Thread: Tent Repair?

Default Tent Repair?

So I have a 4 man Eureka Timberline XT that is about...seven years old. (I had to think about that.) The rain fly is no longer shedding rain. Water will hit it and soak in. If the fly contacs the inner tent body, voila, leaking tent. Also, any water that gets near the "bathtub" floor goes right through the floor and then you really ARE in a bath tub.

We really do not want to buy another tent. Correction. My girlfriend really does not want to buy another tent. I want to go buy one of hose Geodesic Dome Cabela's AK Guide tents. But that's separate issue. =(

1st Question: Would you guys even bother with trying to repair (re-waterproof) this tent, or should I consider 7 years the service life of the tent and just buy a new one, even if I just buy one just like it.

2.) If you were to try to reapply waterproof coating material, what would you use? I've seen stuff at REI and I've even heard of using Thompson's Water Seal. Do any of you have any particular product you have used and had good success with? I ask this because about...oh...7 years ago...I went down this road with a different tent. I bought some sort of waterproofing chemical at REI, painted it o the inside of the tent floor, and got bupkis. It still leaked. I tossed the tent and bought the tent we are currently discussing.

3.) If I do apply some sort of waterproof coating, does it go on the inside or the outside of the tent floor and rainfly?

Even if I toss the tent, I would really really like to save the rain fly becuase it wil set up witout the tent body and make a great gear shelter and lightweight camp kitchen area under which to cook with a backpacking stove and stay dry, or to stash packs and gear. (in fact, a new fly is only $65, if I can't save this one, I may buy another one.

I have used the REI sealer for many years on a Cabelas guide tent. Works great, waterproof, and I recommend it.
    One bottle does the floor and rain fly on our 6 man tent.
    BK
    PS- Exterior application.

Quote Originally Posted by bkmail View Post
    PS- Exterior application.
    maybe that's why I had poor results. I put it on the inside, but why should it matter? Doesn't it dry rather thick and coffee colored?

Mine dries clear, exterior application so water does not permeate the material before it is blocked?! Just speculating here....works for me though. The tent is about 20 years old and still waterproof. Cableas guide tent 6 man dome. Initially one application each fall. Now every other year and I barely use any as it runs off when applying due to the dozen times I have coated it.
    BK