Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Buying an out of state ocean boat...info???

Default Buying an out of state ocean boat...info???

I am looking to buy a new ocean boat. Preferably older fiberglass (to get it into my price range). And have considered looking out of state and shipping up here. I thought I would see if anyone has any information on this. Any good websites, business, shipping info etc. I understand it may be a wash with the price but it's just a thought. Any info would be appreciated. I would rather have info from people who have actually done this themselves or who have close friends that have. PM me, call or text.

Thanks...Adam 841-6569

Adam what's your price range. That would a good start for us to help you.
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

Ok no laughing allowed...it's 15,000 cash. I'm 27 years old and starting a family. I would like to fix it up with the family ya know.

Shipping gonna run you 5000.00+. Might look in state with your limited budget

It depends on how handy you are. 15k might seem like not a whole lot, but it's doable. Look for an older glassply, olympic, etc. 22-26ft. One with a blown engine the owner is trying to get rid of could be really cheap. Then you need to come up with power. You can search The Hull Truth and grab some good older electronics for it. Like I said, it'd doable, but be smart about it, and know your mechanical limitations.

Good luck.

Grady White & a bayliner listed at ak boat brokers for under 20k

If you are handy with engines, this one :http://juneau.craigslist.org/boa/4366939815.html Might be able to lowball and get a new engine for it and still be at budget.

It's when you have to start paying people 80-90 an hour to work on your stuff is when things get really expensive.

Yea I've been looking up here a bunch. I know I can find one. And I have a friend who can do all the mechanical. I've been looking at late 80s fiberglass boats. 22-24 foot. I'll definitely find the right one. Just seeing if anyone had any experience shopping out of state. I've seen some shipping in the 3-4k range so I thought I'd ask and see if anyone has done this before. Thanks

I've towed two boats up, from Idaho and Washington, and I highly recommend the trip as long as the trailer is in decent shape. Don't believe all the drama you hear about the road conditions, it is an easy but long tow up there but cheaper and more secure than buying and shipping without being there along the trip.

If you are looking out of state, look at Washington and Oregon coasts, or anywhere in those states as lots of people tow their boats to the coast and also use them on the Columbia etc. Generally, some bargains to be found, but can get expensive to travel and look at the boat, and you MUST do that unless you know and trust (really trust) some friend that lives near the boat (good way to mess up a friendship?).

Good luck! I might suggest the Bayliner Trophy as a starter, lots of 22-23 footers on the market in your price range and a sea-worthy boat. Many are inboard/outboard sterndrive) but go with an outboard if you can IMO...

Charterboat Operator

http://anchorage.craigslist.org/boa/4407758797.html

one here in Anchorage, ready to go for 16K am sure you could dicker or make up the difference.

As Cap Ron says, a Bayliner Trophy is a good start. I found a ready to run 1992 23' Trophy in Utah for $12,000. I towed it Alaska, ran it for a year and sold it for $15,000+. It gave me a chance to test myself on the salt and then I was ready to move up.

Quote Originally Posted by ak_mathews View Post
    Ok no laughing allowed...it's 15,000 cash. I'm 27 years old and starting a family. I would like to fix it up with the family ya know.
    No laughing from me. That's more cash than I had for my first boat. Check boat trader out. Mite give you couple ideas.
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

Quote Originally Posted by POLE BENDER View Post
    http://anchorage.craigslist.org/boa/4407758797.html

one here in Anchorage, ready to go for 16K am sure you could dicker or make up the difference.

30 year old 280 outdrive !!hand over face.jpg

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    30 year old 280 outdrive !!hand over face.jpg
    330 hrs on a rebuild.. That's one of the cleanest engins/eng compartments I've ever seen on a bayliner of that era.. That indicates to me the boat has been well cared for..

Quote Originally Posted by ak_mathews View Post
    I am looking to buy a new ocean boat. Preferably older fiberglass (to get it into my price range). And have considered looking out of state and shipping up here. I thought I would see if anyone has any information on this. Any good websites, business, shipping info etc. I understand it may be a wash with the price but it's just a thought. Any info would be appreciated. I would rather have info from people who have actually done this themselves or who have close friends that have. PM me, call or text.

Thanks...Adam 841-6569
    any time your buying a used boat, Unless the seller can show documentation that the motor(s) were recently rebuilt/replaced you'll always have the question of How soon are you going to have to rebuild/replace the motor(s).. and the same goes for the outdrives if so equipped. IMHO you can find a suitable family style boat in AK for less than you can go outside, buy a boat and drive or haul it back to AK.. and then find out you'll have to rebuild/replace the motor/outdrive. I don't have the numbers anymore, but I went through this very thing years ago when I was looking for a boat that would be suitable for 6 pack charter operations. There were a couple boats available here in AK, but I thought they were asking way too much. So I went "outside" shopped around, crunched some numbers, then came back to AK and bought one of the boats available. Another fact that helped me make up my mind was I knew most of the history of the boat I eventually bought..

Look at boats in michigan. We have big boats and big water. Just a quick look on craigslist produced 6 boats from 22-26 ' for less then $8,000.

Ron
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science"

Edwin Hubble

I towed my 21ft SeaPro up from South Carolina. Was an easy tow with great scenery. I've recently bought another boat, over the winter, so I'm selling mine. You can get the prices down if you buy over the winter, now as the season is here, prices are going up. Check craigslist often and you will eventually find something.
    TIGHT LINES...ALASKA!!
    2005 Trophy Pro 2359
    "Nut-N-Honey"

What are the thoughts on here from you "experts" on a 24' bayliner trophy will Alaskan bulkhead? The motor is good, but the outdrive needs work. This is the strongest lead I have right now. I know I could end up with roughly 5,000 in an outdrive but in theory the boat should be good to go after that. Then of course its the electronics and interior that need work. Any advice on the strength and longevity of the trophy hulls. Again I understand it depends on how well its been taken care of and kept up on. Any way to check the transom with an inboard for strength? I know how with an outboard, but with an inboard outdrive Im not really sure. But I would like to see if there is any rot in the boat...BEFORE I buy it

Really just get away from out drives. One repair can shelf that boat in quick order. Saving bucks up front on a "good deal")isn't justifiable (I.e. "Voodoo math" as my dad calls it)
    Everyone seems to think low hours and/or rebuilds are golden. No way. I'd rather have older well used equipment that's been maintained. Look at how many boats (in the out drive category) that are for sale. How many guys up here put on over a hundred hours a season? And yet so many have rebuilt this & that?
    Why not get a bayliner or whatever and swap to an outboard? Bust Out Another Thousand rings true for all boats, especially I/O's.
    Any 4 stroke outboard is gonna outlast an out drive and much easier to work on. My old F100's are year 2000's and just turned 2030 hrs. I take care of them, racked up over 700 hrs on them last season. Yep there's stuff like timing belts, oil pumps, and lower unit seals I've replaced cause we rack up the hours but none of that has even come close to just putting 5k into the drive.
    Overall bayliners are like Whitman chocolates compared to See's. I wouldn't hesitate on one that's in good shape, just know you're not getting a Sea Sport, Roamer, Osprey, etc. (and dump the I/O)
    Look for pooling water or standing water stains. Gel coat cracking or other general fiberglass cracking in stress areas should be checked. Probe around in these areas with a sharp knife point, water intrusion behind gelcoat will allow it to be flaked off easily.
    Again, really be careful about an I/O and good luck with your search, post on what you find!
    Check out Quickwater Adventure water taxi/transport services: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Quick...37553606260978

Quote Originally Posted by GrassLakeRon View Post
    Look at boats in michigan. We have big boats and big water. Just a quick look on craigslist produced 6 boats from 22-26 ' for less then $8,000.

Ron
    Good point. A friend of mine was shopping for boats and got a steal on a boat from Michigan. It didn't make sense to NOT drive out, spend a few days making sure the trailer was proper/new tires/new wiring and tow it back. He had three or four options to choose from in case the one he wanted wasn't the right one, hired a mechanic to check things out, etc.. Big selection, very low prices (relatively speaking!) when he was shopping a few years ago.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast