Thread: .45 ammo question

Default .45 ammo question

I am not sure where to post this. I have a .45 glock 30 I carry for protection against animals four legged and two. I was wondering what a good ammo would be for this weapon again the larger potential threats, mainly bear. I have a few different kinds but I have two in specific I was wondering about. Federal premium 230 grain hydra shoo jhp versus the hornaday 185 grain ftx. Which of these would have better stopping and knock down power. I have other target ammo but this is the daily carry ammo. Also, are there any suggestions on a different kind of ammo to carry. Please keep the suggestions to ammo. I am saving to get a different side arm. Thank you in advance.

i recently asked a similar question regarding my 1911. i ended up with buffalo bore 255 cast. they have the most penetration i found without special ordering. recoil is heavy tho. get familar with it if you go this route, and make sure the glock is rated for the big 255's. i'm not a glock guy so i'm unaware if they are good for it or not

good luck and shot true

I love .45's but would not want to use one for bear protection. I certainly would not ever choose to use use a hollowpoint for bear protection as it would most likely open up too quickly and not penetrate where it needs to go. As stated by spdcrazy- check into the BB.

While not a 45, we do carry Glock G20sf, 10MM's. For us we use Buffalo Bore 220 hard cast for when we are in the woods. While the 45 may not be ones 'first' choice, it can be better then nothing. What ever ammo you choose, stay away from hollow points. Get a good bullet with a lot of frontal area.

Try searching, this exact conversation has been carries out in the last month.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So, what would be a better bear gun in a handgun?

Quote Originally Posted by Marshman View Post
    Start with a 44 mag & work your way up from there.

Quote Originally Posted by Marshman View Post
    Again, this gets debated 4 times a year on this forum, previous posters advice is generally accepted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Look for a solid jacketed bullet (don't shoot un jacketed lead through a Glock unless you rebarrel it, their rifling will cause severe leading) with a flat point, I think Double Tap has a load, check Northern Security or call around. I found some 230 +p to load specifically for carry in the woods (hand loads). First Brown killed in self defense in Denali was killed by a 45ACP, that does not mean it is a good one for bears, just means it is better than becoming a chew toy.

Quote Originally Posted by limon32 View Post
    Again, this gets debated 4 times a year on this forum...
    Only four
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    Only four
    I was trying to be polite?

[QUOTE=Marshman;1385908]So, what would be a better bear gun in a handgun?[/QUOTE
    I think your question should be what would be the better cal? There is a list of better choices on a weapon for large four legged critters and with a range of prices.
    What is the best caliber? There are a number of them as well but I would start at a 44mag and go from there anything below that is either powered high enough but bullet weight is low or weight is good but under powered.
    Good luck

Sweepint
    Wasilla, (when not overseas)
    '' Livn' The Dream ''
    26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam