Thread: Budget Boots

Default Budget Boots

Before I start, let me state that I do understand that footwear is the last thing a hunter wants to skimp on. That being said, I just can't afford the $300+ that a high quality boot goes for.

What I'm looking for is a boot that costs under $200. It doesn't have to be a good swamp boot, as I have my muck boots for that. I need something that is comfortable and stable. I weigh 265lbs and often carry a pretty heavy load. For the price, I know I can't expect a boot that lasts forever, but I'd like to know about a few that are comfortable and strong enough for the task.

I may even consider a lightly used pair, if someone had them in a size 11-12.

Hit up the military surplus stores and sites for "mountain/ski" boots. They are black leather, insulated, and are identifiable by the squared off sole in the front, and the rubber grooved at the heel (meant for bindings). I was issued a pair in the late 90's. They are incredibly stiff, and require significant break-in. However, I had more comfortable miles on them than my Zamberlains I have now. Unfortunately, they got lost in a move.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Watch for sales at Shoebuy.com. They have free return shipping. You might be able to get a pair of high quality boots in your price range.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Some good sales going on...... http://www.sierratradingpost.com
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Thanks for the links, guys. Looks like there are some good deals to be had out there.

Besides the military surplus, is anyone experienced with the any particular mid level boots?

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ninja View Post
    Thanks for the links, guys. Looks like there are some good deals to be had out there.

Besides the military surplus, is anyone experienced with the any particular mid level boots?

Well, I am, but it wasn't a great experience. I have a pair of Lowa Renegades I bought at REI for about $230. They are quite comfortable and fit well. They are not very durable. The uppers separated from the sole along the sides, and on the next pair, the heals spearated and I had to have them replaced.

Sooo. they're in your price range, just don't expect to get more than a year or two out of them. (On the other hand, whenever I dis Lowa boots, somebody comes in and says how awesome they are so...)

Read about your experience with them in another thread, and that just sucks. Didn't you say you only used them a half dozen times?

I just received a pair of these: http://www.sierratradingpost.com/han...colorFamily=02 so I can't tell you how they'll hold up. But they are German boots pronounced "han vag". They seem like pretty good quality and got good reviews.

You can see how much they retail for, but with the discounts I got I ended up paying $127. shipped. I actually bought these for work. There's a pretty good selection, you just have to see if they have your size.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

the REI attic has been my personal favorite for getting boots. My last three pairs came from there. I got some brand new lookin la sportivas MSRP $520 or something and picked them up for $250. Same with a pair of scarpa mont blancs.

Quote Originally Posted by ninja View Post
    Read about your experience with them in another thread, and that just sucks. Didn't you say you only used them a half dozen times?

Yeah I didn't wear them much. The half dozen uses was the rain gear. The boots I wore maybe 2-3 months before having them replaced at REI. Then, about...8-9 months later, I was replacing the heels. I still wear them almost every day, and they're comfortable. The repair work that Boot Country did is holding so far, but that's only been about...2 months ago. I've only had them about two years.

Take a look at these guys: http://www.afboots.com/

Allegiance Footwear. They are 100% American made. All they do is leather boots. Supposed to be pretty durable. They make a 10" high isulated leather hunting boot that is $220.00. I've been thinking about buying a pair for a while. Unfortunately, I have no experience with them, nor do I know anyone who does, so can't say I'd recommend them without using them, but they talk a good game and have some positive reviews. Just another option you might not be aware of.

I've found no better American made boot for anywhere from treeline and down. You can fine some good deal on these on e-bay
    http://www.schnees.com/category/Made...tana-Pac-Boots
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

The hanwags are popular duty boots for the Canadian Mounties. I've always heard good reviews on them. Will check to see if they have a good deal on my size.