Thread: '87 Mercury 15 HP 2 stroke lower unit removal questions

Default '87 Mercury 15 HP 2 stroke lower unit removal questions

I have this older mercury 15 horse 2 stroke and the Prop shaft is bent..don't ask..anyway I need to remove the lower unit or at least I think I do so I can get it disassembled. Its came down an inch and a half or so but seems it won't come on down. Is there something I am missing or should release to get it to drop the rest of the way? Also if I do not need to take it off, what puller might work to pull those shaft bearings out? Mercury only or would a Snapon puller of some type work?
    Thanks for any suggestions.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hold your horses there Whelenator......I was actually just doing this with a 1998 9.9 on the same chassis while trying to put on an extension kit (of which I was sent the wrong one.....long story also)....ANYHOOOOO,......it is your shift shaft. Look on the tiller side of engine in the front, there is a little goofy looking connector that goes to the shift shaft. Flip that little dealio up and to the back and don't let it hit the floor (lucky for me my big toe saved it.....dang).

There should be nothing keeping that whole dealio from sliding right out between the water tube, drive shaft and your now unsnapped shift shaft, so if this shaft connection is already undone and it won't come, then you have something seized.....and I cannot help you

Thanks I'll check that!

If you don't recall disengaging that shift shaft......I'd bet that's the issue.....It took me the second half of my second beer to figure it out myself!

Yes - that is the Clutch linkage on most that I have worked on (I am no boat mekanik by any means).

As with most things mechanical. If you think that you need to hit it with a hammer or use a prybar - there is usually something that you missed in the disassembly process.....usually.

Oh I'm already past the hammer and prybar..plus I am out of beer.
    I'll never get this thing fixed that way!

However I did get the prop shaft out despite all the rest. Midtown Machine is going to try and straighten it for me. They don't hold much hope but it's worth a try. The new shaft is over $200 if Marita can even get one.

Sea Ray in Seattle has them.......again, how I know is a long story, I'm now going with a Bay kit for my extension, but as we were dickering on options, they had long and short shafts in stock.....but they are indeed pricey.

Catch it, not sure if you caught it......or not but I am dealing with the actual prop shaft itself. Not the drive shaft. Sorry about the pun

On a side note ..as it applies to bay kits ..I have a 225 Optimax on my boat and I have a bay kit for the prop side lower unit ..run without for the jet. If I can afford it I plan to add a transom jack in lieu of the bay kit. It sucks messing with it. And I am a mechanic!