Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 31

Thread: Another reason to like Cabela's.

  1. #1
    Member hogfamily's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Anchorage Suburbanites, part time Willowbillies, Appleseeds, and Weekend Warrior Turquoise Miners!
    Posts
    1,094

    Default Another reason to like Cabela's.






    They also allow open carry that is secured in a holster.

  2. #2
    Supporting Member iofthetaiga's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Tanana Valley AK
    Posts
    7,224

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hogfamily View Post
    Do they understand a permit is not required to carry concealed in Alaska?
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

  3. #3
    Sponsor ADfields's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Missing Palmer AK in Phonix AZ.
    Posts
    6,416

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    Do they understand a permit is not required to carry concealed in Alaska?
    I think so, same signs in AZ where no permit is needed ether. I would have said "lawfull concerned Carry" but I suspect the signage predates constitutional carry being an option in states they have stores.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    AK
    Posts
    4,034

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    Do they understand a permit is not required to carry concealed in Alaska?
    I think they ordered 1000 of these posters for all their stores, just my guess, but that's how signs for Big 5 were made when I worked there.

  5. #5
    Supporting Member iofthetaiga's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Tanana Valley AK
    Posts
    7,224

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by limon32 View Post
    I think they ordered 1000 of these posters for all their stores, just my guess, but that's how signs for Big 5 were made when I worked there.
    Yeah, I know. Mine was more of a rhetorical statement.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    AK
    Posts
    4,034

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    Yeah, I know. Mine was more of a rhetorical statement.
    Ha ha ha... Ok, you never know!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  7. #7
    Supporting Member iofthetaiga's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Tanana Valley AK
    Posts
    7,224

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by limon32 View Post
    Ha ha ha... Ok, you never know!
    One could just as easily comment (again, rhetorically) on the sad necessity of making such a postscript on their signage in the first place... But without it, a significant number of folks carrying concealed would come unglued and raise a stink, thinking the sign was directed at them. Sad that everything has to be dumbed down to the lowest common denominator.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

  8. #8
    Member hogfamily's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Anchorage Suburbanites, part time Willowbillies, Appleseeds, and Weekend Warrior Turquoise Miners!
    Posts
    1,094

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    Do they understand a permit is not required to carry concealed in Alaska?
    Yes they do. It is a generic sign.

  9. #9
    Member hogfamily's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Anchorage Suburbanites, part time Willowbillies, Appleseeds, and Weekend Warrior Turquoise Miners!
    Posts
    1,094

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    One could just as easily comment (again, rhetorically) on the sad necessity of making such a postscript on their signage in the first place... But without it, a significant number of folks carrying concealed would come unglued and raise a stink, thinking the sign was directed at them. Sad that everything has to be dumbed down to the lowest common denominator.
    If you read the entire sign the reason for the CC statement is obvious.

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Palmer, AK
    Posts
    629

    Default

    Are you ready for some ambiguous and confusing info? Here's the policy on Cabela's own page:

    Carry Concealed Firearm Policy (Retail Stores)

    What is your store policy for concealed-carry firearms?

    If you have a concealed carry permit and it is valid within the state where the store is located, Cabela's honors your right to carry as long as it is completely concealed.
    States with open carry provisions will be allowed as long as the firearm remains in the holster.
    Law enforcement officials, state and federal authorized personnel (e.g. FBI officials, armored truck drivers, ATF officials) are permitted to carry weapons openly in the store.

    https://cabelas.custhelp.com/app/ans...SGE2Vy1FZGw%3D

    Think that one through for a second. If you have a permit you may concealed carry, but if not you can't. However, if the state allows open carry, then that's ok as long as you keep it holstered... BTW, I'm not saying this is their intent, but that's how it's worded. Bottom line, as long as you keep it holstered either open or concealed they shouldn't care. The moment you un-holster to get service or check fit a new holster, you get the nanny lock and the guy who enjoys walking the store with you while he carries your handgun for you. LOL.

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.
    Posts
    8,816

    Default

    Nope, "Down with'em".

    You would think that Cabelas having been doin business with Alaskans through Mail Order for as long as they have been would know SOMETHING about Alaska, they apparently don't.

    BUT, that's not the big thing here. It's the stupid signs. "They care about our "Safety". What utter nonsense.

    I have no respect for any store that equates "Safety" with "Restrictions on Guns".

    Why do they need a "policy" on carrying guns in the store. Won't local laws suffice?

    They sell guns and ammo, but they are afraid they'll offend, an REIer??? They think they are being Responsible??? How perverted is that? A huge part of their current business, now is due to the ammo shortage.

    I hope they go "Belly UP" nationwide, and in Alaska they go SOUTH.

    Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

  12. #12
    Member hogfamily's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Anchorage Suburbanites, part time Willowbillies, Appleseeds, and Weekend Warrior Turquoise Miners!
    Posts
    1,094

    Default

    Talking with the folks at the gun check in, several of which are here from lower 48 Cabela's for the opening, they had several stories of people coming into stores with loaded firearms most often in gun cases. When checked they were found to be loaded even though the people that had the guns insisted that they were unloaded. They have even had negligent discharges from "unloaded firearms".

    Many people that buy firearms especially the last few years have no clue about gun safety. I see it all the time at local ranges.

    Generally most people that carry CCW are a little more familiar with firearms. I say generally as I have seen many safety mistakes by CCW also.

    Several local gun stores her in Anchorage do not allow CC at all in their shops.

    So are firearm rules at a gun range also equating safety with restrictions on guns?

    Their store their rules.

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.
    Posts
    8,816

    Default

    hog:
    Stupidity can always be justified for stupid reasons.

    So what is the reason for the sign?

    They're not posting Safety Rules for safe handling of firearms in the store as one might expect at a range. This is concerning CC. It's the mindset that carrying guns in there is dangerous. You can do it, but THEY CARE.

    Which stores in Anchorage do not allow CC in their shops? I think that would be bad for business, certainly mine. This is the first time I've heard of it.

    Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    AK
    Posts
    4,034

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    hog:
    Stupidity can always be justified for stupid reasons.

    So what is the reason for the sign?

    They're not posting Safety Rules for safe handling of firearms in the store as one might expect at a range. This is concerning CC. It's the mindset that carrying guns in there is dangerous. You can do it, but THEY CARE.

    Which stores in Anchorage do not allow CC in their shops? I think that would be bad for business, certainly mine. This is the first time I've heard of it.

    Smitty of the North
    I think your reading what you want to, the sign clearly says that it does not apply to CCW. How then could it be safety related to CCWs? Having watched enough people handle guns when I was selling them, I don't have any issue with their sign, particularly since they were nice enough to exclude CCW.

    Its bad enough you have to watch your .22 ammo in your cart, imagine trying to watch all the guys handling guns and ammo at the same time!

  15. #15
    Member hogfamily's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Anchorage Suburbanites, part time Willowbillies, Appleseeds, and Weekend Warrior Turquoise Miners!
    Posts
    1,094

    Default

    I do not want to name the shops as I will likely get a time out. Let's say one maybe across the street from Sears.

    I have not entered the others since I saw their signs on their doors years ago and can not immediately recall their names as I will never do business with them. Their store their rules, my money my rules.

    Reason for the sign I would guess is to let those CCW know that they can carry concealed in the store and not have to remove the firearm and unload it.

    Personally I'm happy that they allow CCW. There are a lot of businesses that don't. Sears Mall for example.

    They also allow open carry. How many places in Anchorage would you have the police called on you if you tried that? Quite a few I would bet.

    I know you have been around long enough to know that a lot of people do not follow safety rules, or have common sense enough, to be trusted handling firearms.

  16. #16
    Sponsor ADfields's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Missing Palmer AK in Phonix AZ.
    Posts
    6,416

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post

    So what is the reason for the sign?


    Smitty of the North
    Insurance is why,to satisfy their insurance company and not get a cancelation notice. Wasilla Sportsman's has a check-in at the front desk, there is a bullet trap there on the counter and it's been shot even. Every gun show checks your weapon and ties the action . . . Insurance and lawyers force business to do these things like it or not.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

  17. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Palmer, AK
    Posts
    629

    Default

    Consider this. You walk into some place to eat. Let's say a pizza place for sake of discussion. You sit down at the table and immediately draw your concealed handgun and place it on the table. Is that kosher? The pizza place may not have an issue with you carrying it, but that drawing and placing action might be construed very negatively. Now, think in the realm of Cabela's. The pizza place doesn't sell accessories for handguns. So that scenario is not very likely. But Cabela's (and for that matter SW and BassPro and Wal-mart and even FM) do sell accessories. And all they need is one yahoo to walk into their store while concealed carrying and get the sudden urge to fit test his handgun. Next thing you know, there he is drawing from concealment. Which would be a no-no anywhere else right? But it's too tempting to said yahoo. Then, heaven forbid, our yahoo in trying to fit test his piece, accidentally discharges it into the floor. Or worse, a customer.

    The sign isn't about we don't like you carrying scary guns. It's more of a polite reminder that if you are carrying, please don't be tempted to draw a loaded gun in the store. and if you really want to fit test it, do it where everyone expects you to draw it and clear it. That's all. It's a legal thing to keep them from being sued. "Hey, we had a rule in place, it's not our fault yahoo shot that guy in the foot."

  18. #18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    Nope, "Down with'em". You would think that Cabelas having been doin business with Alaskans through Mail Order for as long as they have been would know SOMETHING about Alaska, they apparently don't. BUT, that's not the big thing here. It's the stupid signs. "They care about our "Safety". What utter nonsense. I have no respect for any store that equates "Safety" with "Restrictions on Guns". Why do they need a "policy" on carrying guns in the store. Won't local laws suffice?They sell guns and ammo, but they are afraid they'll offend, an REIer??? They think they are being Responsible??? How perverted is that? A huge part of their current business, now is due to the ammo shortage. I hope they go "Belly UP" nationwide, and in Alaska they go SOUTH. Smitty of the North
    I must have missed something there. As I read it, they are not limiting your ability to carry guns in the store at all, they are simply saying that if it is legal in the state/location you are at, it is legal there. They are simply telling you that they don't want you pulling it out and waving it around.

  19. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.
    Posts
    8,816

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by limon32 View Post
    I think your reading what you want to, the sign clearly says that it does not apply to CCW. How then could it be safety related to CCWs? Having watched enough people handle guns when I was selling them, I don't have any issue with their sign, particularly since they were nice enough to exclude CCW.

    Its bad enough you have to watch your .22 ammo in your cart, imagine trying to watch all the guys handling guns and ammo at the same time!
    Would I do that? Get all carried away? Me???

    I was reading what I didn't want to. I seem to have misread the sign, to some degree.

    I took it to mean they were catering to the crowd that is uncomfortable with guns, but then really not doing anything but giving lip service to it. because CC was allowed, as was OC. You're SAFE. Guns hafta be checked in.

    In a more thoughtful approach I can see that the sign must mean that they want to check guns being brought in for work, sale, or trade.

    The first line in the sign says "Please check in ALL firearms here, and the rest is hard to read in the picture. I was able to read the part where it said "We care about your safety" That implied something I didn't like.

    If the sign had said check in guns brought in for work, etc. The stuff about CC would be unnecessary.

    Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

  20. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.
    Posts
    8,816

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by anchskier View Post
    I must have missed something there. As I read it, they are not limiting your ability to carry guns in the store at all, they are simply saying that if it is legal in the state/location you are at, it is legal there. They are simply telling you that they don't want you pulling it out and waving it around.
    I missed something. In reading the sign.

    Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •