Thread: Tune up on a MP 350

Default Tune up on a MP 350

I am looking to do a tune-up on my MP 350 this spring. The motor has run flawless for the 8 seasons I have had her. Other than an oil change every fall or 100 hours which ever comes first, she has been gas and go. I am going to put on new plugs, wires, cap, rotor and fuel filter. i have been looking around on the web for marine plug wires, cap and rotor. What i am finding is products that seem to be inexpensive, compared to what i think they should cost.

I would like to hear recommendation for replacement brand names and what others have used for tune-ups Thanks
    2005 20' Weldcraft Sabre XL 350 MP
    SD309 AT
    2009 Polaris Dragon 800 163
    Custom Mod's

Does MP have a parts list schematic so you could order from them? I used the part #s from KEM and cross referenced them at the local auto parts store (for the stuff you mentioned) and ending up getting just run of the mill 350 parts which as you said are cheap like dirt. And thats a good thing compared to outboard parts. I wouldn't do that on parts like the alternator etc, but for what you described, I dont believe there is any difference between "marine" and non. At least, looking at the old dist. cap from Kodiak, it sure looked the same as the new generic one.
    Never wrestle with a pig.
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.

Agree 100% with Yukoner. I did the same research on KEM and had similar results. Unless you are buying something that beefs up the 350 to make it the marine 350 you should be alright. I changed plugs and wires on a Kodiak 350 and it worked great for the 4 years that I owned it.

8 seasons, 'bout time to tweak the impeller if you haven't touched it. It will make a big difference!
    When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.
    '08 24' HCM Granite HD "River Dog"

Yep, I would not fret the difference between "marine" labeled and "automotive" labeled for tune up parts. I do recommend you apply a little dielectric grease to the ends of each plug wire before install, it will improve the seal between spark plug and boot as well as provide corrosion protection. Also, a light coating of Anti-seize to the threads of the spark plugs before install, and do not forget to set the gap properly.

Thanks for the input. I was thinking that the marine application lable would make the parts more anti corrosive in the long run. MP is next on my list to contact for a parts list and to see what there take is on automotive application on a marine motor. The pump in the last 2 years has under gone a massive transition. all stainless steel, new SDR from AT, pretty much half the pump is new.
    2005 20' Weldcraft Sabre XL 350 MP
    SD309 AT
    2009 Polaris Dragon 800 163
    Custom Mod's

If you want to get a few nice parts, just go get a good set of Accel or MSD 8mm plug wires and a nice "performance" brand Cap and rotor kit. my .02
    09 River Wild, 3 stages, LS power