Thread: Possession limit on overnight guide charter trip??

Default Possession limit on overnight guide charter trip??

Hello I have looked at much of the federal regulations on the "new" laws in regards to halibut fishing this season in area 3a. Can any one explain What is the possession limit on a 3 day guided charter trip. Thanks for any explanation on the possession limits!

I would suggest getting a copy of the regulations, for Halibut and pelagic Rockfish you can have a double limit on an overnight or longer trip, for salmon and Lingcod a single limit. Note special size limit requirements on Halibut for Charter trips are 1 any size and 1 under 29" per day.

The federal rules for possession limit is not the same as state rules. For halibut, you can only have two days worth of halibut on board and even if they are frozen you cannot retain any more on the third day since they are still in your possession (onboard). You must offload your two days worth of halibut and freeze them, before you can retain your third days bag limit. Call NOAA for confirmation at 907-586-7228
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

Quote Originally Posted by FishGod View Post
    The federal rules for possession limit is not the same as state rules. For halibut, you can only have two days worth of halibut on board and even if they are frozen you cannot retain any more on the third day since they are still in your possession (onboard). You must offload your two days worth of halibut and freeze them, before you can retain your third days bag limit. Call NOAA for confirmation at 907-586-7228
    Exactly - If you do a 3 or more day trip the fish must be transferred if you intend on keeping more than two days limit. I did a 3 day trip and a sister vessel of the outfit we went with was prepared to take the halibut if we needed them to. Per the captain - Transfer fish to sister vessel and wait for the call on the SAT Phone letting us know the fish had been delivered to the processors. Until that call came in we would be eating dinner and enjoying the view.

Not sure how the processed law works if you are staying at a remote lodge - At some point you have to get the fish back to your originating port?
    When all else fails...ask your old-man.

AKArcher

I do the longer trips all the time and I have never had clients want more than the possession limit of halibut to bring home. When I take 6 guys and they bring home 150 pounds of halibut per fishermen plus rockfish, salmon, lingcod in season, it ends being way more fish than anyone can possible use or wants to pay for to ship home. For the most part on a three day trip, my guys bring back three or four halibut over 50 pounds ( probably average 80 pounds per fish if they want them that big. That gives each fisherman over 100 pounds of halibut fillets and then another 50 or so of salmon and bottom fish or three boxes of filleted fish per anglerů.That is more than enough for anyone to take home for three days of fishing in my humble opinion. All of the bag limits and restrictions are in place to protect the resource and as sport fishermen, its okay to not retain limits and transport fish with another boat in order to keep even more.

Great post AKCAPT. Well said!