Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jigs how big is too big?

Default Jigs how big is too big?

So on a whim I ordered a very large Bullet head jig mold while I was ordering some other molds.
    I have all the other sizes of bullet heads from 1oz to 32 oz.
    I hadn't used the mold yet and was talking to Tony Davis from Kodiak Custom the other day while at the sportsmans show in Anchorage.
    He wanted to know what the biggest jig I make is and when I told him it was a 48oz bullet head he asked me to make him one.
    So here is what I came up with. Super glow white for the base coat a Chartruese back with black stripes. All is done with powder paint.
    It certainly was interesting to paint as it woulodn't fit a standard fluid bed cup so I had to make another one that was much taller.
    The powder paint airbrushes also came in handy on this project.
    The hook is a Mustad 12/0 3407 straight shank and the eye is a #3 long stainless steel eye.
    Why a jig so large? I figured why not I have used 3# weights and bait in Cook Inlet a few times so why not a 3# jig?
    Not sure I will make a ton of these or fish them that often but certainly will be an option.
    bigjig1_zps0d356b83.jpg

bigjig2_zpsc588d863.jpg
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Oooo....I might be interested. Though it's hard to tell, can you put a longer shanked hook on it? Want to fish deep with big baits at some point this year. How big is that hook. 3lbs of lead might distort the perspective.

AlaskaKayakFisher.com
    Guidesak.blogspot.com
    My personal pages...I'm not a guide.

Quote Originally Posted by Kardinal_84 View Post
    Oooo....I might be interested. Though it's hard to tell, can you put a longer shanked hook on it? Want to fish deep with big baits at some point this year. How big is that hook. 3lbs of lead might distort the perspective.

AlaskaKayakFisher.com
    Guidesak.blogspot.com
    The hook is a 12/0 Mustad 3407 as that is what the mold was machined for by the mold maker.
    I can easily make it a little longer by just not putting the hook as far into the mold. For these ones I put the SS eyelet onto the eye of the hook. So basically the hooks eye extends as far as the line tie eye.
    I would have to do some research into seeing if there is a longer shank in a 12/0 hook that would fit this mold. I have to order all my jig hooks as very few are available locally which is a pain if you just want one or two to test in your mold.
    There are other ways to fish deep as well. Using tapered slab jigs like the Cook Inlet candy jig you can get pretty deep pretty fast. And that jig weighs 16,20,and 25oz.
    Stop by my shop sometime and we I will hook you up with whatever you need.

You could always use a trailer hook on the tail of the jigs hook as well.

Anything over 12oz is to big for me. I carry 16's for clients, but I personally won't jig them, to much work. That 48 you got there would be hung on a downrigger
    Life's to short for an ugly boat

Blaze N Abel Charters
    Kodiak, AK
    www.alaska-fish.com
    https://www.facebook.com/BlazeNAbelCharters/?fref=ts

Thats the same problem I had with larger molds, couldn't find a large enough hook that would work.

I would think that shank length would be all you need to adjust, the gap is sufficient for sure. Seeing this has got me fired up to pour a few more before season starts......nice paint job.....

Question is, what sort of monster pool cue would you need to jig that puppy. And if I order a few do they come with steroids

Chris,

That's a monster! I have a 24 oz bullet head mold and that's the heaviest jig I've used. My interest in jigging tends to wane when I have to go over 16 oz, but the big jigs do have their place.

I think if I fished in cook inlet or k-bay more often I could see using a bigger jig, but I could also see getting an electric reel with a jigging function
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Could i use that jig with my clarus salmon rod with 30lb test?

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

Charterboat Operator

I want a couple!!!! 32 is the biggest i have on the boat now, that 48 would be AWSOME!!!! notin like back bouncing those things out when the tide gets rippin

You can use what ever you want.
    Quote Originally Posted by hoose35 View Post
    Could i use that jig with my clarus salmon rod with 30lb test?

Quote Originally Posted by POLE BENDER View Post
    I want a couple!!!! 32 is the biggest i have on the boat now, that 48 would be AWSOME!!!! notin like back bouncing those things out when the tide gets rippin
    Or just use the 25oz. vertical and stay straight down.

Was fishing with Crazy Ray's last year and they were flagging 3# lead/bait combos while I was straight down with Chris's 25s.

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

Quote Originally Posted by DRIFTER_016 View Post
    You could always use a trailer hook on the tail of the jigs hook as well.
    You bring up a good point.
    I am guessing I could rig that up with either the 3407 that the mold accepts or a 34081 wich is the same hook but with a bigger eye. It could easily be rigged to piggy back the hooks like when you gang rig them. And I have the hooks and materials for that in my shop already.

Quote Originally Posted by hoose35 View Post
    Could I use that jig with my clarus salmon rod with 30lb test?

I was thinking I would test it out using one of my ugly stick UL trout rods with 6# test on a shimano AXUL-SA 500 UL reel.
    On a more serious note these would be rigged on my Penn VS3080RS56 tuna stick style rods with Penn 345GTI reels and 80# test tufline.
    Certainly not for use on rods that are not rated for bigger jigs.

Quote Originally Posted by AK2AZ View Post
    Or just use the 25oz. vertical and stay straight down.

Was fishing with Crazy Ray's last year and they were flagging 3# lead/bait combos while I was straight down with Chris's 25s.
    This is some straight up good advice. Those 25 oz jigs were designed just for that reason.
    This mold was bought because on a whim I wanted to say I make the biggest jigs in AK. I had $800 in molds on order and figured why not throw this mold in with them.

Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    The hook is a 12/0 Mustad 3407 as that is what the mold was machined for by the mold maker.
    I can easily make it a little longer by just not putting the hook as far into the mold. For these ones I put the SS eyelet onto the eye of the hook. So basically the hooks eye extends as far as the line tie eye.
    I would have to do some research into seeing if there is a longer shank in a 12/0 hook that would fit this mold. I have to order all my jig hooks as very few are available locally which is a pain if you just want one or two to test in your mold.
    There are other ways to fish deep as well. Using tapered slab jigs like the Cook Inlet candy jig you can get pretty deep pretty fast. And that jig weighs 16,20,and 25oz.
    Stop by my shop sometime and we I will hook you up with whatever you need.
    Thx Chris!!

I will stop by hopefully sooner than later. Off a kayak my range horizontally is limited due to it being human powered. But I am researching my options into reaching less heavily fished water by going deeper. I'm one bonus or jettisoning a girlfriend (unfortunately or fortunately true depending on perspective , lol) from investing in an electric reel set up.

I'll let you know when I know in advance I'll be in the area!!

AlaskaKayakFisher.com
    Guidesak.blogspot.com

The new Cabelas store has 1/2 an isle dedicated to 24 oz squid jigs. Their research must have shown a nich!

Quote Originally Posted by NORTH2AK View Post
    The new Cabelas store has 1/2 an isle dedicated to 24 oz squid jigs. Their research must have shown a nich!
    If I ever get up there I will have to check that out.
    Hopefully they are selling quality jigs and not the chinesium stuff. I hate it when a jig looses half its paint on the first trip or the cheap brass eyes twist off on a 20# fish. Had that happen many many times.
    But have not had the issue with the stainless steel eyes on my own jigs and the powder coat paint jobs.

Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    If I ever get up there I will have to check that out.
    Hopefully they are selling quality jigs and not the chinesium stuff. I hate it when a jig looses half its paint on the first trip or the cheap brass eyes twist off on a 20# fish. Had that happen many many times.
    But have not had the issue with the stainless steel eyes on my own jigs and the powder coat paint jobs.
    Your jigs do hold up quite well Chris. A couple of yours that I fished heavily last season still look very good. Others like the Williamson jigs including the Vortex shed paint very fast. Actually most of the jigs that I have look pretty battered.

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

Chris,

Still interested in getting a few of the biggens..

got to help "teach" my stepson how to fish, and not loose line...

Chris
    Disabled Vet

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast