Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cabela's was cool but..........

Default Cabela's was cool but..........

Like mentioned in another thread, Cabela's is a destination. Yes they do have stuff that some other local outfits don't carry. I myself am a frugal SOB and since I have already reached the destination, I am all good. I have been to 4 other Cabela's in the country down South and just like the rest it's a nice place to visit, but unless there is a bargain to be had i will look around before making the trip down south, through traffic and dealing with the crowds.
    The cool thing is Bass Pro Shops will open shortly and will have yet another place to check prices. This should also keep them in check as far a raising prices.
    Today after visiting Cabela's and dealing with the crowds and parking, I went over to Sportsmans. I parked up front, dealt with no crowds. I picked up a new Minn Kota Endura C2 50 trolling motor for $209 ( 10 bucks cheaper than bellas) as well as having the 20 mail in rebate forms next to the product which were nowhere to be found at the Zoo. I also purchased a Excursion 5 raft at Sportsmans. Cabela's told me it would take anywhere from 7 to 24 days to be shipped up here. Since I am off to Kodiak on the 26th to fling a stick at a Big Brown, that was unacceptable.
    So for me anyway, it's just another option for my outdoor gear.
    Since it appears from the other thread that people are looking for 22lr cartridges, I grabbed a brick out of the vault of 400,30gr American Eagles. I will give these away to the first person to post the misspelled game animal at Cabela's. There may be more than 1, But this one.......I have something in common with.
    Fish IT! Hunt IT! or *#%@ IT!

I did a quick walk through today, too. Good selection of elk and antelope mounts! Can't really compare this store to the Kansas or Michigan ones; those both have very good representation of their local game; ours, not so much. Hopefully that will improve as the store ages. Also missed the shooting gallery and trout stream. Its still a great store, that will improve the selection of gear available to Alaskans.

One deal to look for, that seemed like a very good value: Cabela's bolo laced wading shoes for under $70. They don't have replaceable soles like Korkers, but they weren't $150-$250, either.

Was it grizz?

Dahl sheep

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Death is like an old whore in a bar--I'll buy her a drink but I won't go upstairs with her.

Wow maybe I didn't pay good enough attention while walking through the store if there was more mispellings
    Hint.....Famous guy down south
    Fish IT! Hunt IT! or *#%@ IT!

Quote Originally Posted by willphish4food View Post
    I did a quick walk through today, too. Good selection of elk and antelope mounts! Can't really compare this store to the Kansas or Michigan ones; those both have very good representation of their local game; ours, not so much. Hopefully that will improve as the store ages. Also missed the shooting gallery and trout stream. Its still a great store, that will improve the selection of gear available to Alaskans.

One deal to look for, that seemed like a very good value: Cabela's bolo laced wading shoes for under $70. They don't have replaceable soles like Korkers, but they weren't $150-$250, either.
    Hmmm... an entire wall of full-sized Sitka blacktail deer, two huge bull moose battling in the entryway, a couple of beluga whales, walrus, numerous brown / grizzly bears, numerous muskoxen, several full-bodied caribou and Dall sheep, a pack of wolves chasing caribou, goats... yeah, I guess they were a little thin on the Alaska game...

They recognize that many of us travel and hunt, or are from other places where we hunted some of the Lower 48 stuff and don't mind seeing an elk, a mule deer, a turkey and such now and then. I'm pretty sure they do this in their other stores, intentionally. Saw a photo of a full-bodied bull moose from a store in Texas, where the nearest moose is, well, "just a few miles north"...

I think they did a great job on the store. They hired local people, they worked hard to adjust the product mix to fit the Alaska market, they bought from local companies where possible... and they tried to match the decor of the store not only to their corporate values, but they customized it for Alaskans (I even saw eider decoys in there!). I can't imagine what they could have done differently to improve on it. I have not been to many Cabelas stores, so my frame of reference is off I am sure. Still, it was well done and they deserve all the congratulations they get for their hard work.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Strahan View Post
    Hmmm... an entire wall of full-sized Sitka blacktail deer, two huge bull moose battling in the entryway, a couple of beluga whales, walrus, numerous brown / grizzly bears, numerous muskoxen, several full-bodied caribou and Dall sheep, a pack of wolves chasing caribou, goats... yeah, I guess they were a little thin on the Alaska game...

They recognize that many of us travel and hunt, or are from other places where we hunted some of the Lower 48 stuff and don't mind seeing an elk, a mule deer, a turkey and such now and then. I'm pretty sure they do this in their other stores, intentionally. Saw a photo of a full-bodied bull moose from a store in Texas, where the nearest moose is, well, "just a few miles north"...

I think they did a great job on the store. They hired local people, they worked hard to adjust the product mix to fit the Alaska market, they bought from local companies where possible... and they tried to match the decor of the store not only to their corporate values, but they customized it for Alaskans (I even saw eider decoys in there!). I can't imagine what they could have done differently to improve on it. I have not been to many Cabelas stores, so my frame of reference is off I am sure. Still, it was well done and they deserve all the congratulations they get for their hard work.

-Mike
    “You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”.

I think Cabelas does better than ANY other "big box" store at matching their stores to regional demands. Anchorage will be my 4th Cabelas, I'm excited...

When I ever make it back up to Anchortown again, that Cabella's will be my first.........
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Opening a store that size is a monumental undertaking. I imagine they did the best they could in the time allotted. . Which basically was to beat Bass Pro and open before them. Cabela's gained a loyalty of customers by opening first. Bass Pro has gained a different image. It is what it is.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    Opening a store that size is a monumental undertaking. I imagine they did the best they could in the time allotted. . Which basically was to beat Bass Pro and open before them. Cabela's gained a loyalty of customers by opening first. Bass Pro has gained a different image. It is what it is.
    What's funny is bass pro was supposed to beat cabelas by using an existing building. Cabela's opened exactly when they said they would. I would be shocked if bass pro is open by dividend day.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

Bass Pro ran into unforeseen construction delays. I heard they're planning to open in early June.
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Martin. Should be spelled marten. Did I win? It was neat being able to touch and examine cabelas gear up close instead of jus lookin at a catalog

Release Lake Trout

Bass Pro ran into unforeseen construction delays. I heard they're planning to open in early June.
    Drove past it today and was surprised to see how much construction has gotten done in the last week. Has some neat looking log siding and log construction for the entry.

Of 2015? There isn't even a front door yet
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

A friend of mine who is in construction in Anchorage told me that the contractor removed a load bearing wall inside which caused all kinds of problems. Not sure if this is true but it would explain the delay. Once you compromise the integrity of a building like that you are in for all kinds of problems (and delays).

Anchorage Suburbanites, part time Willowbillies, Appleseeds, and Weekend Warrior Turquoise Miners!

Carri Ann, Cabela's Anchorage Marketing Manager, and the staff at Cabela's are awesome. They gave our home school co-op an incredible tour a week before the opening. We were in there today with friends from Fairbanks and Carri Ann and some of the staff that we met on our tour recognized our boys and we were greeted like old friends.

It was crazy busy today but we still had a good time. We got to hang out with De De and our boys, and my wife, climbed the ANG rock wall.

I went into Cabela's on Thursday evening for a while. Parking lot was "full" yet I managed to fid a space in about 2 minutes. (I had to walk about 100 yards. No biggie.) No line to get it; I walked right in.

Overall I liked the store. Some of the things I noticed were:

Big selection of food prep and cooking/spices etc.
    I was surprised they had a bargain Bin. They must have trucked used items up to fill that.
    I really liked their camping section. In fact, except for the ultralight backpacker crowd, REI is in trouble.
    I liked that all their tents have little miniature models on display. Haven't seen a store do that in years.
    I liked that they had full size tents up and on display. Looking at a box of a tent is no different than looking at a tent online.
    I was impressed with their gun dog and waterfowl section, although others weren't. There is another thread just for that so I won't retype it all here.
    Waterfowl hunting clothing selection. SW never has more than one rack of waterfowl clothes.
    Ammo and reloading. Well, reloading was WAAAAY better than the Orlando Bass Pro Shop last month. But we all know that won't last. I was there on opening day and all the 44 mag ammo was already gone. (Their HSM in 357 was about $3 cheaper than what it was last time I bought it at SW.)

One thing I disliked was their camp kitchen selection, especially cast iron products. Sure, they had a LOT of cast iron, but the vast majority of it was their store brand, which is Chinesium, which means I don't buy it at any price, not as long as there are Lodge products (US Made) available. They had a "few" pieces of American made Lodge cast iron, but I would have liked to have seen a lot more.

I didn't have time to look at the fishing and general clothing sections.

Overall, I think SW, barring some miraculous reinvention by the hiring of some Lee Iococa-esque management, will be on life support soon. After years of crap, no, horrid customer service, and worse selection, I see no reason to ever go back into SW again.

Competition is always a good thing because the customer drives the marketplace.

Quote Originally Posted by knikglacier View Post
    Competition is always a good thing because the customer drives the marketplace.
    I doubt the owners of Mountain View Sports or B&J or 6th Ave. would agree with you. Personally, I agree, but this takes it to the next level.

Quote Originally Posted by FL2AK-Old Town View Post
    REI is in trouble.
    Not quite. REI and Cabelas/Sportsmans/B&J/Mountain View/6th ave. are in different leagues. The quality of gear at REI is FAR superior than Cabela's. Even REI brand is much better than Columbia and easily outclasses Cabela's house brand. Type of people/clientele are totally different. BTW. REI doesn't specialize in ultralight gear....much of it may be light compared to what most hook and bullet types usually buy, but for the dedicated backpackers/weekend warriors it is higher quality camping gear. AMH sells even more high end gear and has carved out (successfully) their niche which has a lot more overlap than REI & Cabela's.

just my 2 cents....

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast