Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bears are out..

Default Bears are out..

Just got a call that a friend got a 8-1/2' up the Yentna river yesterday. Said they spotted him laying outside the den. Only bear sign all week they said. Got another report that someone got one up behind hurricane last weekend. That bear came out, went down to the river bottems and then back up to his den. I have been covering many miles behind Eureaka and north with no bear sign yet. Sounds like they are starting to wake..

Going to be another couple of weeks or more in the interior.
    I think the geese kinda got a slap down for being early, lol.

Next week is suposed to be pretty nice tho.

The first and second weeks of April tend to be the beginning of emergence for southcentral brown/grizzly bears. The earliest I've ever killed one was the third week of March. But, the first half of April seems to be the time when most male brown/grizzly bears in southcentral begin to poke their noses out of their dens. By the first week of May, most male bears are fully awake and long gone from their dens. I'll be heading into the field next week.

Yep I have found from the 8th to the 20th are the magic dates. Conditons are terrific this year for getting around..

Last Sunday I followed a set of near susitna landing for a little ways, walking right down the snowmachine trail

Trying to decide whether to go this weekend or next. Heading by skis into the Kenai Mts. Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Trying to decide whether to go this weekend or next. Heading by skis into the Kenai Mts. Thoughts?
    I was down in Cooper Landing fishing a couple weekends ago and was blown away by the lack of snow. A friend of mine poking around down on the peninsula saw a black bear up and about almost 3 weeks ago now.

Cheers,
    Rich
    Pursue happiness with diligence.

Found two sets of tracks around here in the last 3 days. Agree on the magic day of April 20th. You can get them earlier, but there's a lot more out by the 20th. It's on!!! Can't wait to get out there after them.
    Claude
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

If you had to pick one or the other Brian I would choose the next..

Yeah, that's the way I'm leaning, Steve. I might fly and take a look around tomorrow, but if it's not forecast to be hot and sunny this weekend, I'll likely wait.

Yeah, that's the way I'm leaning, Steve. I might fly and take a look around tomorrow, but if it's not forecast to be hot and sunny this weekend, I'll likely wait.
    Heard the gal on the radio today say possibly rain or snow this weekend......
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Default Bears are out..

I'll be hitting the mountains around moose pass this weekend for black bear. No luck last weekend tried a couple mountains south of cooper landing but the low snow and decent weather made of a great trip! The way I see it is every unsuccessful trip I make is going to make the successful trip all that much more enjoyable... Mostly because I'll be in better shape really excited to christen the new rem 700 mtn 30-06

My vote Brian is go hunting this weekend. I think that gal on the radio was wrong haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very little snow down here Brian, I rode an ATV up Stetson Creek two weeks ago and it was mostly mud, rode snow machines once we got up high but it was 75% snow/ice, 25% dirt. There was about a foot of snow off trail.

This site is a great way to plan your hunts.( they are usally pretty good )

http://www.weatherstreet.com/states/...0-forecast.htm

Just move the arrow across the days at the bottom of the map.

Quote Originally Posted by denalihunter View Post
    Found two sets of tracks around here in the last 3 days. Agree on the magic day of April 20th. You can get them earlier, but there's a lot more out by the 20th. It's on!!! Can't wait to get out there after them.
    Claude
    So Claude! Going to have some rooms available around the 20th then?!?

I posted some pix a week innahalf ago showing Agnes standing next to some 11 inch tracks, seems they are wakeing up all over......
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Flew a bit in the Kenai Mountains tonight, and winter still has a firm grip just a few hundred feet above the highway. I'm sure there are a few poking their heads out, but with a marginal forecast this weekend, I think I'll give it another week. Didn't see any sign between Eagle River and Tern Lake, and it was mountain flying almost the whole way. We were flying high and fast, but still, no signs to be seen.

See any Kenai mountain caribou Brian M?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No, but we didn't stick around too long - had to take a quick look and head home to get a friend back for his kid's concert.

been around a bit down here with no sign yet. and the snow is mostly gone with mud coming in its place. looking good for my plans of march 23- april 7th. my new .375 needs to stretch...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast