Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone seen page 42 in adfg

Default Has anyone seen page 42 in adfg

Has anyone seen the ADFG regulations about crooked creek on page 42, it seems contradictory "NO RETENTION of rainbow/steelhead trout is allowed year round" I think this may be a small typo. Since I have started this thread about steelhead, does anyone know where it is permissible to fish?

You can fish.

It's catch and release only.

NO RETENTION
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

so where is it possible to retain steelhead, that is accessible with a vehicle lol seems they completely closed everything?

Quote Originally Posted by dmmccleary View Post
    so where is it possible to retain steelhead, that is accessible with a vehicle lol seems they completely closed everything?
    I almost hate to post this but since it is fairly common knowledge anyway....
    The Kasilof River upstream of the Sterling highway bridge.
    Though I will say having a drift boat greatly increases your odds of hooking one in this area.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

I'm no catch and release purist by any means, but, with the amazing availability of salmon and the relatively small steelhead runs, why would you want to take a healthy steelhead out of the breeding population?

Quote Originally Posted by Seabass417 View Post
    I'm no catch and release purist by any means, but, with the amazing availability of salmon and the relatively small steelhead runs, why would you want to take a healthy steelhead out of the breeding population?
    I don't know. I used to think that ADF&G knew exactly what they were doing... not so much anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    I don't know. I used to think that ADF&G knew exactly what they were doing... not so much anymore.
    I think they are just trying to save what little hatchery fish remain from the crooked creek run……if there is any left.

i agree. Plenty of sockeyes silvers and pinks even dollies if you want but why kill a steelie? Kind of a jerk move to do so IMHO with the availability of other food fish.

Has anyone seen the cover of the new south central regs? Don't think it counts as 'fly fishing' like the description states. Hope it was during the unrestricted season on the Ruski...

The reason i want to kill one is to eat it and see if it taste any different then a lake rainbow, thats the only reason.
    Quote Originally Posted by live4chrome View Post
    i agree. Plenty of sockeyes silvers and pinks even dollies if you want but why kill a steelie? Kind of a jerk move to do so IMHO with the availability of other food fish.

I wouldnt even consider the fish to actually be orginally wild, crooked is mostly stocked, am i correct?

In Minnesota you can catch and keep kamloops rainbow trout. Basically a steelhead but a stocked fish. They are good out of the lake but when spawning season comes around they loose their flavor and the meat turns mealy. It wouldn't surprise me if the sea runs do that too but I have never been inclined to kill one. Ill stick to my salmon and lake stocked rainbows.

The reason i want to kill one is to eat it and see if it taste any different then a lake rainbow, thats the only reason.
    Let's save you the trouble.

If you catch one this spring, it will be a nasty pale-meated flavorless pile of ****.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Steelhead are great eating! I have harvested from Oregon to Alaska, and Steehead from Alaska are just as good as any place.The regs don't allow the harvest of Steelhead around here on the KP anymore. For many years in SE we could keep them, then it went to only fish over 36in could be kept.

The steelhead I've eaten were good too.....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

When they come up they are fat and tasty; when they go out they are skinny. So says an old guy from Ninilchik who used to load up his skiff with steelies from Anchor River.

sayak, have you ever had a summer run steelhead from Oregon? The ones from the Anchor seem to be about the same when they first come in, with lots of fat around the guts and very small eggs or milt in them. Is that what you saw in them?

Quote Originally Posted by MGH55 View Post
    sayak, have you ever had a summer run steelhead from Oregon? The ones from the Anchor seem to be about the same when they first come in, with lots of fat around the guts and very small eggs or milt in them. Is that what you saw in them?
    No I have never (though I have eaten a steelhead in the fall and found it good). I'm talking about an old guy who fished for them in the 30s and 40s by rowing from Ninilchik down to Anchor river to fill up on steelhead for eating. Walter Jackinsky wrote about it in his book :"Any Ocean, Any Tonnage", and then I got additional info, from his brother, because I was interested.

Quote Originally Posted by Stripset View Post
    Has anyone seen the cover of the new south central regs? Don't think it counts as 'fly fishing' like the description states. Hope it was during the unrestricted season on the Ruski...
    I know the family. The picture was taken at the very end of August after the fly-fishing season ended.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

Steelhead are just like salmon, early on in their trip to fresh water they are fantastic eating late in their trip they get mushy and lose flavor. Since they winter over (here on the KP) by the time you catch them in the spring they are skinny with very little nutrients left in them and likewise rather bland flavor with mushy meat.

No I didn't find that out with KP fish, they do the same thing all over the west coast (snake river is where I killed my last steelhead).

If you want to see what a spring steelhead would taste like, eat a pink that is starting to turn grey! I'm just kidding, don't do that, but you get the idea.

I'm certainly not telling you not to kill one and try it if you have the chance, just don't bother with one that's all colored up, make sure its bright and silvery. After you have one you'll likely come to the conclusion that their not worth the effort as a food fish when reds and silvers are so easy to come by.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast