Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hunting regs in AK about FMJ vs SP Ammo

Default Hunting regs in AK about FMJ vs SP Ammo

Hi,

I am planning a black bear hunt with a mosin carbine using 7.62 x 54R ammo. I could only find one box of 150 grain SP ammo from cabelas and the rest were 182 grain, FMJ PPU ammo. I had a question in terms of the rules, can we hunt with FMJ ammo? or can we hunt only with SP ammo in Alaska. Also, anyone has an idea in terms of effectiveness of one versus the other for hunting, assuming FMJ is allowed. I could not really find any regs against FMJ ammo though other states seem to prohibit it. Thank you.

Stay away from FMJ bullets for hunting. Without expansion very little damage will occur. Good luck on your hunt.

No official rules against it

sent from my igloo

There are no rules against it in AK. In other states there are so the advice doesn't carry across the board.

As far as what you can do with SP or FMJ ammo on a critter just be aware that the bulk of E. European sourced SP ammo for the Moisin are ridiculously soft and may not adequately penetrate. A friend of mine is something of a Moisin nut but will only shoot the FMJ stuff at critters and take the penetration over the underperforming SP.... he has been drifting toward a different rifle for hunting for that reason though.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Based on the probability of under penetration with a SP alone, makes me think I should go with the 180+ grain FMJ for black bear. I am thinking with the proper placement the penetrating 180 grain FMJ should stop a black or maybe Brown bear? Why do people use soft points on bears though if penetration is a major concern or is this only for the E european 7.62x54r mosin ammo softpoints?

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    There are no rules against it in AK. In other states there are so the advice doesn't carry across the board.

As far as what you can do with SP or FMJ ammo on a critter just be aware that the bulk of E. European sourced SP ammo for the Moisin are ridiculously soft and may not adequately penetrate. A friend of mine is something of a Moisin nut but will only shoot the FMJ stuff at critters and take the penetration over the underperforming SP.... he has been drifting toward a different rifle for hunting for that reason though.

Is this the only rifle that you have? Have you looked at other stores? I've got to think you could find a better option out there, either with better ammo or another rifle with better ammo availability. What have you been shooting out of it for sighting in/practice?

So far i have been sighting it in with russian surplus ammo. I am planning to make sure the zero is good with the 180 grain FMJ. I do probably have to look at other stores. Freddies or walmart don't seem to carry 7.62 x 54 Rm, maybe ammo can/king might i guess. Have'nt checked others besides, cabelas, walmart and freddies. I was hoping to find the Brown BearŪ 7.62x54R SP 203 Grain Ammo but no luck so far; That seems like it would do the job well. The mosin carbine is my only rifle and the other long gun I have is a 12 gauge.

Quote Originally Posted by hunterwannabe View Post
    Why do people use soft points on bears though if penetration is a major concern or is this only for the E european 7.62x54r mosin ammo softpoints?
    It's a real concern with any bullet that is very soft- the E. European bullets are just very soft compared against a modern western bullet, in the old days it was a concern with everyone's bullets. Section one (cut it lengthwise) and compare it to many of the available photos of American bullets and you'll see the differences. Any bullet that has a thin jacket over a soft core will give explosive penetration (like a varmint bullet) but at the expense of penetration.

Soft points are very good medicine on anything provided you can get one to hold together and penetrate as well as expand... modern U.S. bullets tend to be very, very good at this... stuff like the Accubond, Corelokts, Trophy Bonded.

If I'm not mistaken, forum member Stranger shoots (or his wife does) extensively with the 7.62x54R and would be able to give good advice on placement.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Easy...take the shotgun!

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

Winchester makes a decent soft point for those, don't recall the weight. I think I've seen them at sportsmans before, possibly walmart, three bears is the last place I think I saw them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I checked online and found sportsmans supposedly sells 7.62 x 54R Sellier and Bellot 7.62x54R 180gr SP Rifle Ammo. sIf Alaska allows I may luck out and find the ammo at sportsmans. But if its sold out like almost every other ammo, I might have to go with the PPU 150 grain SP or 180 grain FMJ. I will keep a look out for the winchester ammo as well.

If you end up going with a fmj bullet I would shy away from high grain bullets. No need. Take high velocity low grain over low velocity high grain for shock damage, penetration won't be an issue with full metal jackets.

I believe agl4now used to use fmj 30 cal ammo for goat hunting but used them for head shots (as posted awhile back, I apologies to him if I've got this wrong), which besides predator hunting and spine shots are the only applications for a fmj that may be better than over expanding/exploding soft thin jacketed ammo. I would either take the lack of acceptable mosin ammo as a reason to buy a new/used hunting rifle, keep looking for the ammo you really want, or find a friend with reloading equipment, buy some dies, and load more appropriate bullets for this application (hunting soft points or other controlled expansion bullets, TTSX personal favorite)

I believe all Stranger and his family use is FMJ mil-sup from griz to wolverine and all critters in between.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Alaskan Gun & Ammo in Fairbanks has soft point on the shelf...

Reading your messages, I believe you are in Anchorage though....

Chris

Alaska List has a Remington 700 in 270 caliber for $300.00 You might check into getting that.

fmj to the lungs = dead whatever
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

hunter,

A friend of mine has several boxes of 180 grain SP he will sell you at a good price.

Randy

hi I live in anchorage area is your friend from around here?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullwinkle50 View Post
    hunter,

A friend of mine has several boxes of 180 grain SP he will sell you at a good price.

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    I believe all Stranger and his family use is FMJ mil-sup from griz to wolverine and all critters in between.
    Yeah but he can see a lot further than us!!!

hunter,

He lives here in Anchorage. I think he wants about $25 per box.

Randy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast