour and two hour soak we came away with three gallons. I was really pleased with my new pot setup from potbuilder, except that I noticed a few average-sized shrimp were able to slip through the wire mesh when we pulled them out of the water and on to the boat. I wonder if I lost more on the pull to the surface. I had been using nylon mesh pots before and never had that happen. The new flaking rope pulled through my Ace Line Hauler like a dream and was a stark difference to the cheap nylon I had been using.
We spent our time in between pulling pots jigging for rockfish and came away with two small Coppers (I think because they were lighter on the back half than Quillbacks) and sent them back to grow some more. We also made a run down to the Perry Island Oyster Farm and got a few dozen. He mentioned they might run out of oysters before the end of the season, so if you need your oyster fix you should get it soon.
Good luck to everyone headed out this weekend.