Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cabelas duck section

Default Cabelas duck section

Was impressed with the decoys they have there. Also you can tell they out time and effort to make sure they have right Alaska stuff up here. Will be spending time there in the duck and retriever section

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Think Ill check it out once later in the summer without the growds
    Is it opening day of duck season yet
    Member of Alaska Waterfowl Association

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Gray View Post
    Was impressed with the decoys they have there. Also you can tell they out time and effort to make sure they have right Alaska stuff up here. Will be spending time there in the duck and retriever section

I was a little disappointed with the waterfowl section. It was nice to see they had sea duck decoys. I was hoping to see a bigger variety of decoy brands. I was hoping to see more dog e-collars as well, I was in their store in Minnesota last year and they had 4 times as many collars.

Store much smaller then what I expected and with that I
    Knew certain section would suffer
    And duck section was one.

Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Yeah, but it isn't duck season, it will probably expand when the season gets closer. Plus they usually have some "waterfowl weekends" and events which will be nice.

Store much smaller then what I expected and with that I
    Knew certain section would suffer
    And duck section was one.

I'm still overall happy with what they have. They don't have military discount. But four times a year they'll do Hometown heroes for law-enforcement EMS and military at employee discount rate

Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Always check em out on Veteran's Day and bring your ID.

I wasn't impressed either. I was hoping for a better decoy selection. As far as the dog training section, I was even less impressed. no as much stuff as I expected. Oh well. I guess that's to be expected up here. Duck hunting and dog training usually takes a back seat to other high dollar items.

to the people who think the duck hunting section is small. like already said its not duck season or not even close to duck season so why would they stock and display a ton of duck hunting stuff. i dont know how many store you have been to out of alaska but i grew up by 2 cabelas and they dont have their full set ups for certain hunting seasons when its the off season.
    I will never be a "Prostaffer" its not that I am not good enough
    but its because I refuse to pimp products for free.

That's what I was thinking, surely their icefishing section was slim as well.

And I'm pretty sure that duck hunting has the priciest meat per pound I've experienced......and considering the drive of most waterfowlers, I would consider them a captive audience that is willing to spend bucks.

Surely by Aug. 1 that area will be stocked.

When I was there Tuesday night there was on guy that had a cart with a few boxes of sea duck decoys. I haven't sea duck hunted in a few years but it is nice to have some sea duck decoys available to buy locally. I wish Cabela's still carried Avery decoys and especially dog training equipment. I was really disappointed the selection of e-collars as well. They did not have any dogtra collars, but they offer them in the catalogue so the free shipping is an option, but it would be nice to have a few on display.

I wonder if the line is already forming for the 11am opening

did they have a large/good selection of goose and duck calls?

Quote Originally Posted by AK.airboater View Post
    did they have a large/good selection of goose and duck calls?
    No, the selection was pretty poor. Hopefully closer to duck season that section will improve too.

That line is nothing compared to the check out line. I put my stuff back and left haha. Surf scoters looked sold out. We're some eider decoys. Also some Brandt decoys that looked real nice

Sent while partying

Alaska swamp man pro staff
    I will never be a "Prostaffer" its not that I am not good enough
    but its because I refuse to pimp products for free.

Good Lord! I thought it was bad at the "VIP" night on Tuesday. I thought the last 3 days of soft openings would cut down on the crowds today, guess not. I wonder if this is normal for cabela's or if they are surprised by the turnout. This weekend will be a zoo!

Quote Originally Posted by kwackkillncrew View Post

That line is nothing compared to the check out line. I put my stuff back and left haha. Surf scoters looked sold out. We're some eider decoys. Also some Brandt decoys that looked real nice

Sent while partying

Alaska swamp man pro staff

I don't know what you guys are complaining about. I thought it was pretty good. Better than the Bass Pro in Orlando and better than the Cabela's at Grand Prairie this past summer. They had more duck calls than Sportsman's on Old Seward. More decoys. More...check that...WAAAAAY more waterfowl clothing than Sportsman's, and, I thought, a huge dog training section. Compared to local places at least. The only thing I didn't see that I was looking for a dog boarding ladder/ramp.

As far as I am concerned, Sportsman's will have to astronomically improve their selection and the quality of their staff to compete with what I saw tonight. Barring that, and as long as Cabela's doesn't slide into mediocrity, I see no reason to ever step inside Sportsman's again.

I havn't been yet, but will be in town Monday and plan on stopping by. I don't recall what year sportsmans opened their first store in Anchorage, I think 6-7 years agom maybe even 10. Up till then, I had never been in a Sportsmans or Cabelas or Bass Pro. It was overwhelming to me, they had so much inventory, i was amaized. And it gave us someplace to shop other then Mountain View, or K Mart, or Payless and other stores with high prices and low inventory. Cabelas is fancier, with all the decorations, displays, etc, but they are all after your dollar just like the competition. I will shop Cabelas, and Bass Pro, but intend to remain loyal to Sportsmans. They are not perfect, and have had their ups and downs, but they are the ones who first took the chance and came into Alaska with their big stores, several of them, and i hope the two newcomers don't force them to go under. Bud
    Wasilla

I will shop all of them still but will only spend my money where I can get the best value for my dollar.
    Is it opening day of duck season yet
    Member of Alaska Waterfowl Association

Quote Originally Posted by skybust View Post
    I will shop all of them still but will only spend my money where I can get the best value for my dollar.
    I agree with that. Living in the valley, I expect I will continue to shop sportsmans unless I happen to be going into Anchorage. Bud
    Wasilla

Quote Originally Posted by yukon View Post
    Good Lord! I thought it was bad at the "VIP" night on Tuesday. I thought the last 3 days of soft openings would cut down on the crowds today, guess not. I wonder if this is normal for cabela's or if they are surprised by the turnout. This weekend will be a zoo!
    what he said. Wednesday night was not that bad but they did not have any specials for current card holder or rewards members......... That sucked.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast