Thread: Cabelas MT050 Gore-tex raingear

Default Cabelas MT050 Gore-tex raingear

Hey guys, I'm looking for some new raingear and I was wondering what your experiences are with this line of jackets? I will be wearing this jacket everyday, so it needs to be tough. I will also be using this for moose, deer, bear, and turkey hunting along with fishing.

thanks, Alex

Default Cabelas MT050 Gore-tex raingear

Can't speak for that exact jacket but I have a set of cabelas guide wear goretex bibs and jacket. Pretty nice gear that kept/keeps me dry. The coat stopped being waterproof after 5-6 years. The bibs still keep the water out.
    "The North wind is cold no matter what direction it's blowing"

I've used that line for over 10 years. In a downpour, my neckline would get wet, but they may have updated that by now. Just upgraded all my gear to Kuiu, but I'll hold on to the MTO50 in case it's needed again. I like that it folds into its own pocket

Complete crap in my opinion. Unless you're a barrel with short arms Mine didn't hold up worth a ****, wasn't half as waterproof as cheap red ledge throw away rain gear, and as referenced above didn't fit me vey well. Heavy too.... Other than that it's great.

I can't speak to the MTO50 jacket, but I've had good luck with the pants. I've been wearing the pants for 5-6 years. I typically just put a pair of long under bottoms on under them and wear them all day just like a regular pair of pants. The material is very comfortable and quiet and I've never had them soak through, even when spending hours walking through wet brush. I got three years out of my last pair before wearing a few small holes through them.

I'm not a fan of the MTO50 jacket design so I've never even tried one on. One nice thing is that after a couple of years when the external material starts to hold a little water you can spray the material down with a little Revivex Gore-tex waterproofer and it seals everything up pretty well.

Personally I've never felt the need to wear scent lock gear in AK. Maybe if I was hunting whitetails down south I may think different. The "regular" Cabela's gore-tex rain gear worked well for me for a long time. Maybe I need to find some of this "Revivex" that AK Wonderer speaks of. Does SW carry it?
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

The Revivex is fairly common but I don't know if SW carries it or not. The other good brand is Nikwax. Both Revivex and Nikwax have a number of products for retreating gore-tex, soft shell fabrics, tent fly's, leather. I've used both brands over the years to re-treat softshell gear that's lost its DWR coating. I would almost bet that SW in Soldotna has one of the two brands but you strike out, walk over and try at Wilderness Way. Or even the boot and clothing store right there after you turn onto the Kenai Spurr Hwy, forgot the guy/store's name though. Might even be worth looking at Fred Myers.

In Anchorage, AMH has Revivex products, REI has the Nikwax and I believe I saw it at Cabelas as well. Wouldn't doubt if you could find one of the two at Barney's, Mt. View Sports or Sports Authority.

I have upgraded to Kuiu recently but my MT050 will never be far. Spent many days on stand in downpours in the jacket and pants. Never wet. Going on 10yrs old now.
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by AK Wonderer View Post
    The Revivex is fairly common but I don't know if SW carries it or not. The other good brand is Nikwax. Both Revivex and Nikwax have a number of products for retreating gore-tex, soft shell fabrics, tent fly's, leather. I've used both brands over the years to re-treat softshell gear that's lost its DWR coating. I would almost bet that SW in Soldotna has one of the two brands but you strike out, walk over and try at Wilderness Way. Or even the boot and clothing store right there after you turn onto the Kenai Spurr Hwy, forgot the guy/store's name though. Might even be worth looking at Fred Myers.

In Anchorage, AMH has Revivex products, REI has the Nikwax and I believe I saw it at Cabelas as well. Wouldn't doubt if you could find one of the two at Barney's, Mt. View Sports or Sports Authority.
    I have Nikwax for my boots but don't know if I've seen it for gore-tex clothes....maybe it's the same thing? And SW has the Nikwax. You're thinking about Sweeny's store. He's having a huge sale on boots this weekend as well. Thanks......
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!