Thread: Florida bear mauling

Default Florida bear mauling

http://gma.yahoo.com/black-bear-maul...opstories.html

Thats one ugly bear, lol, and on top of that there was a herd of them, smiles.

Really tho read some of the comments at the bottom.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_skipper View Post
    http://gma.yahoo.com/black-bear-maul...opstories.html

Thats one ugly bear, lol, and on top of that there was a herd of them, smiles.

Really tho read some of the comments at the bottom.
    We've been trying to get at least limited black bear season down there for a while now. Too many tree huggers and antis. Last season, my buddy posted a photo of one sitting in his tree stand, as though the bear were doing some hunting of his own. Guess that turned out to be foreshadowing.

If you shot one in self defense My guess would be that you would end up in jail.
    If we all agreed....this would be no fun

Quote Originally Posted by tabmarine View Post
    If you shot one in self defense My guess would be that you would end up in jail.
    In Florida? Oh absolutely. As thereis no hunting season for them, they would treat it much like shootig a feral cat and call it animal cruelt. (The animal cruelty law in FL states "...any person shooting or causing to shoot an animal...bla bla BLA..."

Its Florida; if you're white, don't shoot a black bear! You're white, its black- obviously a hate crime, solely motivated by racism!

I wonder if you have to do dlp paperwork like Alaska?

Ron
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science"

Edwin Hubble

That area is not far from me. Bears come and go all the time. The problem is most folks who live there don`t secure their garbage cans. Plus, some fed them as well. The family in question left their garage door ---open.
    They`ve put down 7 at this point in time. And don`t know if the killed the "bad" bear.

Now DNR is getting negative feed back from people from all around the area. Even folks who live in that development.

Quote Originally Posted by Sav .250 View Post
    Now DNR is getting negative feed back from people from all around the area. Even folks who live in that development.
    Of course....until one of their loved ones gets mauled or killed. But until then it's save poor Yogi and Boo-Boo.....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by GrassLakeRon View Post

Ron
    Alaska?...I thought this was a thread about Florida.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by GrassLakeRon View Post

Ron
    No. There is no legal parameter for a self defense killing of a wild animal in Florida. (Or at least, none that I've heard of, and my uncle is a game warden down there.) You are supposed to report dangerous wild animals to FWC (Fish & Wildlife Commission) and they are supposed to take care of it-usually by trapping. (Typically, you call 911, and the local police call FWC.)

It's the same with dangerous dogs (e.g. pit bulls), alligators in your lake (or, oftentimes your swimming pool), in southeast FL, near Miami, it's loose pythons. If you were to shoot an aggressive pit bull (or other animal), you would have to explain yourself to local law enforcement and they will decide whether or not to charge you with cruelty to animals.

To my knowledge, there is no law or ordinance, no set of written guidelines as to what constitutes a scenario where a "DLP" killing of an animal is justified.

Alaska Hunting Forums > Alaska Bear Stands & Baiting > Florida bear mauling...In Florida?...in Florida.
    What's wrong with this picture?
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    What's wrong with this picture?
    Alaska is getting these people all the time and they have only lived by the rules where they came from. When they get here they really don't have a clue how to deal with the wildlife like we do.

Flordia people that come to Alaska without doing research are going to believe the things that were taught to them.

I thought it was a good topic, ( Maybe not )

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_skipper View Post

Flordia people that come to Alaska without doing research are going to believe the things that were taught to them.
    Amen, and amen.

My views and thoughts on many things have changed dramatically since I came to AK 8 years ago, but your principle is correct. I came here with all kinds of ideas, (like evil oil companies, protecting ANWR, etc etc.) now, when I go back to FL, that place and the people seem so foreign now, and they all think I'm an evil, conservative, monster.