Thread: Buffalo Boar for .357 and .45acp

Default Buffalo Boar for .357 and .45acp

I have a Ruger SR1911 .45acp. And a .357 S&W 340 stainless that I would like to put some of the plus p Buffalo Boar loads in while I'm out and about. What do you guys think? Will this hurt the pistols in any way?

The Ruger is good to go with +P or anything else you can buy in 45ACP.

The Smith on the other hand is not 357+P (38s+P yes 357+P no) rated and will not stand up to a continued diet of heavy loads. I had one and packed and shot some hot 357 in it, a box of it over the life of the gun isnít going to harm it . . . but I tell ya it isnít any joy to shoot that hot stuff in a scandium J-frame anyway! These scandium alloy guns are not meant to shoot a steady diet of even normal 357, they are intended to do your range time with 38 and pack with 357. 90-95% of what you feed it should be normal 38 ammo.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

I used the BB in my SP 101 and it didn't hurt the gun but a few friends said never again. The bride uses them in her Mod.19 6" and its also holding up well.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

i have a sig 1911 .45acp. just shot my first clip of 255 BB cast. good bit of recoil but no problems. Though i do not plan on a steady diet of these. i'm sure you are awaek the .45acp isn't the best for bear, but if your like me, its not a bad third choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Spdcrazy View Post
    i'm sure you are awaek the .45acp isn't the best for bear, but if your like me, its not a bad third choice.
    Neither is the 357 but anything is better than going hand to tooth with a bear. Loading them well wonít make them a bear gun ether but will move them some down that road and every little bit counts. I figure worst case Iíll do like the guy that killed one with a Buck knife, jam it into his ear and see how he likes the sound of that . . . I set off a 44mag inside a Metropolitan Nash as a kid and the concoction had me puking and seeing four or five of everything for half an hour. Still, if any possible way you can itís best to pack a revolver in a caliber that starts with 4 or 5 in the bear woods.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    Neither is the 357 but anything is better than going hand to tooth with a bear. Loading them well wonít make them a bear gun ether but will move them some down that road and every little bit counts. I figure worst case Iíll do like the guy that killed one with a Buck knife, jam it into his ear and see how he likes the sound of that . . . I set off a 44mag inside a Metropolitan Nash as a kid and the concoction had me puking and seeing four or five of everything for half an hour. Still, if any possible way you can itís best to pack a revolver in a caliber that starts with 4 or 5 in the bear woods.
    I'd say, you were VERY LUCKY you didn't break both of your ear drums.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

For Bear Defense,,,

Surely, whatever you have, including 357 and 45 ACP, even 38 Special and 44 Special, the bullet choice is all important.

I was advised many years ago that what is needed in that situation is "Penetration". The advisor was carrying a Ruger 45 Colt using Hard Cast bullets at 1000 fps. I dunno if he ever had to shoot a bear with it.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    I'd say, you were VERY LUCKY you didn't break both of your ear drums.

Smitty of the North
    It may have, i couldn't hear right fora month or more and they are still ringing 45 years later. I sure wouldn't advise it!
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    It may have, i couldn't hear right fora month or more and they are still ringing 45 years later. I sure wouldn't advise it!
    I was hearing about the incident with the automatic weapons, and the cops in LA. (Back when the police did not have the same kind of firepower.)

The crooks fired from their automobiles, and it was stated they had great ability to stand pain, because their eardrums were broken almost instantly.

I seriously damaged one ear years ago by firing my 357 too close to my face, (and my ear) (Which is the reason, I've never had much interest in the "Weaver Stance" for handgun shooting.)

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

Would you say the same (non +P) advice applies to my Taurus 617t (357mag)?
    I had bought a box of the Buffalo Boar earlier this winter, but haven't had a chance to fire any off yet.

Its my understanding that yes they would be bad for your 617T as well as the hot 125grain ammo.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Quote Originally Posted by Porterwagner View Post
    Would you say the same (non +P) advice applies to my Taurus 617t (357mag)?
    I had bought a box of the Buffalo Boar earlier this winter, but haven't had a chance to fire any off yet.
    Yup that would be the same.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Thanks for your input.
    I took a closer look at the ammo, as this thread made me think I wasted 50$ on it.
    Turns out it isn't +P as I recalled. 19A version (heavy 180gr 357mag)
    from their website:

"We don't recommend this ammo to be fired in super light alloy revolvers as bullets may jump crimp under recoil, but the ammo itself wont hurt these super light weight revolvers. These revolvers are simply so light that the recoil is severe enough to cause crimp jump."

So I guess I'll just have to see how they perform. The crimp actually looks pretty good, so maybe they will work ok

Quote Originally Posted by Porterwagner View Post
    Thanks for your input.
    I took a closer look at the ammo, as this thread made me think I wasted 50$ on it.
    Turns out it isn't +P as I recalled. 19A version (heavy 180gr 357mag)
    from their website:

"We don't recommend this ammo to be fired in super light alloy revolvers as bullets may jump crimp under recoil, but the ammo itself wont hurt these super light weight revolvers. These revolvers are simply so light that the recoil is severe enough to cause crimp jump."

So I guess I'll just have to see how they perform. The crimp actually looks pretty good, so maybe they will work ok
    Bought a couple boxes of BB "bear buster" hardcast a couple years ago for a trip to AK. 357 Trooper MkIII was what I had and didn't want to invest in a 44M just for this visit. Practiced with one box and [with ear protection] did not find them to have an objectionable recoil. The Trooper was for protection only so fortunately didn't need to fire it on the trip. As others have pointed out, this is not the recommended package for bear protection, but if its all you have, I vote yes with the BB hardcast.

My first choice in bear country would be my 12gauge, 2nd my 480 brush gun, 3rd my 480 SRH, 4th my 357mag... Sometimes light weight is king when you have to carry allota gear.