Thread: Mom's mad again!

Default Mom's mad again!

Number three daughter is getting hitched this summer and the budget crunch is on. I had to squelch hopes of going on a moose hunt with Smokey. I have taken all of my non essential guns to a local gun shop to sell on consignment. I haven't bought a gun for me in quite a while.

Last night I was at the local gun shop and some of my stuff had sold. I was there to collect the cash and get back home. However a gun with a shiny walnut stock in the used gun rack caught my attention. A closer look revealed an early Remington 243 700 ADL in pristine shape with a same vintage and just as clean Redfield 3x9 scope. I have 4 grandsons old enough to shoot and one in diapers. What would you do?

I cooked my own supper and tucked myself in bed last night but mom fixed me breakfast this morning so all is good.

I'd rather apologize to my wife than to my grandkids!

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    I'd rather apologize to my wife than to my grandkids!
    Apologize? I sure would if I had an inkling that I was wrong. I know what your saying though. I asked her what memories she had of her grandpa. She remembers him sitting in his chair watching the Cardinals play baseball games. I asked her what our kids will remember about her dad and again it was him sitting in front of the tv watching the Cardinals play baseball. Then I asked her what my grandkids will remember about me and she said shooting BB guns/22's, building tree forts, scouting deer on the 4 wheeler and fishing. I asked her if she wanted me to take the 243 back and take up watching baseball on tv. She didn't reply then but did when she made breakfast! Grand kids are a blessing beyond measure and they need to know that I see it that way!

There ya go. Right all the way round- both of you. Congrats on a great marriage.

Spending grocery or mortgage money to buy an extra gun may require an apology, however spending money that was from selling another gun is up for grabs IMHO! Looking out for the grandkids is special and I say good on you. I bet your wife was smiling on the inside too!

Well done and said Sir!
    Mike
    Mike
    www.alaskaatvclub.org
    There is a faster way off the mountain, might hurt a little though.

EKC-
    I don't know where your wife is hanging out, but you really need to move out of your mom's house.

Good job EKC. Things that are right feel right and I think you will sleep well with your decision.

Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    Apologize? I sure would if I had an inkling that I was wrong. I know what your saying though. I asked her what memories she had of her grandpa. She remembers him sitting in his chair watching the Cardinals play baseball games. I asked her what our kids will remember about her dad and again it was him sitting in front of the tv watching the Cardinals play baseball. Then I asked her what my grandkids will remember about me and she said shooting BB guns/22's, building tree forts, scouting deer on the 4 wheeler and fishing. I asked her if she wanted me to take the 243 back and take up watching baseball on tv. She didn't reply then but did when she made breakfast! Grand kids are a blessing beyond measure and they need to know that I see it that way!
    I don't have grand kids yet, but I hope they will remember me that way! I'd say your priorities are straight!

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    EKC-
    I don't know where your wife is hanging out, but you really need to move out of your mom's house.
    If I were to ask "Wife, where are my slippers?" I might not get a reply. She is very good at both roles but takes pride in being called mom. She is from the back woods of Missouri and back when it was puppy love she introduced me to her Grandmother by saying "EKC" this is Ma Calvin". When Grandpa Calvin was 85 years old his 60 year old children still called him "Daddy". Down there they have there very own dialect. They don't have "22 rifles" or "12 ga. shot guns" what ever primary game that particular gun is used for is what the gun is labeled. Go fetch me my skirl gun, all of their shotguns have the barrels hacked off at 20" and are called "quail guns" or "quail gitters".

I was but 17 years old when we got married and she was 18. I was NOT dry behind the ears as they say. So she sorta mothered me too! Still does!

You can take the girl out of Missouri but you can't take the Missouri out of the girl. At least I haven't been able to in 38 years

U did good EKC!

We had the 5 and 7 yr old grandsons this past weekend and when we were driving them home the oldest said " Granma, when you and Papa die I will do ANYTHING to get your golf cart" ! We have a utility cart with a dump bed they drive all the time and it appears they are already divvying up our stuff! LOL
    Monday the 7 yr old broke his ankle and had just started his long awaited baseball practices so he may be sidelined this season
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

If I were to ask "Wife, where are my slippers?" I might not get a reply. She is very good at both roles but takes pride in being called mom. She is from the back woods of Missouri and back when it was puppy love she introduced me to her Grandmother by saying "EKC" this is Ma Calvin". When Grandpa Calvin was 85 years old his 60 year old children still called him "Daddy". Down there they have there very own dialect. They don't have "22 rifles" or "12 ga. shot guns" what ever primary game that particular gun is used for is what the gun is labeled. Go fetch me my skirl gun, all of their shotguns have the barrels hacked off at 20" and are called "quail guns" or "quail gitters".

I was but 17 years old when we got married and she was 18. I was NOT dry behind the ears as they say. So she sorta mothered me too! Still does!

You can take the girl out of Missouri but you can't take the Missouri out of the girl. At least I haven't been able to in 38 years
    Ha ha! That's cool. In this day of serial marriages, you and I are lucky. 38 years for me and my wife. Nice to have wives who can put up with us and allow us some gun buying flexibility, huh?

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Married 42 years here.

Having spent way more than twice as much of my sordid life in the Greatland, I can no longer call myself a Missourian. However, I've learned that them old Missouri Ways are often superior to what we have now.

EKC:
    You don't really wanna get the Missouri out of your wife. That would be tragic. There are values, and then there are values, that aren't the same.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    Married 42 years here.

Having spent way more than twice as much of my sordid life in the Greatland, I can no longer call myself a Missourian. However, I've learned that them old Missouri Ways are often superior to what we have now.

EKC:
    You don't really wanna get the Missouri out of your wife. That would be tragic. There are values, and then there are values, that aren't the same.

Smitty of the North
    The only Mo. trait that I prohibit would be the lawn ornaments. No old bath tubs or pink flamingos to mow around. Speaking of mowing. It was 81 degrees on saturday and I mowed leaves. I woke up this morning to howling winds winter white all over again.

It was same here EKC, looks funny to see rows of new onions in my garden sticking out of the snow... Turkey season opened here Monday but weather has been to nasty to go - maybe tomorrow? Gotta dig the long johns back out! 28 here this AM.
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

The only Mo. trait that I prohibit would be the lawn ornaments. No old bath tubs or pink flamingos to mow around. Speaking of mowing. It was 81 degrees on saturday and I mowed leaves. I woke up this morning to howling winds winter white all over again.
    Must be something about those girls from MO.. The lady that has let me live with her for the last 49.5 yrs was also from MO,

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by Old John View Post
    Must be something about those girls from MO.. The lady that has let me live with her for the last 49.5 yrs was also from MO,
    There IS.

They're smart enough to marry Long-Suffering guys like YOU and EKC. Too bad though, that they were stuck with living in Iowa and Illinois. (Especially when Missouri is so Close.)

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.