Thread: 2014 UCI Comm Fish Outlook released...

Default 2014 UCI Comm Fish Outlook released...

"Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

It looks to be a great year for drift gillnetting in the Cook Inlet the year!! Hope they show as called for. I hope to be done and home by the 1st of Aug. The last three years I was home by the 29th of July.

While this outlook is a summary of the Board actions it is not factual or how the season will be managed. First, all the must language in the plan says must do this or that - not true. The Board said in the meeting and at the petition review that they expect ADF&G to use its e.o authority to manage for all goals. That means with the run strengths they will go out of the plans without question. If the chinook run is low as forecast then I expect that the drift fleet plan will be violated first. Next, Kasilof at 1.1 million sockeye forecast means trouble for management. The drift fleet cannot handle this level of return so ADF&G will have to fish the set nets and terminal area. So that begs the questions about hours per subdistrict because if they fish early in the week south of the Blanchard line that means there could be no hours north latter in the week. If the hours are separate then both groups get to target the fish they need to harvest. Finally, the fact that none of this was mentioned in the outlook says to me that ADF&G really does not know what they are going to do and will wing it in-season.

One final issue is that the plans are confusing for the drift fleet on what is a week. The plan has dates of action mid-week and week in regulation is defined as Sunday to Saturday. So how does ADF&G resolve that issue? The Board never discussed it.

All of this just points out the reason time and area limitations in the plan are meaningless, confuses the public, confuses ADF&G and points to a broken system. Some expect ADF&G to follow the plans to the letter and when they do not all heck breaks loose. The Board of Fish is irresponsible for creating this situation.

Nerka - that is exactly what I thought when I read that thing. It is not worth the paper it wasn't typed on.