Thread: another espar install

Charterboat Operator kodiakcombo's Avatar

Default another espar install

I put a D4 in my ocean roamer in 2010 and it is still running without any problems, its plumbed into my mains fuel tank. I just got done putting a D2 in my seasport and think we have a bad battery cause the espar doesnt run all night. Both units were purchased from Advanced Diesel in Anchorage. We plumbed the D2 with a 3 gallon tank, it runs fine all day while trolling but when we leave her tied in the harbor espar is off. The D2 has a digi control? different than my D4 in the Roamer. Both the batteries read 12.5 in the morning when checked.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Providing trips for multilpe species for over 20 yrs
    www.kodiakcombos.com

Do you know which digital controller you have? The manual for the 801 series digital controller states- ''Note: The 801 10 001 version will only run for a maximum period of 1 hour.''. I have the D2 with the 801 and have NOT had it shut off on me after an hour. It does shut off once it comes up to temprature, but will turn back on once it drops below the commanded temp. Since I have not left it on without being in it, I wonder if when it shuts off at temp, it considers that as 'off' and the 1 hr begins again once it starts up? I have not been in extremly cold weather with it either (even when I went to Punchbowl in the end of December for a few days). The small cabin and body heat in my boat might allow it to get to the temp and shut 'off' to give it a break that it needs. I'll turn her on in the driveway and try it out the next 'cold' day we have (probably need to leave the windows and doors open so it stays cold in there).

Thanx Muttley for a clue .I installed one in my boat last fall and kinda having the same issues. I'll check my model # also

Check the factory shut off default with the digital controller, it,s probably set at 12.?!
    With the digital you can set it lower to continue running, just a thought.
    Mine Did the same, d4
    BK

ok, I tried my new D2 today. Full of kerosene, 12.5 volts. When I push the fan buttons the fan runs fine. When I hit the off button it shuts off. But when I hit the heat button the red light comes on and nothing happens, with the thermost turned on hi. No noise. And I just installed it last fall after moose season and it all ran fine in the yard then. Any body have any ideas? I'm in Slowdota, not sure who to look for help on this. Thanx

Is it airlocked? Crack the fuel line and see if you have fuel getting to the D2

Which controller do you have; the Mini? Steady red light or flashing? When you say nothing happens, does that include the fuel pump doesn't click either? Have you 'exercised' it over the last few months? Battery has 12.5V, but are the amps good? Did you keep it (battery) on a maintainer or use it over the winter?

Mini controler. Pulled the batterys for winter because I went outside for 3 months. Batterys new and fully charged and red lite is steady. The purge fan comes on for about 15 sec and then quits. Fuel pump doesn't start to pump (click). So I haven't had a chance to exercise it and I have it full of kerosene.

I lean towards the fuel pump- it could be stuck from sitting and a couple of taps may be all she needs (seen that a few times). You can also disconnect the electric plug to the pump and multimeter to ensure she is getting power. On all the fuel pumps I have seen, you can take off (unscrew) the one side of the fuel pump to empty out and make sure the diaphragm inside is able to move. Here is the PDF for the Mini controller: http://www.esparofmichigan.com/cmsAd...controller.pdf .

I listened to Muttley and also talked to Travis at Advanced Diesel. So, I disconnected the plug from the fuel pump and tapped it several times with 12v and got it to work. I also hooked up the charger to the battery to make sure I had full voltage when under load. When I got the heater running it was drawing 9.5 to 10.2 amps. after running about 15 min the amp draw dropped to 1.5 to 2amps. Now it starts and runs easy. I guess running it once a month is a good idea. ?? Or it being brand new it needed to loosen up a bit.