Thread: Cabela's mounts

Default Cabela's mounts

As a taxidermist, I just don't know what to say except WOW Cabela's you couldn't do any better than THAT?

Is anyone else less than impressed with the quality of the mounts at Cabelas? Yes, some are good, and it is apparent those are also newer mounts. But a vast majority are SCARY...plain and simple. (I especially liked the 'attack' beaver, OMG)....

I have been to other Cabela's stores outside and the work in those was sooo much better, overall.
    Taxidermy IS art!
    www.alaskawildliferugs.com
    Your mount is more than a trophy, it's a memory. Relive The Memory!

prior post did not contribute positively to the thread so I deleted it
    Last edited by Bullelkklr; 04-10-2014 at 13:54. Reason: did not contribute positively to the thread

Bought at auctions for pennies of what they are worth or given up by former owners. They do contract for work as well, I know a few folks that were paid for commission work at the various stores in the lower 48. Cabelas isn't about the quality of the work, only the wow factor of the numbers of mounts.

I agree with you Juli, while there are some nice mounts, & displays, there are some that make you say hmm. I wouldn't have paid for that one if it were mine. Maybe some of it may was do to the logistics & time frame they were needed. I'm sure they tried hard, & have a few things to work on just like some of the items they chose not to stock.

Yes,

I imagine it was not easy to come by some of the mounts...given the laws in Alaska that restrict such sales/purchases. The wolves and caribou and some of the blacktails and bears were nicely done - essentially the 'newer mounts', overall...

Still, sad to see the quality of some of the mounts was so poor.

It just makes me think that all the people who see low quality work, and who don't know better, think that if they have a mount done it should 'look like that'.

bullelkkiller,
    I agree with your grandmother - and perhaps I should not have chosen the words I did to express my dissatisfaction, but it is my honest opinion and remains such
    Taxidermy IS art!

I was disappointed in the fish tanks, colorless and beat up hatchery fish. I would like to see a bigger saltwater tank, they could have done some really cool things.

Quote Originally Posted by JuliW View Post
    As a taxidermist, I just don't know what to say except WOW Cabela's you couldn't do any better than THAT?

Is anyone else less than impressed with the quality of the mounts at Cabelas? Yes, some are good, and it is apparent those are also newer mounts. But a vast majority are SCARY...plain and simple. (I especially liked the 'attack' beaver, OMG)....

I have been to other Cabela's stores outside and the work in those was sooo much better, overall.
    There is one Brownie in the "Fishing"area that looked like he ate a few to many brownies. I mean it was way fat and has a smile on its face.

Quote Originally Posted by mike h View Post
    Lmao! Go yogi!
    Taxidermy IS art!

The broker for Cabelas called me & tried to get me to do a bunch of Lifesize mounts for their new satellite stores in different states

I was really interested until he asked how much of a discount I would give them if they dropped off 20 animals at a time.

It seams that POOR Dick & Mary cabela are so special that they cant pay what the other hunters have to.

I told em No Thanks.

As was said Most of their stores are filled with mounts that they bought cheap off of taxidermy.net, so the quality is VERY POOR on most of them.

Then they get some schmuck that wants to work for next to nothing just to say < ( I mounted some animals for Dick Cabelas store ).

Then they find out that part of doing Cabelas such a favor in reducing prices , they now have a new policy that the taxidermist Can NOT put their name on ANY mount in the store & Cant tell anyone that they have things in there as part of the contract.

What a Deal.

I'd rather shop at Sportsmans after that.

RJ Simington
    PRO Taxidermy
    Custom Taxidermy, Experience the difference !!

Quote Originally Posted by mike h View Post
    Never dawned on me that bear came from Jelleystone NP. I am guessing it was Boo-Boo and Yogi had to find a new side kick.

Quote Originally Posted by yukon View Post
    I was disappointed in the fish tanks, colorless and beat up hatchery fish. I would like to see a bigger saltwater tank, they could have done some really cool things.
    Are those burbots hatchery fish too? ...I those were the coolest to see , dont get to see them much alive when I do see one.

That "smiling" marten is the ugliest piece of unintentionally ugly taxidermy I have ever laid eyes on. I mean it's hilarious, but in a sad, pathetic way.
    If cave men had been trophy hunters the Wooly Mammoth would be alive today