Thread: Squid fishing

Default Squid fishing

Never done it, but thought the kids might enjoy it. How do they do it? I've seen the jigs but no idea how it's done. Thanks Kirk

Central Kenai Peninsula

I havent done it either but maybe this video will help you. These squid were supposedly caught near Ketchikan.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Sitka, Ak

Forget the halibut, I'de be eating those squid! Fresh Calamari!

I've gone a few times this spring down here off Ketch, still figuring it out. It's a bit of a work out; during the day we are jigging down in the 800' range, so when you feel the pole get 'heavy' (best way I can explains it since it isn't an aggressive strike), you start reeling her up. Thing is, since the jig 'hooks' don't have barbs, you can't stop or the buggers get off, so all 800' you need to reel at once without pause. With about 300' left your arms start burning good, but you don't dare slow or stop because the last 500' you reeled up would be for nothing. It took us a few tries to figure what the strike feels like, and 800' for no reason stinks. 2 words- Electric reel! I've heard they come up into the 250' range at night, but have not got a chance to try that for myself. They are excellent eating- we have been fixing the bodies (approximately a 10"-ish long body) for dinner and saving the heads and tentacles for halibut bait (ones down here are the 'hook-leg' type). The 800' is a bit to much for my 4 year old to bring up in one straight shot, but if the kids were a little older, I could see it being fun, maybe at night. Just something new to take the edge off the early season, I enjoy it!

Redwood City, CA

Default Squid

Some squid jigs have an eye at the bottom for attaching a line to another jig or a sinker. Try stringing 3 jigs together 1' - 2' apart with a sinker on the bottom, and have three or four people drop at the same time to the same depth. This "school" of jigs can be attractive enough to the squid so the school of squid will follow them up to 100', or even shallower. Fishing at night with a big light can bring them right up to the surface. When the squid are in off of Monterey it looks like there is a well lit city out on the water. As far as I know all of those guys are using electric lights, but the pangeros in Baja use a special Coleman lantern type attachment to a standard propane tank that requires no electricity. There are some big ones (humbolt squid) out there too:

Erik&Brigitte - HMB.jpg

this is how to do it

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    907 775 1692

Kenai Peninsula, Alaska

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    this is how to do it
    That's a lot of squid...!!!
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!