Thread: Caribou from Happy Valley/ Fly Fishing???

Default Caribou from Happy Valley/ Fly Fishing???

Will be up second week of September for Caribou out of Happy Valley airstrip, 70North will fly us out. Don't know whether we will be going east or west of haul road, but was wondering if there is a need in the fly rod making the trip?

if you fly near any of the rivers, I'd bring one for char and grayling. We flew a few times on the slope and regretted not having one. If you have the room I'd do it.

I would def bring a 4 or 5 weight. I was working on a project last year from Deadhorse to the the Yukon river and the grayling fishing was fantastic. I got to fish some creeks well off the haul road and the sight fishing was just epic... Watch out for bears... I'm sure you are aware of this... These are not your typical salmon eaters... These bears eat big things... Bring a rod, dry flies, and nymphs... Good luck...

A 3 & 6wt for grayling and char. Not having a rod and reel means you miss out on some fine eats...

Guess I have some studying to do, would love to take advantage of the opportunity. Thanks for the replies!

Bring a rod for sure. We saw some HUGE white fish and caught some as well. 22'' was the biggest. We saw some monsters that would not bite. This was all a research project. I casted at fish who have probably never seen a man made fly. We never fished the Sag or char water if you get my drift. We captured a couple of beautiful char in our fish traps at a undisclosed location right off of the haul road... There is tons of fishing gin clear creeks while stalking your prey. It's a beautiful place in the middle of no where. Have fun and have a great trip... I hope this helped a little... We had a bear guard with us at all times and we never had an encounter. The one time I fished Slate creek by myself I could smell the bear and see the wet tracks on the bank and I thought I was lost or took a wrong turn down a dry channel. I forgot to bring my mace and my air horn... I was scared because it was new water to me and the smell of that bear was just horrible... I was by myself and it was scary as all He double hockey sticks... I've had more bear encounters than I'd like to remember, but this was a dumb spot for me to be in by myself. This was in ColdFoot... Slate Creek has NICE grayling... Epic fishing...