Thread: Caribou Creek

Default Caribou Creek

At the Outdoor Show in Anchorage we stopped by the gold panning booth and my daughter got to "pan" for gold in their tub. Of course she found two little nuggets and Im $20 lighter after buying the "gold panning kit". I did some research(were in Palmer) and found the Caribou Creek Recreational Mining area. Im interested in taking her up there and letting her get her feet wet and hands dirty. Has anyone visited the spot and have any insight on what I can expect in terms of access for a young family? I don't much care if she finds anything, but just want to spend a day, maybe camp over night and let her get a shovel and a pan and go to it. Thanks!

Get on to Mindat.com and they will tell what is in the area size,amount and type of minerals in just about any creek, river or mountain range. Good site to ry out.

I havent been there myself so can't comment on Caribou creek.
    If it doesn't pan out I would recommend you also try Crow Creek mine in Girdwood. Yes it is a pay to dig site but there is some good gold there and some good hiking in the area. They have some old mine buildings and stuff to look at.
    The views from there are incredible. Being there are no fish in Crow creek there are no seasonal mining erestrictions either.
    I am not a fan of the Garrett gold panning kit as the pan it comes with is not to my liking. It has too small a bottom for me.
    That and anything with Todd Hoffmans picture on it wouldn't be allowed in my house.
    My personal prefference is the Proline professional pan, the GPAA pan then the Keene Sp-14 super pan.
    Be aware gold fever is addicting and it is a fun and rewarding hobby.
    If I lived closer to you I would offer to take you out mining for a day as I have a lot of different mining gear.
    You got out cheap at only $20.
    I must have a couple of thousand+ in recreational mining gear.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Anchorage Suburbanites, part time Willowbillies, Appleseeds, and Weekend Warrior Turquoise Miners!

It'd be nice to get way up caribou creek and get some of them 20 kt topaz crystals

I have never heard of anything but very small gold found at Caribou Creek. Access is a very steep trail down from parking lot. http://www.detectorprospector.com/go...ining-area.htm

Quote Originally Posted by LIVIN907 View Post
    Get on to Mindat.com and they will tell what is in the area size,amount and type of minerals in just about any creek, river or mountain range. Good site to ry out.
    Tried this and it seems the domain is for sale. Is there a certain link that you clicked on?

Google shows that it should have been .org instead of .com.
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

Might be .org I always type the search word never really paid attention to the dot whatever.

I take people to Caribou creek all the time, you won't get rich...you'll likely find places with at least 5-10 colors per pan. I've found as much as 50 per pan...but it pretty concentrated and fine. Good spot to learn to pan without worrying about claim jumping, not a spot to find coarse gold.