Thread: Landing Moraine Lake

Default Landing Moraine Lake

Anybody landed on Moraine Lake near the Ruth Glacier? I'm considering running up this spring for a day hike.

Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've landed there in a 206 and a Beaver. Take a look at http://www.alaskaalpineadventures.co...-national-park for more info. Google moraine lake for more info.

Landed there twice today. Sank in about a foot and half on a good base. No apparent overflow in middle of lake. Big camp on west end. I would not want to be there with wheel penetration skis.

RK

Thanks Monguse and RK. Any other good spots for a floatplane up there? I have family up in late June and thought I would run up for a day hike. I haven't been up and don't want to crowd the commercial operators

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You might consider Chelatna Lake. It's huge and the northwest end (inlet end) has a nice sandy beach, the scenery is beautiful and you could hike up the inlet, but be noisy and wary of bears.

Quote Originally Posted by Monguse View Post
    You might consider Chelatna Lake. It's huge and the northwest end (inlet end) has a nice sandy beach, the scenery is beautiful and you could hike up the inlet, but be noisy and wary of bears.

Graham Mower, formerly Chief Pilot for the old Cordova Airlines, owned by Merle "Mudhole" Smith, used to own the lodge there. He operated all over that part of the country with an old C-170 on wheels. I remember what a great cook and baker his mother was. Is the lodge still open? And does the Mower family still own it?

Graham hung it up with the airlines after dropping through a heavy, low overcast at ANC only to see the control tower dead ahead of the DC-3C he was flying. Gene Effler then became the line's Chief Pilot.