Thread: PWS water movement ?

Default PWS water movement ?

Does anyone know of a map that shows water movement as affected by tidal movement in the center of PWS? OR - can anyone explain what the water is doing around the north west side of montague and around Green and some of the islands out in that area?

How does the sound "fill up"?

I understand that the tides in the sound do not very much (very little actually, like 20-30 seconds).

Knowing and understanding the water movements would help me plan where to fish on a given tide or day.

http://coastal.tamug.edu/Classes/Ala...ydrography.pdf

Page 173 shows some of the currents at different depths for whale bay. No wonder sometimes I can't figure out what is going on down there.

I am more wondering which side of an island (well really a rock or a point) I should fish on say during an outgoing tide in the middle of Montegue straight.

This may also provide some insight (but I have not the time to read it today).

http://www.tos.org/oceanography/archive/3-2_royer.pdf

Your chartplotter may have the functionality to displaycurrents. My Raymarine E80 will animate the currents to show direction and speed, it also allows me to jump ahead in 1 hour increments to show future trends. Itís proven extremely accurate and helpful in the Sound for traveling and fishing.
    Every chartplotter is obvious different, took me a while to figure mine out, still finding things out.
    Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.

The general pattern for the Alaska coastal current is from East to West across the North Gulf coast. The majority of the water moves through Hinchinbrook entrance with the tides. Montague strait also transports a lot water in/out of the sound. I put together an animation of the hourly surface currents for a one week period. This data is from the 2009 field experiment where high frequency radar was used to make observations. The animation runs pretty fast in this forum post but if you go to youtube you can slow the speed to 0.25 and step through it.

The surface currents are also very influenced by wind speed and direction. At the beginning of the animation you see a typical pattern of tidal surface current in calm weather. Towards the end you see the influence of a strong surface blow that is strong enough to keep the tides from reversing the surface current. Obviously that water is leaving the sound on the outgoing tide so you would expect there to be a transition layer at some depth. Looks like you already found some good documentation on PWS currents. The main basin is the most predictable but as the paper you linked shows, their can be a lot of variability in the deep fjords and bays with lots of structure.