Thread: pass ports for Alaskan travel?

Default pass ports for Alaskan travel?

If a hunter drives to Alaska from the lower 48, does it require a passport given the new rules? Also, are there permits you need to get to bring a rifle? How difficult is bringing game back through Canada?

I got through with an ID and birth certificate 2 weeks ago. Yes there are permits check the back on the AK hunting regs or google up that info. I don't really know but I guess I'm gonna find out next fall driving back to school (if all goes well)
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

You will not need a passport until Jan. 2008, if you are driving. If you are transporting long guns, the easiest way I have found is to stop at the U.S. side first and fill out the claim form in which lists your serial numbers etc. They will also come out to your vehicle and look at them to verify. Then when you get to the Canadian side, take that paperwork in and they input it into their computer system, you pay them $25 (fee when I went thru in 2005) and you are on your way.

Here are the links to both sides so you can fill out the paperwork in advance and get more information on entry:

U.S./Canadian Border Patrol:

http://www.cbp.gov/

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/menu-e.html

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

Its my personal experience that things go much smoother if you have all of your firearm paperwork filled out prior to crossing the border. And its wise to pack you guns so they are easily accessable so they dont decide to rip through all of your other stuff too while they are at it. As far as driving you game back that might be more difficult because of meat restrictions and such.

nikster- another thing to think about is meat and hides going back...paperwork for everything, and if you are like most of the guys, going back to the lower 48 they are picking up their mounts from last years huntin' season, while dropping off this years trophies...yes they want to see paperwork for the taxidermy too...just a thought for you to think about so be prepared....K

Talking bite thy tongue

I've yet, after several trips through Canada driving or flying, to have a smooth transition, and that's with all the proper paperwork. It's been a hassle either with the Canadians or the Americans (more so), and I can't seem to win. Bite your tongue would be my advice and grit it out (they really don't want to feed you). Maybe it's just my luck to run into officials that fought all weekend with their spouses, anti's, or...just global warming. ciao.
    If you like getting kicked by a mule...then you'll "love" shooting my .458.

Default Papers

Definitely have all papers in order. We almost had difficulties making it back in. It's harder making it back into the US than getting out. (from experience)...

If you have children... and you are bringing them up... be sure that you have their paperwork, too.

Currently, it's taking almost 2 months to receive passports... or at least, for your case to be reviewed. Children passports are only valid for 5 years, but adults are for 10. Child ports are cheaper, too.

If you live in WA state, they are starting a pilot program to see how much easier it would be to issue ID like passports.

I also read/knew that the 'deadline' is Jan 2008. This has already been extended. If you come before, you are in luck. If you come after, you will need to have a passport by air, sea, or land.

There are a number of crimes that are misdemeanors in the US - like DUI - that the Canadians consider felonies. They are checking very closely these days so if you have anything in your background - like that time in college when you got caught with half a joint in your pocket - check with the nearest Canadian consulate to be sure you can go on through into Canada.

Quote Originally Posted by COtoAK View Post
    Definitely have all papers in order. We almost had difficulties making it back in. It's harder making it back into the US than getting out. (from experience)...

If you have children... and you are bringing them up... be sure that you have their paperwork, too.

Currently, it's taking almost 2 months to receive passports... or at least, for your case to be reviewed. Children passports are only valid for 5 years, but adults are for 10. Child ports are cheaper, too.

If you live in WA state, they are starting a pilot program to see how much easier it would be to issue ID like passports.

I also read/knew that the 'deadline' is Jan 2008. This has already been extended. If you come before, you are in luck. If you come after, you will need to have a passport by air, sea, or land.

I didn't have any issues regarding my firearms when I came back to Alaska a few years ago, but....When I entered Alaska, I had my camper and boat. They searched everything. When they found my dall sheep, Mountain Goat and White tail mounts, they call U.S. Fish and Wildlife and they inspected that.

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/