Thread: Good axe?

Default Good axe?

Hey guys, I'm looking at getting a new axe and I need your help. I want so etching that is sort of a jack of all trades-felling, splitting, quartering, and limbing. I will also be using it for quartering up moose and clearing canoe trails. I need it to be 25 inches or longer. Wood or other material handle doesn't really matter. What would you reccomend?

thanks, Alex

http://www.gransforsbruk.com/en/products/forest-axes/

Very cool axes. Knife sharp. Hand made.

ditto on the gransfors. You will pay more but I think mine is worth every penny

I have a small Gransforsbruk, excellent hatchet! I sharpen it on my wet stone before my hunts. Last year I used it for chopping kindling, fleshing, skinning pelvic bones, ribs, skulls etc... I bought a larger axe from Ace True Value, it is called the boy scout or something like it. Inexpensive and the weight distribution is fantastic! It will split larger wood, cut trees down and the such. But the downside is the steel isn't the best quality. I bought mine at the Talkeetna True Value. Hickory handle.

When it comes to axes....Gransfors Bruks. Hands down.

The quality is superb. Mine is literally shaving sharp. They make one of about any size you could practically use.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Default Wetterlings

My favorite is a Wetterlings. It is hand forged in Sweden and is a pleasure to work with.

The company was started in the 1800's and was bought by the owner of Gransfors Bruks in 2007. For me, the only difference in quality between the two is that the GB axes have a more polished head. Shiny isn't important to me, sharp and comfortable is.

One of the best pieces of advice I got about buying an axe was to go to a dealer and hand pick one. Hand forged axes are all a little different so its important to really look at a group of axes and pick the best one.

Don't get me wrong, the GB axes are great but you can get a Wetterlings for less money that will perform just as well.

Web Site: http://www.wetterlings.com/

The current models of axes made by Wetterlings are on their website but there are other models out there that may suit your needs better. Do a general internet search and you'll find lots of different styles.

Learn something new everyday on these forums. I hadn't see those before, but I bet I would have a hard time telling the different from my GB. And if they cost less, I can buy more of them.

Estwing campers ax. For smaller splitting my Ontario SP8 is nice.

Ron
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science"

Edwin Hubble

I have been researching axe's myself and I learned quite a bit. One thing I learned is that comparison's are certainly swayed with using different lengths against each other with several of the comparison's. Autine makes a beautiful axe but I will be getting the Gransfor's myself. One nice thing is that they are available locally (for me) to actually handle them. I also learned that for a good dependable ATV/boat axe the Estwing and Fiskars are hard to beat- especially for the price.

I love my Wetterlings Large Hunting Axe, but it sounds like their Forrest Axe might suit you better.

http://www2.knifecenter.com/item/SAW...ghs-154-Pounds

http://www2.knifecenter.com/item/SAW...ghs-187-Pounds

Gransfors
    Not quite 26 in..but at 23 inches it has alot of utility.
    The small splitting axe works great in the role you suggest.