Thread: Overboot thoughts?

Default Overboot thoughts?

I have looked in the archives and haven't found a discussion on the topic recently. Any thoughts on light overboot waders? I hear many complaints about wiggy's not lasting, even if used just crossing streams. But I'm not looking to add much weight to my pack. Do they still sell the wiggy reinforced weird camo pairs?

I've used the Neos River Trekkers for a few years. Not the lightest such equipment but I haven't had any issues with durability.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

For form and function the Wiggy's are unbeatable. For durability they rank 3 out of 10 with me. I use them for river crossings (100' typical) and they basically always develop leaks after a couple days. I can handle a small leak, but not if it leads to pouring a quart of water out of my waders. I also have the NEOS River Trekkers and these are definitely the Cadillac of over-boot waders. They also have Cadillac weight and I refuse to carry them around during the hunting day.

I know the simple answer, but don't know anyone who wants to do it. Redesign a Wiggy's to have a durable and abrasion-proof bootie which extends about 6" high.

Is there any way that a coating of Seam Grip or something of that nature could be painted onto the Wiggys to add a thicker/tougher outer layer? I know it would add a bit of weight, but likely not enough to weigh more than the Neo's.

I like the NEOS because when not in use, they can be rolled up smaller than hipboots & are lighter than hipboots. They also have good traction. they work for me. MET

I've had the same pair of Wiggy's overboots Since 2008. They have been on multiple sheep hunts, one goat hunt, to Kodiak in 2009, etc etc. I haven't had any issues with mine. I took Duct Tape (you know, the actual good stuff and not the walmart crap) and lined the inside of it about halfway up the calve with 2 overlapping layers of tape. The last time I looked at the bottoms of mine they were perfectly fine, but as I was instructed, they only come out for crossing, and then I put them right back. I carry mine in the shoulder straps of my Barney's bag so that I don't have to take my pack off when I put them on. Maybe I got lucky and scored a good pair of them???

I have used my Simm's lightwight waders before on a sheep hunt for the first half of it where I was crossing creeks and rivers most of the day, then I stowed them away in a SEALLINE bag and marked it on my gps with my wader boots... You could always try that I guess?

Quote Originally Posted by snowcamoman View Post
    Is there any way that a coating of Seam Grip or something of that nature could be painted onto the Wiggys to add a thicker/tougher outer layer? I know it would add a bit of weight, but likely not enough to weigh more than the Neo's.
    I've been thinking about spraying the outside of my Wiggy's (foot area only) with something tough and flexible. I'm somewhere between 3M Undercoat and FlexSeal, but haven't tried these.

K Dill,
    I'm not sure, but the 3M Marine Sealant is some pretty tough stuff as well. They make it in black, which wouldn't look too terrible as well.

I have been in the same boat on what to do for stream crossings to get into a sheep valley I want to go into. I am really leaning towards AKRecurveAssassin's idea of using my Simm's and ditching them once I'm done crossing the streams though and GPS'ing them. The hassle of taking the Wiggy's on and off every 30 minutes or so to cross areas is making me lean more towards the Simm's/Wading boot idea.

http://www.amazon.com/Stearns%C2%AE-...m/B000HT0GIU/2

I bought 5 pair of these 5 years ago for $6 each. Gave 2 to my brother. They seem to last about 2 years. I'm down to my last pair. Can't find them anymore

Quote Originally Posted by snowcamoman View Post
    K Dill,
    I'm not sure, but the 3M Marine Sealant is some pretty tough stuff as well. They make it in black, which wouldn't look too terrible as well.

I have been in the same boat on what to do for stream crossings to get into a sheep valley I want to go into. I am really leaning towards AKRecurveAssassin's idea of using my Simm's and ditching them once I'm done crossing the streams though and GPS'ing them. The hassle of taking the Wiggy's on and off every 30 minutes or so to cross areas is making me lean more towards the Simm's/Wading boot idea.
    I have only done the Simm's waders once and it worked out pretty well. I think the only reason it really worked well was that i had comfortable korker's boots that didn't rub me badly. The only thing I didnt enjoy about the waders was that it got hotter than heck inside of them and i was very very much so ready to take them off when I did. I think with good boots and good lightweight waders, it is actually a pretty good system. It's loud when you're moving, but you're also down in the bottoms and making your way up the valley, not stalking anything.

If you hunt in areas where water is a constant, then your waders go with you everywhere. That's what makes Wiggy's so attractive is the light weight and packability. The leaks are a frequent downer though. After some studying, I've decided to buy a flexible poly-rubber spray which remains flexible and tough. I'm going to spray the lower boot area of my Wiggy's with this coating/sealant and see how it performs...mainly for durability in abrasive uses like crossing rocky rivers.

Just 55 miles north of ANC ... on the lake

Barney's Sourdough slippers have worked without issue for the last 4 years...little bit heavier than Wiggy's but way more durable...easy slip on slip off...

I own both Neos/Barneys and the Wiggys. Two entirely different missions. I don't think its very smart to compare them.
    You can hike in the NEOS all day if you need. Pretty tough but heavier. Wiggy's (2nd pair, gotta get third soon) are for creek crossing only. Still faster than stripping down but not by much.

If I'm not in the mtns or otherwise hiking ALOT of country I keep the NEOS in my pack and just go…….but always have one or the other now a days.
    Last edited by AK-HUNT; 04-15-2014 at 19:18. Reason: autocorrect is stupid

The Neos that everyone is mentioning, are they the River Trekkers?

http://www.overshoe.com/Pages/Produc...RSHOE&pid=RTK8

yes
    same as sourdough slipper from barneys.

A little birdie says Barney Bob designed and had NEOS build then they boned him and mass produced their own. Birdie is always wrong some of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by AK-HUNT View Post
    Birdie is always wrong some of the time.
    Good stuff! Lol

Sourdough slippers are pretty durable. I've put some miles on them just hiking down the Zachar River on Kodiak. They're our go-to for creek crossings when back packing.
    I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night. -- Sarah Williams

I would recommend (and have had good luck with) the Neo's, but I don't have experience with anything else.