Thread: Single 10 vs Single six.

Default Single 10 vs Single six.

I have always been a big fan of the Ruger Single Six and pretty much all of my little game hunting is done with one. The County Shooting Club has a league for 22 handguns. The hitch with the Single Six is that you're only allowed to load your gun one time prior to firing. Once the mag goes into the auto it stays there until the 10 round brace is over. With DA revolvers the cylinder stays closed and with cowboy guns the loading gate stays closed. It all has to do with safety and I agree with the safety first mentality completely but would love to compete with all of those autos with their Red Dot sights using my Single Six with it's irons. Enter the Single 10. I looked at one through a glass case but was pressed for time so didn't ask to handle it. I did NOT like the look of the High Viz sights at all and I cant see that you have any other option in regards to the sights. Are they as bad as they look? Also I have heard rumors that the lock up isn't as tight as the Single Six and they splatter a little lead from time to time. I read that on one of the million forums out there and obviously don't know the poster.

Do any of you guys have a Single 10? I would love to hear what you have to say about them. Specifically I would like to know about cylinder lock up and the sights. Are the notches in the cylinder and the catch that fits in the notches when locked up exactly like the ones on the Single Sixes? The same poster that mentioned the loose fit said that the catch looked like it was stamped rather than machined. I know that I can look at pictures etc. but I would much rather hear it from you guys. Also would Single Six sights fit on a Single 10?

I have a couple of 22 auto handguns that are drawing dust. Depending on what you guys have to say I may trade the two of them for a Single Ten.

Thanks EKC

Do you need 10, are they 10 target strings? You can get a drop in 9 shot cylinder into your six shooter for about $130, Single Six with a 9 works fine and you don't need to change a thing on the gun.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    Do you need 10, are they 10 target strings? You can get a drop in 9 shot cylinder into your six shooter for about $130, Single Six with a 9 works fine and you don't need to change a thing on the gun.
    Yup Andy you shoot 10 rounds. If you have a dud you're -10 points before you start scoring your target.

I can shoot right with the top shooters using my Ruger MKII when the rest are using Red Dots and I'm using irons. I'm pretty sure that I can shoot better with the Single Six than the MKII.

Well it looks like your going to need to buy one to test out and report back yourself. I see no reason it shouldnít lock up as well as a Six, the lock fits a notch same way on both so should align just as well. The tricky/finicky part would be the hand and notches, their shape would be far more critical on a Ten than a Six.

Give it a try, can always sell if you donít like it. There are a passel on Gunbroker started way high but 2 started low and at $200 and $300 right now.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

I own both a Single 9 and the Single 10. The Hi Viz sights suck but one phone call to Ruger fixed that and they replaced the sights for free. Factor in a trigger job as well. Both are reasonably accurate and worth the $$$. Would buy either again.

I don't understand your club. Has anyone there every shot a sanctioned NRA national gallery match? They're always shot in five shot strings. Almost every good .22 target gun only has a 5 round magazine. I would ask if they would follow the NRA national gallery format, like every other gun club.

Quote Originally Posted by Money Pit View Post
    I own both a Single 9 and the Single 10. The Hi Viz sights suck but one phone call to Ruger fixed that and they replaced the sights for free. Factor in a trigger job as well. Both are reasonably accurate and worth the $$$. Would buy either again.
    Thanks Money Pit. I reckon I'm going to have to get one soon. There are some high dollar rigs adorned with red dots that shoot some pretty good scores at the county shoots.....it'd sure be fun to show up and post a higher score using a iron sighted cowboy gun. I'm up to the challenge.

I'll be sure to let you know how it turns out...even if I end up sucking hind tit! Ha!

Quote Originally Posted by springer View Post
    I don't understand your club. Has anyone there every shot a sanctioned NRA national gallery match? They're always shot in five shot strings. Almost every good .22 target gun only has a 5 round magazine. I would ask if they would follow the NRA national gallery format, like every other gun club.
    it's a county gun club. Not sure where the official rules come from. In iowa you used to have to shoot a 10 shot string at a B3 target at 50 feet and score higher than 60 in order to get your carry permit. These are B3 targets and the distance is 50 feet and we shoot 10 rounds. We do that 6x during the course of the night and then tally all of our targets. A perfect score would be a 600. Top guys shoot right around 550 with their red dot scopes. I usually shoot around 520's with my iron sights.

I want to shoot two flights this year once with a red dot on a S&W and once with a Single 10. That would be 120 rounds total on the night. I've never shot with a red dot until last week and that was just a practice night but I shot a 558. Coulda been luck too!

Are you shooting slowfire or timed and rapid fire? The B3 target is typically used for timed and rapid fire. I have a single six and I've managed to shoot a 264 with it in the standard national gallery match format. I couldn't shoot it nearly this well until I had a trigger job done to it.

My Single Six also has a good trigger. I put a Wolf spring kit in it and smoothed it up some. I would try to get a Single Ten to the same "feel" as my Single Six.

As far as shooting goes It's 3 slow fire and 3 timed. On one of the timed ones it's 10 rounds in 10 seconds. I know that I could do that with a Single Ten. It would my lowest scored target for the night but then it usually is for the auto's with red dots.

There have been a few meetings this spring to lay out the summer shoots but I haven't made it to any meetings. I usually just fork over my membership fee and then show up at the shoots and I also take my turn in mowing the rifle range. It's a real good atmosphere. The secretary that organizes everything is a neat little old lady and her elderly friend is the range master. I show up early enough to set out targets and stay to clean up. When my grandson is here from Indiana he loves to go with Grampa to the shoots. I let him shoot in the 22 BR rifle shoots but in Iowa it is illegal for anyone under 14 to fire a handgun.

Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    I let him shoot in the 22 BR rifle shoots but in Iowa it is illegal for anyone under 14 to fire a handgun.
    I saw that just yesterday, a dad was kicked off a range for teaching his kid with a 22. That amazes me that a state full of farms and guns like that could have such a stupid law . . . not even California has that one.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Default Single 10 vs Single six.

I saw that just yesterday, a dad was kicked off a range for teaching his kid with a 22. That amazes me that a state full of farms and guns like that could have such a stupid law . . . not even California has that one.
    Are there age limit rules at any of the gun ranges in and around Anchorage? Was thinking about bringing my kids to the RC range to teach them further on how to shoot. Of course they love the .22LR Pistols.

Andy,

Any chance that 9 shot .22LR cylinder would fit an old 22 Mag with the drift in the back strap rear sight from way back in the last century? It has no hammer block so it is a 5 shooter and an 8 shooter in LR would be a worthy investment since it rides the 4 wheeler most of the time but the 22 Mag is a little hard on Spruce chickens and the like.
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowrider View Post
    Andy,

Any chance that 9 shot .22LR cylinder would fit an old 22 Mag with the drift in the back strap rear sight from way back in the last century? It has no hammer block so it is a 5 shooter and an 8 shooter in LR would be a worthy investment since it rides the 4 wheeler most of the time but the 22 Mag is a little hard on Spruce chickens and the like.
    Well I know it fits any New Model may need some fitting on an Old Model. I put a New Model factory cylinder on an Old Model and had to whittle the hand notches some . . . may or may not be the case with these. Now that I look up the info I see I miss spoke though, they are 6or8 shot (I was thinking lr was 9) 22lr/22mag17HMR . . . but hey 7 live with hammer on an empty aint all bad.. It's Al Stormy down in Silver City NM, give him a call, he will know for sure what it fits.

http://brcrifles.com/manufacture.htm
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpshooterassassin View Post
    Are there age limit rules at any of the gun ranges in and around Anchorage? Was thinking about bringing my kids to the RC range to teach them further on how to shoot. Of course they love the .22LR Pistols.
    Sorry I missed this.
    Only formal range I use is Mat Valley Sportsman's indoor here in Palmer and I canít find any age rules . . . but there are kids events there sometimes. Never been to the two Anchorage ranges or the one way up by Talkeetna.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Thanks Andy!!

I'll give Al a shout and see what works.
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.