Thread: 172M Flap Motor needed ASAP

Default 172M Flap Motor needed ASAP

Suppose to do my check ride tomorrow but our 172 flap motor decided that it didn't want to extend past 20%

Need to beg borrow or steal. well not he last part but looking for 1976 172M flap motor...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm guessing that you know it is the motor for sure? You have determined that the motor is in fact dead? There are quite a few cheap micro-switches that can fail....

If the motor runs, then it's not the motor. Sounds like you have a rigging issue with the micro-switches. I believe there is a follow-up cable that could be a problem as well. I would have your mechanic look at it, it could be an easy fix?
    I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy!
    Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice, remember life is expensive and ammo is cheep!

By all means, check the micro-switches. The chances are 100% that this is where the problem is . . . . .

172M has the type of flap switch that you have to hold down to lower flaps, right? No preset 10, 20, 30, positions on a gated switch like the later models? Where would these "micro switches" be? I thought the earlier models with electrics allowed you to deploy as much flap as you directed, unlike the gated switch models that had presets and limit switches.

It has a paddle switch that you hold down. Our mechanic worked on it last night and was able to clean up the armature and get it to function faster. Haven't test flown it yet but will shortly. Keeping my fingers crossed. Thanks for the suggestions

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Pid View Post
    172M has the type of flap switch that you have to hold down to lower flaps, right? No preset 10, 20, 30, positions on a gated switch like the later models? Where would these "micro switches" be? I thought the earlier models with electrics allowed you to deploy as much flap as you directed, unlike the gated switch models that had presets and limit switches.
    HAHAHA!!!!
    Awesome!

Maybe the internet ISN"T the best place for flying advice?
    Anyone know which cardiology website is best? Have some surgery to do this afternoon.

Good luck on checkride btw. Have fun with it.

My November Model has the goofy micro position switches built onto the side of the switch. It takes the info of when to stop from the little position indicator rod next to the lever. So the rod can fool the switch into stopping at odd places regardless of what the flaps are really doing.. A real super crappy set up. Whoever designed it should be dragged through town behind a plane tug.

About 15 years ago I had another older Mike Model spam-can that had an activation lever that you just held in place until the flaps were in the position you liked. Plus it had an auto up setting. While I hate electric flaps, that switch set-up was better than the one with the position micro switches. At least from a point of view that it was more simple and less likely to fail. Although it still had some sort of over travel switch that would not let it continue past a certain point. It had been modified to only go to 30 degrees for floats. But I can't remember how...

Good luck on your check ride.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com