Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Second life for last years fish?

Default Second life for last years fish?

For years I have been taking last years salmon and bottomfish to the Alaska Zoo and donating it to the critters that live there. I had a pan fried rockfish filet sandwitch on a nice orowheat bun with a slice of melted provalone and some of my home made tartar sauce last night and it was almost as good as fresh. We vacuume seal and subzero freeze the fish and it is still real good to eat.

I was just wondering if there are other options for donation of sportcaught fish in the community?

Isn't there a food bank somewhere around there? They might frown on year old fish, but if it's still as good as you say well, beggars can't be choosers........lol.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Anything that doesn't get eaten over the winter... gets smoked in the spring. It then gets vacuum packed and frozen to be consumed throughout summer. Win/win!
    I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM2K7sV-K74

It took me 2 years to know how much fish to keep to make it until I could get fresh. Now I only kill what we use. I do one day of fishing halibut for the senior homer every year they love to get good fish. Salvation Army will take it, and you get a tax write off. Same with any nonprofit

We strive to only take what we need. If we have fish in the freezer from last year we consider it a fail. Last years salmon we pickle or smoke, cod and rockfish is usually still fine but we eat it all anyway. Halibut we don't care for frozen, and it's ironic that the only reason we even have halibut in the freezer is because someone else who caught more than they could use "gave" it to us. ( I use quotations because "dumped it on" is more to the point).
    i give away lots of fish all year, but I give it away as fresh filleted ready-to-eat good stuff, not, "gee, I don't want this anymore, you can have it"
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Quote Originally Posted by homerdave View Post
    We strive to only take what we need. If we have fish in the freezer from last year we consider it a fail.
    Same here. Takes a lot of careful thought and planning, as well as good care in the freezer.

Quote Originally Posted by MGH55 View Post
    It took me 2 years to know how much fish to keep to make it until I could get fresh. Now I only kill what we use. I do one day of fishing halibut for the senior homer every year they love to get good fish. Salvation Army will take it, and you get a tax write off. Same with any nonprofit
    How do you write off sport caught fish ??

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

If it's still edible, eat it with different recipes. Good protein that 99% of the world would kill for. This time of year i'm so burnt out on fish fillets that my wife resorts to a lot of cream sauces over pasta with salmon, and enchiladas and cream based soups with the halibut. Then I eat it down. Fillets on the bbq, I need fresh to eat that again by the time april rolls around.

Spend thousands $$ on vacuum baggers take the time and effort to pack fish so they last a long time in the freezer then feed it to the bears cause its 8-10 months old ??? Something wrong with that picture in my opinion.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    How do you write off sport caught fish ??
    The one time that I donated 'excess' sport-caught fish, I was advised to value it at the wholesale price per pound, so thats what I did. The charity who picked up the fish at the dock gave receipts that listed 'xx' pounds of whole fish, and he also gave us a printout of the current wholesale prices that the local fish market was paying so we could justify the deduction.

(This was at the Point Loma docks in San Diego after a long-range tuna trip and many of us realized just how much fish we'd actually brought back ...)

Now, as to the OP, I've been cooking fish out of my freezer from our 2013 trip, and found some halibut from 2012 that I cooked up, and it was great. For whatever my opinion is worth, if fish has been carefully vacuum-packed, it should be good for more than a year.

With salmon, anything left at this time of year gets canned. I used canned salmon a lot as lunches at work, so if it didn't get used over the past year, it will almost certainly get used next year.

Never had the problem of having to get rid of last seasons catch to make room for more. I'd suggest expanding how you cook fish as a better method of using up last years catch. Some personal suggestions for when we want something other than grilled fish is:

Taco's
    Fajita's
    Enchilada's
    Stir Fry
    Curry
    Chowder

These dishes work equally well with salmon, halibut, rockfish and ling cod.

Last weekend I made a curry with halibut, ling cod and black bass that was outstanding. I used this recipe http://allrecipes.com/recipe/indian-shrimp-curry/ The only addition was 1t of ground corriander, and I quadrupled the recipe and substituted the fish for shrimp. You can also use fresh tomattoes instead of canned, or 1/2 and 1/2 fresh and canned.

Best yet when I was digging in the chest freezer I found another bag of spot shrimp! I thought I'd used the last of it awhile back.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Quote Originally Posted by ocnfish View Post
    For years I have been taking last years salmon and bottomfish to the Alaska Zoo and donating it to the critters that live there. I had a pan fried rockfish filet sandwitch on a nice orowheat bun with a slice of melted provalone and some of my home made tartar sauce last night and it was almost as good as fresh. We vacuume seal and subzero freeze the fish and it is still real good to eat.

I was just wondering if there are other options for donation of sportcaught fish in the community?
    There is a food donation program for bush schools. Not sure of what can be donated, but I know moose meat can be. I think fish can be, but not sure. I know that bear can not be. There was a list of what can be and can't...I'll look for it.

I second the above about food banks though. Most food banks or shelters gladly accept legally donated food. But there is a regulation on what can be given away.

If you go to church ask the pastor if there is a family in need. Ask your friends and relatives if they know of anyone in need.

I too very much limit what I keep anymore. When I do take home limits of fish, I often give away fresh unproven fillets to freinds that would like some. When I do end up with fish in the freezer yet come spring, the dog mushing community is very happy to take any old fish off your hands to feed dogs.

I try not to overharvest myself. Unless I had something serious happen such as a broken freezer while out of town or something I just can't see throwing away good fish at the zoo.
    If I was doing that every single year I would think someone should slap me upside the head for overharvesting every year or poor packaging on my part for letting it freezer burn.
    I am not trying to be rude but it really irks me when we are taking bag limit reductions on Halibut and there are still people throwing it away each spring.And yes giving good fish like this to the zoo IMHO constitutes throwing it away.
    What salmon we don't eat gets canned. It is rare we ever have any Halibut left over and thats with my wife and stepson having subsistence halibut cards. Usually we just eat up the last few packages of Halibut a few extra times right before season. That's if we have any left over.
    I do periodically throughout the season give a few packages of fish to those I know who need it and can't harvest it.
    We also do a few fish fry's with friends and family each year and that uses a few extra packages.
    I know that having excess does occasionaly happen for some people and thats understandable,but the OP sure makes it seem like this is a perpetutal thing for him year after year after year as though he still doesn't know how much his family really needs.
    In my opinion that just isn't right.
    I say you should eat the old fish and either only catch and release until your freezer is empty or give the fresh stuff to the food bank and take this as a learning lesson.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Let me just say

Cilantro Lime Lingcod Tacos Rule anytime
    2000 Bayliner Ciera Express 2452
    5.0 Mercruiser Alpha 1

Reminds me of a guy I know here in town who "Had to throw away a bunch of venison from last year to make room for this years'.

If the fishing is good and I'm confident I won't starve, I give it away fresh, or give some away right at the end of the fishing season so that others can enjoy it as close to fresh as possible. That said, I usually have a little around when the rods come back out.

And it's true, a little lemon juice or lime goes a long way if the fish isn't the freshest. A good beer batter improves things as well.

What I have left is not like wanton waste or anything .... probabilly 1 white standard Costco kitchen garbage sack not quite full. I will still take the salmon to the zoo but all bottom fish will be given to my 20 renters (landlord guy in another life) fine folks that will make it all dissappear.

Responding to the question that ocnfish posed.

I have given old fish to the eagle rehab on JBER. They don't get as much as the zoo and really appreciate being able to feed the birds some natural diet. Just below the air traffic control tower on Elmendorf.

I have also given to the Bird Treatment Center. They do not want halibut for some reason. (Not natural?) Picky beggars. }:>
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast