Thread: Kantishna River Moose Question

Default Kantishna River Moose Question

Has anyone hunted the Kantishna River for moose? We are looking into that area, and I was hoping to get some information on success rates for moose hunting there...can anyone help me with that?

Thought you changed your river to the Yukon ? Buy the float hunting Alaska book if you haven't already
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

Might check with the F&G bios. I looked into that area a few years ago, they told me moose numbers were really low. I seem to remember something like 0.3 moose per square mile. I can't remember exactly, but it was pretty low.

Kantishna is GMU 16. There are others here who will disagree with me, and I keep hearing that so and so heard that somebody got a moose in unit 16, but I've never seen a legal moose there and never met anyone who did. But hey, maybe I'm not going deep enough and maybe a river trip is just the ticket.

You might want to double-check the place name you're referring to and make sure that you're actually talking about Kantishna and not meaning to say Kahiltna.

The Kantishna is unit 20C.
    Windage.............you have reached the point of the dreaded............."pandering". Pick an area and call the area bio for that area. Or call a bio and ask for suggestions. There is also info available online on the ADF&G website on harvest statistics. Another indicator is what type of permit you will need. Harvest ticket hunts usually mean a good population and or not much hunting pressure. Registration hunts mean the Dept. wants a tighter control on harvest numbers.
    o some research on your own and then you might ask better questions.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Quote Originally Posted by FL2AK-Old Town View Post
    Kantishna is GMU 16. There are others here who will disagree with me, and I keep hearing that so and so heard that somebody got a moose in unit 16, but I've never seen a legal moose there and never met anyone who did. But hey, maybe I'm not going deep enough and maybe a river trip is just the ticket.
    You are correct no moose in Unit 16 carry on!

PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post
    There is also info available online on the ADF&G website on harvest statistics.
    Anyone know when the 2013 statistics will be available?