Thread: Shrimp Opener Success

Default Shrimp Opener Success

A couple of friends, my wife, and I went out yesterday for a day on the water and to soak some shrimp pots. It was kind of a gloomy day with overcast and light rain, but fairly warm and the water was glass smooth until evening time.

After a four hour and two hour soak we came away with three gallons. I was really pleased with my new pot setup from potbuilder, except that I noticed a few average-sized shrimp were able to slip through the wire mesh when we pulled them out of the water and on to the boat. I wonder if I lost more on the pull to the surface. I had been using nylon mesh pots before and never had that happen. The new flaking rope pulled through my Ace Line Hauler like a dream and was a stark difference to the cheap nylon I had been using.

We spent our time in between pulling pots jigging for rockfish and came away with two small Coppers (I think because they were lighter on the back half than Quillbacks) and sent them back to grow some more. We also made a run down to the Perry Island Oyster Farm and got a few dozen. He mentioned they might run out of oysters before the end of the season, so if you need your oyster fix you should get it soon.

Good luck to everyone headed out this weekend.
    "Beware the man with only one gun; he may know how to use it."

Quote Originally Posted by Kay9Cop View Post
    A couple of friends, my wife, and I went out yesterday for a day on the water and to soak some shrimp pots. It was kind of a gloomy day with overcast and light rain, but fairly warm and the water was glass smooth until evening time.

After a four hour and two hour soak we came away with three gallons. I was really pleased with my new pot setup from potbuilder, except that I noticed a few average-sized shrimp were able to slip through the wire mesh when we pulled them out of the water and on to the boat. I wonder if I lost more on the pull to the surface. I had been using nylon mesh pots before and never had that happen. The new flaking rope pulled through my Ace Line Hauler like a dream and was a stark difference to the cheap nylon I had been using.

We spent our time in between pulling pots jigging for rockfish and came away with two small Coppers (I think because they were lighter on the back half than Quillbacks) and sent them back to grow some more. We also made a run down to the Perry Island Oyster Farm and got a few dozen. He mentioned they might run out of oysters before the end of the season, so if you need your oyster fix you should get it soon.

Good luck to everyone headed out this weekend.
    Glad to hear everything worked out good for you. Yup the rigid wire does let the smaller ones get through, good thing in my opinion, and the state regs require the 7/8" dowel to slide/fall through the wire/mesh of the pot on its own. Look on a webbed pot and you'll see a good percentage of the meshes are not square but a diamond shape and thats where the little ones can't slip through and also i'd bet that 7/8" dowel can't slip through also.
    Glad the rope also worked well for you, send me some pictures if you have any of the operation at work.
    Steve

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Just say NO to oyster Hoarding!

Went out again this week and had the same luck. We brought home about another three gallons.

About half our haul prepped for storage.

Hello. My name is Rob and I have motor envy. Looks like another great day on the water. Congrats....
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

Well it's got a 450 hp rating, might as well use it.

That picture of you kneeling next to the blue 5 gal bucket makes me remember the other pic I saw years ago. A guy was holding a shrimp/(prawn?) horizontally across the inside of the bucket at the top, and both ends were touching the sides.....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

How deep were you setting?

First pot at 500' and I drift shallower so last pot is maybe 450-430'. Steep and deep. I only have three pots right now, so my hauls are averaging a gallon per pot over 6 hours and I'm checking them every two hours.

Nice job!!!!

Living the Alaska Dream
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK