Thread: Whittier Rodeo

Default Whittier Rodeo

Well the launch attendants are doing a much better job than last year. It seems that with a year of practice they finally have it figured out. Don't know why they haven't stared a shuttle to the parking area. Seems like an easy way for Whittier to make some more $ and spead up the launch.
    Now if only some of the boaters would have a little patience. Seen a black ford with a 28' Osprey that must have been in a big hurry. He goes by everyone in line and goes to Smitty's to launch. As we launch our boat, they are trying to pull into a vacant slip by the launch. Bam, bounce off the boat in the adjacent slip. Didn't even look like the checked the other boat to see if they damaged it. We launch 2 boats, park and leave the dock before they do. So much for being in a hurry. The boat name was Lip something or another. What a Jack *****.

Default Suggested Shuttle

Talked to the parking people and a 4 wheeler with a cart/buggy to go back and forth has been looked at BUT they are afraid if something happened, like people falling off the lawyers would come running. But at least they where checking out insurance costs.
    I'd say if your dumb enough to fall off then you walk.
    Bring up the subject again.

In my experiance the whittier harbor is one of the trickiest places to navigate a boat especially on a weekend, lots and lots and lots of traffic combined with weird currents. lots of people who have no clue how to drive also
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    In my experiance the whittier harbor is one of the trickiest places to navigate a boat especially on a weekend, lots and lots and lots of traffic combined with weird currents. lots of people who have no clue how to drive also
    Yeah, some guy in a 28' boat almost took out the ET of my boat. Somehow he decided since I was parked behind him at the dock it would be easier for him to turn around and then sqeeze between me and the slips (middle launch). Only problem, when he realized that it was tight he got on it and came out hot. Missed me by an inch or two........
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

The launches can get pretty crowded. Especially the one by the harbor masters office. It always amazes me to see these guys pile up at the launch, at low tide waiting to load their boats. I always go park in one of the empty slips by the fish cleaning station, go get my trailer and then load my boat. I actually had one guy come up to me and tell me he was next in line, waiting on his trailer and that he needed to load his boat! I said me too.

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by 4whlr View Post
    .....Seen a black ford with a 28' Osprey that must have been in a big hurry. He goes by everyone in line and goes to Smitty's to launch. As we launch our boat, they are trying to pull into a vacant slip by the launch. Bam, bounce off the boat in the adjacent slip. Didn't even look like the checked the other boat to see if they damaged it. We launch 2 boats, park and leave the dock before they do. So much for being in a hurry. The boat name was Lip something or another. What a Jack *****.
    There are always one or two in every crowd.