Thread: Fishing the Coghill

Question Fishing the Coghill

Can anyone give me some tips on how or where to fish this river? We tried fishing it last year but didn't have much luck so we are going to give it another try. Generally, how far up the river does one have to go to find a suitable spot to fish? Thanks in advance for any advice.

Well, your going to be pretty limited on how much river you have to fish (by boat). I think the weir is only a mile and a half or so up the river, and its a big steel wier thats about 3-4' off the water. So, thats as far as you go. Plenty of holes below the wier to fish. Done good some days, not so good some days. Plan on using the tides to run the mouth. It gets pretty skinny at low tide. Pay attention to the commercial openings. They make a huge difference. River is sort of narrow and windy so be careful. Not a whole lot of room for manuver if you got to share with a boat coming the other way. The water is very clear, so I've always used my fly rod and a small sparse fly. Polar shrimp, small muddlers....

Fish it the same way as all Reds, By lining for them. It is just a meat run, not much sportfish to it.

Default Akres

I know HOW to fish for reds, i was wanting to know where along that river would be a good spot or how far a boat could go up it since it's not that far to the lake.

Default Coghill

The closer you get to the wier, the clearer the water gets and the better the fishing. There is an area closed below the weir that normally opens later in the year. This area has the best opportunities for reds. Taking a prop up the river is not a good idea. Watched a small inflatable with a prop hit a quite a few gravel bars trying to make it up river. It might be walkable, but not an easy walk.

If the pinks are in and you want to have some fun, try casting a spoon into the back eddies.

Thumbs up Thanks!

Appreciate the advice guys! AkATVR, we tried that last year and only got about 1/4 mile or so up the river in an 18 foot Lund and ended up turning around. We also tried fishing the bank closer to the sound with no luck. We might have to go up further like you said but I don't know if i can handle the bugs, they were horrible last year.

Default How?

Quote Originally Posted by AkHunter45
    Can anyone give me some tips on how or where to fish this river? We tried fishing it last year but didn't have much luck so we are going to give it another try. Generally, how far up the river does one have to go to find a suitable spot to fish? Thanks in advance for any advice.
    Confused me a little bit in your original post. Just wanted to point out that I always flew in. Saw a lot of people throw everything in their box at the schools of Reds, only to snag a few and throw them back (sometimes). Never seen one caught legitimately by those using hardware for tackle. People not used to catching Reds, can be disappointed. Kinda frustrating for them to have thousands of fish swimming around them and not be able to catch them, by using conventional techniques.