Thread: Adding some storage to the Hewes PE 260

Default Adding some storage to the Hewes PE 260

This winter I picked up a new to me 2009 Hewescraft Pacific Explorer 260 and one of the first things that I realized was the lack of storage space on the boat. I did a lot of looking online and came across a thread that Yanert started over on the hewescraft owners forum where he added some storage to his galley which looked really nice so I decided to give it a try.

The wall space behind the galley is pretty bare, just a single 1x2 channel running at an angle up the wall.
    1.jpg
    Needing some extra bracing and a place to tie in the sub wall I added to pieces of 1x2 channel up the sides. I originally wanted to weld the channel to the wall but after talking to the welder about burn through to the outside I decided to bolt them on. I countersunk the heads so the facial board would still fit flat.
    2.jpg

Then I installed a piece of 1/8" aluminum diamond plate that I picked out of a local scrap pile

And lastly I installed the storage pieces that I picked up off amazon. They are from sea teak, nice quality racks IMO.

I guess I was was feeling froggy this week because I decided to put a PWS map on the dinette. I sealed it down with a self leveling epoxy from Lowes.

I'm running out of projects, spring must be close.

very nice !! now just add a piece of twine with a small sinker or nut on the end of it to flop over the paper towel roll so they don't keep unrolling with the breeze.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    very nice !! now just add a piece of twine with a small sinker or nut on the end of it to flop over the paper towel roll so they don't keep unrolling with the breeze.
    That's an excellent idea. Thanks!

Very nice Ronster.
    Keep the ideas/results coming.
    BK

Nice work...I miss my boat projects.

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

Looks pretty good... did you go south Thurs... I thought I passed you on the road.

Nah, wish I had. It was at the boat shop till Thursday mid day and the welders until Friday afternoon. Missed my weekend opportunity this week.

how hard was it to add the map to the dinette? That is something I have been thinking about.

Quote Originally Posted by theguru View Post
    how hard was it to add the map to the dinette? That is something I have been thinking about.
    Not bad at all. Bought the map through the NOAA Charts online store and bought a gallon of glaze through lowes. Not much prep other than cutting the map to size, then its just a matter of mixing the epoxy and laying it down. Pretty simple actually.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronster View Post
    I guess I was was feeling froggy this week because I decided to put a PWS map on the dinette. I sealed it down with a self leveling epoxy from Lowes.

I'm running out of projects, spring must be close.
    I was talking about doing this exact thing....How did it turn out? Looks great by the picture.

Turned out great. Put the epoxy on in several small coats if you go this route. It reduces the chances of getting bubbles as it sets.

The bubbles were what I was concerned about. Thanks for the tip!

freezer:grill .JPGRonster...I like your choice of map also.

Here is a pic of the other end of the galley... more food for thought. If your driving all that way you might as well stay for a bit.
    The freezer sits on a roll out alum pan and the grill/convection/microwave oven on an alum shelf. The alum sheet on top makes all the difference in the world when your working in the galley. Hewes has a long counter top option now. I put the jump seat to another use. Oh yes, I replaced the ice box with an AC/DC fridge. Nothing like fresh brownies between pot pulls on a cold April day. With halibut I vacuum pack each 1/4 in a long bag and freeze on board. With shrimp I put them in bags, fill with water and freeze. Staying out a week or ten days is the idea. I'm headed south on Wednesday.

Here's a tip to eliminate the bubbles. Once ya pour the epoxy on, use a hair dryer, heat gun or even a propane torch. A little bit of heat waved over the wet epoxy will pull the bubbles right out pretty quick. I like what ya did over the cooktop. Looks great.
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

Yanert.... What are you using to power all those goodies?

Quote Originally Posted by Rob B View Post
    Here's a tip to eliminate the bubbles. Once ya pour the epoxy on, use a hair dryer, heat gun or even a propane torch. A little bit of heat waved over the wet epoxy will pull the bubbles right out pretty quick. I like what ya did over the cooktop. Looks great.
    Makes sense...Think I will give it a try this week.

AK6Pack... don't want to hijack Ronsters thread...Just want to see how far he's willing to go to make his new boat "his".
    I have shore power, a generator, three group 27 house batteries and a group 27 to run the hauler and downriggers. There are two battery chargers and some battery switches with VCR's. Next is an inverter. Everything but the oven and electric kettle is AC/DC.

Quote Originally Posted by yanert View Post
    AK6Pack... don't want to hijack Ronsters thread...Just want to see how far he's willing to go to make his new boat "his".
    I have shore power, a generator, three group 27 house batteries and a group 27 to run the hauler and downriggers. There are two battery chargers and some battery switches with VCR's. Next is an inverter. Everything but the oven and electric kettle is AC/DC.
    Dont worry about hijacking, I like seeing the ideas flow I like the idea of a freezer/oven, but one of the reasons that I went with the older PE was to get the jump seat behind the captains char. I need the seat when the family is along for a ride. My daughter claimed the seat as soon as she stepped foot on the boat.

I really like the idea of the fridge/freezer. I was going to to this route but I think it would require a lot more power than I currently have. Right now I only have the two house batteries and one start. Im not to sure how the later PEs were set up, but I dont have much room in the transom to add another battery... As it stands right now I have to pull the transom live well to get the two house batteries out, not a lot of fun.