Thread: Local anchorage glass bedding?

Default Local anchorage glass bedding?

Anyone have a recommendation? Looking to get my wife's .270 win glass bedded

Release Lake Trout

Andy Hawk is meticulous. He is also pretty busy. Just look him up in the phone book as he has moved. He is now a few blocks off Lake Otis.

Matt M

Is there a reason you don't want to do it yourself? It is really fairly easy if you set up right. You can use a kit or use another epoxy compound. Clean up your barrel channel, tape your barrel for space, apply release agent and clay as a dam around holes and such, and you are pretty much ready to go. Lots of videos, how-tos and other info out there on the web and even on this site. I love pulling the barrel/action out of a bedded stock and seeing how cool the mold is.

Call Steve at Alaska Custom firearms 349-4867. Next to Wiggy's Alaska Old Seward and Dimond

I'm not in Anchorage but Id be happy to do it.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    Is there a reason you don't want to do it yourself? It is really fairly easy if you set up right. You can use a kit or use another epoxy compound. Clean up your barrel channel, tape your barrel for space, apply release agent and clay as a dam around holes and such, and you are pretty much ready to go. Lots of videos, how-tos and other info out there on the web and even on this site. I love pulling the barrel/action out of a bedded stock and seeing how cool the mold is.
    Yeah it's cool seeing the barrel stampings in the glass. Tip-do it in the coldest part of the winter. If it gets stuck bad, leave it outside. The metal shrinks and comes right out.

I remember the very first one that I glassed. I was nervous as heck. I used Brownells Acra-Glass and followed the instructions to the nth degree. It came out perfect.

I once glassed a Winchester 70 in 243. It shot inch groups all day long but I was after 1/2 inch groups. After glassing the same load wouldn't shoot under an inch and a half. I had removed the pressure point at the end of the stock and my gun didn't like that. In the end I glassed in a new pressure point and was back to where I started.

I don't think glassing is the answer all the time. Some of the new stocks are milled to tolerance that make the action fit pretty tightly. Glass will increase the stocks integrity and make them less apt to split and the like but won't always make the gun shoot better. Just my 2 cents worth!

My son has a truck gun that once was mine. It is a Stevens 200 in 223. It shoots as well as most match grade rifles. I hope he never tries to take it apart cuz iI glassed it without any release agent on purpose. The barreled action and stock are one. I stuck a metal "U"guard clamp between the barrel and the front of the stock before tightening the action screws. Then wiggled it out after the glass had cured. The action and first three inches of the barrel are welded to the stock but the barrel channel is floated from that point forward. I then sprayed it with white paint so the coyotes couldn't see it and so that it would'n rust shut behind the seat in the truck!