Thread: Scouting Tonight

Default Scouting Tonight

Got drawn fairly late so I ended up with a site about half mile further back than last year down here on the refuge. Went to scout it out tonight and the snow is still way deeper in the woods than I expected, knee deep and rotten in lots of places.

We ended up spotting a grouse, 2 eagles, picked up an agate and a moose shed! The shed was small, one broke tip and a little faded, looks like last years. I was still stoked!

Saw a few fresh moose tracks, no bear, coyote, wolf or lynx tracks that I could find.

Quote Originally Posted by limon32 View Post
    Got drawn fairly late so I ended up with a site about half mile further back than last year down here on the refuge. Went to scout it out tonight and the snow is still way deeper in the woods than I expected, knee deep and rotten in lots of places.

We ended up spotting a grouse, 2 eagles, picked up an agate and a moose shed! The shed was small, one broke tip and a little faded, looks like last years. I was still stoked!

Saw a few fresh moose tracks, no bear, coyote, wolf or lynx tracks that I could find.
    An agate inland; how unusual, and cool. The woods is a good place to be whether you get what you came for or not. You just have to keep your eyes open for all the magical stuff.
    Might still need snowshoes out there.

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    An agate inland; how unusual, and cool. The woods is a good place to be whether you get what you came for or not. You just have to keep your eyes open for all the magical stuff.
    Might still need snowshoes out there.
    We actually find quite a few walking some gravel roads inland. I've thought about trying to figure out what gravel put the road was built from so I could go on a dig, but I never get serious about it.

Snowshoes would have been good tonight, I was just glad to get out in the sun though!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just put some bait out today. Delivery by snowmachine, hard crust to cruise along on foot, too. Until about 10 am

Quote Originally Posted by willphish4food View Post
    Just put some bait out today. Delivery by snowmachine, hard crust to cruise along on foot, too. Until about 10 am
    I put my barrel and stand out from a snow machine last year, it was great! This year no snow and I ended up with a site about a mile back so I'm going to have to lighten up my barrel, thinking about going to a plastic one or buckets, not sure... We don't get to put out bait until the 1st on the refuge, can't wait to see some pictures start rolling in from you early guys!

Hey limon32 where and/or who informed you that bait cannot be out on the KNWR until after May 1st? Nowhere in this current fiscal year Addendum P does it specify that as well that wasn't presented and/or clarified from KNWR staff during the bait site lottery and/or registration of both the site and registration of bear bait permit through the state authorities.

We put a bait out a week ago tonight. Nothing so far. Not much snow at all farther down south......
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by polaristracker View Post
    Hey limon32 where and/or who informed you that bait cannot be out on the KNWR until after May 1st? Nowhere in this current fiscal year Addendum P does it specify that as well that wasn't presented and/or clarified from KNWR staff during the bait site lottery and/or registration of both the site and registration of bear bait permit through the state authorities.
    You know its funny you mention that, I couldn't find it anywhere either, I was told that when I called to ask. Having said that I talked to the girl at the front desk, NOT an enforcement officer. There was enough snow to keep me off my site anyway so I didn't bother calling back to talk with the enforcement. It might be worth checking with them again and actually talking to an enforcement officer?